MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

Nonsense. 

He's justifying his p4p #1 spot right now but name one single fighter DJ has beat of note? Jones, Silva, GSP, Fedor all fought top class competition. They fought and beat many a legend.

DJ is amazing. But he's always gonna be hampered by the fact that there just aren't that many great fighters at 125lb.

The talent depth may not be particularly smashing at flyweight, but he more than deserves his name being spoken with amongst those mentioned. He's just submitted arguably the best bjj practitioner in mma outside of Damian Maia. Silva spent many years in his prime fighting when the talent pool wasn't as deep, ie Rick Story's hilarious attempt at countering thai plum clinch with body hooks which was particularly loltastic. Yet Silva is happily spoken about as the GOAT.

The talent depth may not be particularly smashing at flyweight, but he more than deserves his name being spoken with amongst those mentioned. He's just submitted arguably the best bjj practitioner in mma outside of Damian Maia. Silva spent many years in his prime fighting when the talent pool wasn't as deep, ie Rick Story's hilarious attempt at countering thai plum clinch with body hooks which was particularly loltastic. Yet Silva is happily spoken about as the GOAT.

Wilson Reis has good bjj but certainly not anywhere near Maia, Jacare etc. Not sure I've ever even heard him being described as some sort of bjj Legend before.

Rick Story never Fought Silva. Silva beat the likes of Hendo, Belfort (both TRT abusers at the time) plus Sonnen, Marquardt, Rich Franklin twice, Coté Nick Diaz the list goes on. Plus moved up to 205 at times and beat an ex champ at that weight. He even went the distance recently on 3 days notice with Cormier who I'd have as the actual pound for pound number 1 (until Jones gets back)

DJ is very very good, definitely a legend but even moving up only 10 pounds I think he'd get destroyed. TJ, Cody, Cruz all beat him comfortably plus the likes of Jimmie Rivera, Aljo Sterling and a couple others would all be favoured to beat him imo.

I'd have him nowhere near the top of the GOAT list.
Silva
Jones
GSP
Fedor
DC

Wilson Reis has good bjj but certainly not anywhere near Maia, Jacare etc. Not sure I've ever even heard him being described as some sort of bjj Legend before.

Rick Story never Fought Silva. Silva beat the likes of Hendo, Belfort (both TRT abusers at the time) plus Sonnen, Marquardt, Rich Franklin twice, Coté Nick Diaz the list goes on. Plus moved up to 205 at times and beat an ex champ at that weight. He even went the distance recently on 3 days notice with Cormier who I'd have as the actual pound for pound number 1 (until Jones gets back)

DJ is very very good, definitely a legend but even moving up only 10 pounds I think he'd get destroyed. TJ, Cody, Cruz all beat him comfortably plus the likes of Jimmie Rivera, Aljo Sterling and a couple others would all be favoured to beat him imo.

I'd have him nowhere near the top of the GOAT list.

Silva

Jones

GSP

Fedor

DC

Wilson Reis was a bjj world champion. I understand bjj for mma is different but let's not f**k about here, he is one of the best in that discipline.

Sorry, meant Rich Franklin. Sonnen twice very very nearly beat him, Nick Diaz beat BJ Penn once and nobody else higher than that and Mardquart? LOL. Silva was great but let's not deny the level of competition wasn't that amazing. He also was probably roided up and I believe he fought pre TRT Belfort and Hendo. His Belfort ko for me was his pinnacle moment.

Aye he was, his striking is very good but his ground game is non existent. Tyson pedro has beat both of them, Rountree had him a bit of trouble until he got the takedown. Not sure Craig will be able to take him down but if he doesn't he's getting knocked out.

This weekend's card appeals to me a lot more than I initially thought.

Everything from Ray and Lauzon onwards could be absolute slugfests.

I'm not gonna hate on the Glasgow card. I'm gonna go to it anyway and to be honest UFC Glasgow was as good as any sporting event I've been to despite the card being mostly shit.

If wee JoJo gets added I'll be more than happy with whatever else they throw at us. A half decent headliner wouldn't go a miss... I presume some European... Gustaffson doesn't have a fight does he? I'd say the likes of Mousasi and Overeem are more PPV guys. Does Gunner Nelson have a fight?

Gustaffson is fighting Glover end of may in Sweden. Jojo will 100% be on this card, she's been asking for a fight for ages now and I think they've been keeping her for this.

Nelson could maybe main event Glasgow but not sure who he could fight of the top of my head, I'd like to see him fight Usman but don't think he's high profile enough. Can't see wonderboy taking that fight either.

Pretty surprised Ray is such a favourite to beat Lauzon but do think he should be able to keep it standing and pick Lauzon apart, maybe even catch him late on and get a finish.

Really hoping Diego Sanchez doesn't get smashed too badly, probably my favourite ever fighter. Al is a beast though, he would be top 5 right now if he hadn't had 2 years off.
Cub vs Artem is another where I like both guys and would usually want Artem to win but there's no way I see him winning here, Cub is miles ahead in every area, should be just a case of how long Artem lasts, I think 2nd or 3rd round tko.