Red Dwarf X

~~~

Episode 4 is another good one. Rimmer finally gets his promotion to officer and creates a class system between him and the "grunts".

Was some really clever ideas in this one. The printer reference, selling your identity and nods to pacman and the movie the Thing.

The ending was awful though very abrupt. Could have easily trimmed some of the dialogue at the start to allow more time.

Episode 5 is not as good as the last few but there are still a couple of decent scenes. Krtyen and the crew trying to pronounce the Gelf language was funny. This episode has a proper ending for a change. One criticism I have of this series is most of the episodes have ended rather abruptly.

Next episode is focused on the Cat. Not had an episode centred on him since series 1 or 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Binged the whole of series XI over the weekend, and I was pretty impressed after Back to Earth and X.

I think there were just enough nods to previous episodes e.g. polymorphs in the last one, even the prohibition one at the start had a vibe of the JFK one, without rehashing everything. Augurs well for XII given they were filmed at the same time, but  it'll have been on the go for 30 years soon so not sure how much more they can wring out of it.

22 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Binged the whole of series XI over the weekend, and I was pretty impressed after Back to Earth and X.

I think there were just enough nods to previous episodes e.g. polymorphs in the last one, even the prohibition one at the start had a vibe of the JFK one, without rehashing everything. Augurs well for XII given they were filmed at the same time, but  it'll have been on the go for 30 years soon so not sure how much more they can wring out of it.

I caught up with the last 3 episodes and thought they were good as well. 

Overall, this series has been way better than expected.

• 2 weeks later...

Started catching up on the episodes after being away for a few weeks.

"Captain Bollocks" made me properly laugh out loud.  I'm obviously extremely childish.

One thing that is slightly bugging me is the rather abrupt endings.  It's almost like the episodes have been trimmed to fit the running time with the advert break in the middle.  

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I didn't really like the first episode but will need to watch it again. I thought the second was decent enough but the it was hamstrung by the short running time. Would have been much with an extra 5/10 mins. I heard the 3rd was horrible so went with low expectations. I thought it was OK until they got to the ship. The camp captain was awful. Johnny Vegas had a couple of clever lines but that clitoris joke was the worst I've ever heard in Red Dwarf. Think the first 10 mins is enough to put it above some of the shite from season 8.

Each episode so far has been a "ship of the week" effort. Considering Lister was supposed to be the last human alive they seem to bump into a hell of a lot of other humans.

I've heard the next 3 episodes are the strongest and go back to just being the four boys from the dwarf rather than having so many other characters. Hopefully it improves as I would say this season has been a lot weaker than X or XI so far.

They went through a "time wave" and were transported back to the 23rd century. Lister still is the last human alive three million years into the future when most of the series is set.

Episode four was okay. I can't see myself rushing to rewatch it years from now, but it wasn't bad. The end was a bit rushed and they could have done more with the returning character.

• 3 weeks later...