America

qos_75

Definitely on the visa waiver, also watch out for the pre security checks at the airports.

Travelling through Schipol to Seattle recently I was grilled for having an 'aura of alcohol' about me. I had been drinking but I do know of US citizens who have had problems with these guys.

Seattle is fast becoming my favourite city.

....and ESTA lasts for 2 years from the date of issue no matter how many times you are off to the states.

For anyone who's been...

I've booked a ticket to go to Atlanta on 22nd Oct. My return ticket is early January so I'm within the 3 months you can 'holiday' for....

Anyway, I've heard there is a 'visa waiver' that you need to get, is that right? Also... The medical insurance I've looked at for three months is about £125+ - am I better off just taking my chances?

Would be a big help to hear from people that've been. My ticket's booked for the 22nd and I've done nothing else... Wish I was a proper grown up :(

America is about the only place I would bother with medical insurance, if something goes wrong it could cost a fortune. If it's decent cover £125 doesn't sound too bad for three months. Americans pay a lot more.

....and ESTA lasts for 2 years from the date of issue no matter how many times you are off to the states.

If I'm correct, all you need to do I change the address you will be staying at if you go back within the 2 years, although I imagine you could probably get away with kust keeping it the same.

America is about the only place I would bother with medical insurance, if something goes wrong it could cost a fortune. If it's decent cover £125 doesn't sound too bad for three months. Americans pay a lot more.

Welshy I wouldn't bother with medical insurance within the EU but for trips elsewhere I always made sure I had good insurance. This is sensible.

Nashville is a decent place to spend time in.

Can't go wrong with San Francisco and Vegas as part of your West Coast Swing.

I second that, the drive to LV from San Francisco is amazing, go the tourist route, SF-Sacramento-Lake Tahoe-Yosemite-Death Valley- Las Vegas. The roadside diners are great as well, but be careful!!! where you stop.

Just drove from la to Vegas yesterday took about 3hrs but was a fantastic drive,very easy drive through the desert,there's not much to see but the landscape is cool in places. All in all probably cheaper than flying between the two (40 for car hire and 25 in petrol).

Dollars? And did you hire it in LA and drop it off in Vegas?

Just drove from la to Vegas yesterday took about 3hrs but was a fantastic drive,very easy drive through the desert,there's not much to see but the landscape is cool in places. All in all probably cheaper than flying between the two (40 for car hire and 25 in petrol).

kilbowie, you're on the money about the landscape. I've been to New Mexico, Nevada and Arizona and it certainly isn't fucking Lanarkshire.

Where to next, Kilbowie? Grand Canyon?

We're planning to visit friends in Durango, Colorado in the spring, and have thought about driving from there to Vegas - with an overnight stop somewhere.

There's just something about driving an automatic 5 litre gas guzzler on uncluttered highways that really appeals to me.

Do they have average speed cameras there?

People that are saying about the ESTA, am I right in saying that if I get that I don't need a Visa Waiver? Or do I need both?

Sorry for the stupid questions. I know Google is my friend and all that but I'm not having much luck.

People that are saying about the ESTA, am I right in saying that if I get that I don't need a Visa Waiver? Or do I need both?

Sorry for the stupid questions. I know Google is my friend and all that but I'm not having much luck.

Careful getting your ESTA make sure you get it from the official site, should be about £12 , there are loads of scam sites that charge you upto £200 for it .

The ESTA is the visa waiver. If you're leaving soon, I would get it filled out pronto, as although most of the time they are approved in seconds, they do sometimes take a few days if they need to verify some details.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

• 4 years later...

Massive bump.

I've booked flights to the US for next year, flying from Inverness via Amsterdam. Anyone else done a similar route? I'm curious to know how painful the transfer will be in Schiphol, never had a flight transfer outside the UK. Do you still need to go through passport control etc to get from one gate to the other?

I went via Inverness from Glasgow a few years back. From memory there was security at the gate we had to go through but apart from that it was fine. That was 2014 or 2015 though so could well have changed since then.

Transferred through Schiphol to Atlanta last year, you don't have to go through passport control/security again. You do have to go for a interview thing with a security person who asks you questions like "What is the purpose of your visit to the USA?" etc, and they will ask to see your passport and put a sticker on it. Between getting off the KLM plane and the interview thing and getting to the gate for the Delta flight to Atlanta took about 40 mins or so.

Transferred through Schiphol to Atlanta last year, you don't have to go through passport control/security again. You do have to go for a interview thing with a security person who asks you questions like "What is the purpose of your visit to the USA?" etc, and they will ask to see your passport and put a sticker on it. Between getting off the KLM plane and the interview thing and getting to the gate for the Delta flight to Atlanta took about 40 mins or so.

Nice one, exactly what I was after. Cheers. We've got a 4 hour layover so not exactly going to be tight for time, just navigating an airport with children is a complete nightmare. We had to go through security and passport control twice between Paris/London/Inverness last year so pleased we can avoid that.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking to do a road trip next July/August to tie in with a wedding. 

Flying in and out of Chicago, ideally direct from Scotland. Any recommendations on who to book with, and when they release their flights for the end of July onwards?