MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

I've been pretty suspect of RDA at WW but I really can't doubt him anymore. He was absolutely excellent last night although I'm unsure if his leg kicks reignited an old injury for Lawler or just absolutely crippled him. Also to take from that fight is what we already knew in that Lawler is an absolute don. Unless you're putting him to sleep with one or two punches then he isn't stopping. Slightly gutted he was so crippled by the third as he comes on so strong in the later rounds and feel would've got one of those Robbie GNAR KILL wars that we love so much.

Ponz v Perry was absolutely razor tight in terms of skills but felt 30-27 score was absolutely bang on. You do feel Perry will push into the top ten within long and he's definitely a seller for WME so imagine he'll be around for a long long time.

Lamas getting absolutely flatlined was probably the highlight of the card. An absolute monster ko and mixes shit up at FW further so absolutely no complaints from me. Sucks for Lamas as was a high risk low reward type fight but dems the breaks.

On ‎17‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:26, mrcat1990 said:

...You do feel Perry will push into the top ten within long and he's definitely a seller for WME so imagine he'll be around for a long long time...

Perry is exciting to watch...borders on the cocky arsehole/loveable rogue personality much like early Conor (before the money) and Cody Garbrandt. Would like to see him fight Darren Till...especially after he confronted him after Till fought Cowboy. All in all I thought it was a belter of a card for a fight night and the fights themselves lived up to the promise.

Perry is exciting to watch...borders on the cocky arsehole/loveable rogue personality much like early Conor (before the money) and Cody Garbrandt. Would like to see him fight Darren Till...especially after he confronted him after Till fought Cowboy. All in all I thought it was a belter of a card for a fight night and the fights themselves lived up to the promise.
It'd garner alot of interest and be a good seller in terms of two cocky twats who are entertaining strikers. I'm still sceptical about how good Till actually is but feel he should be aspiring to fight someone else also coming off back of a win in the top ten. Ponzibbio funnily enough being a glaring candidate.

Agree with you regarding being a quality set of fights. After a year of plentiful weak Fox/Fight Night cards that one was really bloody good in terms of talent and fights that delivered. Take note 2018.

2017 predictions review: Pleased with these! Ngannou has his title shot, Jones gave me two of my other three tips and I have one shot to get the full house with the Khabib year end fight! 

“One to watch: Francis Ngannou. Obviously he's already in the UFC so gonna predict he can make a title run or at least take a big scalp towards doing so by this time next year.

Three bold predictions for 2017 -

1. Khabib will lose his undefeated record

2. Jon Jones will come back and get drug busted again

3. A reigning champion will get drug busted “

Edited by Christophe

Let’s fire all the usual categories up...

Fighter of the year 2017 -Max Holloway

Female fighter of the year 2017 - Amanda Nunes

European fighter of the year 2017 - Francis Ngannou, gonna use the French angle here to wedge Ngannou into an award. 

Best fight of the year 2017 - Alvarez vs Gaethje

Worst fight of the year 2017 - Penn vs Rodriguez, horrible booking resulting in a one sided bludgeoning 

Round of the year 2017 - Gaethje vs Johnson round 2

KO of the year 2017 - Daley vs Ward - flying knee

Submission of the year 2017 - Oleinik vs Pesta - Ezekiel choke

Comeback of the year 2017 - GSP

Breakthrough fighter of 2017 - Sergey Pavlovich 

Upset of the year 2017 - Thug Rose vs Joanna Champ

One to watch in 2018 - Martin Nguyen

Three bold predictions for 2018 

1 - Conor McGregor retains vs  Tony Ferguson

2 - Conor McGregoe retires

3 - Joanna Champ regains her title 

Edited by Christophe

Here were my 2017 bold prediction.

1. Holloway will become unified FW champ.

2. Jon Jones will return in June and keep out of trouble following this.

3. CM Punk will fight in the UFC again.

One on the spot. One went to absolute pot and the other keeps getting mumbled about without anything happening. 2/3 in 2016 and 1/3 in 2017 means I must be due a 3/3 next year right? Did win prediction league me and my mates run each year so still consider myself a UFC soothsayer regardless.

2018 bold predictions

1) Darren Till won't make a dent in the top three at WW.

2) Joanna Jedrzejczk will regain her title.

3) TJ Dillashaw will lose his first title defence.

12 hours ago, mrcat1990 said:

It'd garner alot of interest and be a good seller in terms of two cocky twats who are entertaining strikers. I'm still sceptical about how good Till actually is but feel he should be aspiring to fight someone else also coming off back of a win in the top ten. Ponzibbio funnily enough being a glaring candidate.

Agree with you regarding being a quality set of fights. After a year of plentiful weak Fox/Fight Night cards that one was really bloody good in terms of talent and fights that delivered. Take note 2018.

I'd take Till v Ponz, love a good slugfest. On the card, had the main event been a title fight it wouldn't have looked out of place as a 2017 UFC pay-per-view. As you say, hope they take learning from this for next year.

Any of you lads be interested in a year long ufc picks contest?

It's called toutmaster, $50 entry. Last year 190 entered, I'm currently 54th with 1 card to go, winner gets 4000, 2nd gets 2k and 3rd 1k.
Prizes for top 15 and a lucky loser.

Just check the tweet I've linked. It's really well run, I just use Google sheets on my phone to make the picks. Gives you an interest in every single fight aswell.

On 19/12/2017 at 21:51, mrcat1990 said:

Here were my 2017 bold prediction.

1. Holloway will become unified FW champ.

2. Jon Jones will return in June and keep out of trouble following this.

3. CM Punk will fight in the UFC again.

One on the spot. One went to absolute pot and the other keeps getting mumbled about without anything happening. 2/3 in 2016 and 1/3 in 2017 means I must be due a 3/3 next year right? Did win prediction league me and my mates run each year so still consider myself a UFC soothsayer regardless.

2018 bold predictions

1) Darren Till won't make a dent in the top three at WW.

2) Joanna Jedrzejczk will regain her title.

3) TJ Dillashaw will lose his first title defence.

You'll be 100% wrong on the first one. 2 and 3 look about right to me.

When you start fighting your going to tap. Proberly a lot. And depending on your current fitness level it will hurt the lungs a lot also. But stick with it and ina few weeks someone else will come through the door like you are now and you'll tie them in knots.

Mostly. Enjoy it.

Probably the wrong thread but I’m starting up jiu jitsu in a couple of weeks. Going in pretty blind but it’s something to do! Anyone done/do it?

On the UFC topic, I’m buzzing for Cyborg v Holm

Yeah I've done it for 4 years next month. You'll enjoy it but need to stick with it. Don't give up. You will get thrown around and tapped a lot. Everyone you tap though it gives you a chance to learn. Let us know how you get on.

I'm really looking forward to seeing which Condit comes to fight tonight. Plenty of good fights tonight and I think Cyborg gets beat to be honest.