Going for a night out in Edinburgh

Michael94

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saturdays Edinburgh is full of folk from outwith Edinburgh, which generally means fighting so we never bothered

We're going on a Saturday.

Square go ya w**k. :angry: :angry:

Avoid George Street and The Hive.

Do the Rose St pub crawl and then you might end up meeting a few burds and go wherever they go.

...and if they end up at George Street or The Hive?

I go to the Hive every now and then because its really cheap and you won't get kicked out for being absolutely steaming. I usually just stand at the bar and try to avoid the dance floor as all the girls are ugly and I always get my arse pinched by some nutcase with a shite haircut and the dress sense of a dyke.

I don't approve of the clientele in Cav or Silk as they all have ASBOs.

My favourite club is probably Opal Lounge, I used to go there on a Wednesday. Its quite expensive but its really nice, dress smartly or you won't get in. Cab Vol and HMV Picturehouse are alright too, although I haven't been in Cab Vol since it re-opened.

In terms of pubs, avoid 'Tron' at all costs. Horrible pub full of pretentious English wankers and cunty staff. Tacky inside, with a shite pool table and no space to have a decent game. Worst pub I've ever been in.

I go to the Hive every now and then because its really cheap and you won't get kicked out for being absolutely steaming. I usually just stand at the bar and try to avoid the dance floor as all the girls are ugly and I always get my arse pinched by some nutcase with a shite haircut and the dress sense of a dyke.

I don't approve of the clientele in Cav or Silk as they all have ASBOs.

My favourite club is probably Opal Lounge, I used to go there on a Wednesday. Its quite expensive but its really nice, dress smartly or you won't get in. Cab Vol and HMV Picturehouse are alright too, although I haven't been in Cab Vol since it re-opened.

In terms of pubs, avoid 'Tron' at all costs. Horrible pub full of pretentious English wankers and cunty staff. Tacky inside, with a shite pool table and no space to have a decent game. Worst pub I've ever been in.

I got chucked out of the Tron once for not having the right ID. Conveniently my ID was fine when I bought my drink, a minute later a guy went round checking IDs and then decided it wasn't good enough and they refused to give me my money back.

Annoyed me. If my ID isn't good enough, fine, but refuse me service before I've bought a drink instead of waiting until I've parted with my money.

I got chucked out of the Tron once for not having the right ID. Conveniently my ID was fine when I bought my drink, a minute later a guy went round checking IDs and then decided it wasn't good enough and they refused to give me my money back.

Annoyed me. If my ID isn't good enough, fine, but refuse me service before I've bought a drink instead of waiting until I've parted with my money.

Not surprised to hear this, at all. Seems like something they'd try and pull off. We decided to have a game of pool on the worlds worst pool table, so I went to the bar and they asked me to put my debit card down as a deposit for the cues. I go up to give them back and collect my card, so hand the cues over to the girl behind the bar, she takes them, puts them away and just stands there;

'Is there anything else I can help you with?'

'I'm waiting to collect my debit card'

'What do you mean?'

'I put my card down as a deposit when I collected the cues'

'Are you sure I can't see one anywhere, are you sure its behind the bar?'

'Aye, that fella over there stuck it in a see through bag kinda thing, should be under the till'

*She gives a blank stare*

'That till in front of you, there should be a plastic bag with a blue card in it, its mine. Can I have it back please?'

'I knooooow. I know how it works, I woooork heeeere'

'Give us the card back, please'

'So, what's the name on the card?'

(Fella who works behind the bar): 'Just give him his fucking card back eh, there's about 6 folk waiting. I took it from him'

Comical. The option of a cash deposit wasn't allowed, even though I offered him a 10er.

pm me if yuo are looking for info on how to pull a burd my man :)

Cheers mate. :)

Tbh I think the old "give her a shneck, then slip the hawn" combo is the way to go.

Thanks for all the replies thumbup2.gif What boozers would you recommend beforehand? For a young 18 year old, remember wink.gif

The Phoenix for young 18 year olds, The Cask and Barrel for old 18 year olds.

Seriously though, go for the Phoenix on Broughton Street. Handy location near the centre but not so near that it's rammed, decent mix of people, cheapish drink by city centre standards, a constant supply of taxi's wizzing by outside and it has the right mix of not being a pretencious, wanky gaff but also not a shitheap.

Oh and there's the jukebox, the glorious jukebox. It has just about any song you can think of.

The Chanter. They are fine with groups of guys as well usually. That's something you'll have to watch.

My mates said that when they went to Glasgow they were iffy about letting 5 of them in. If there's a group of us...what the fook am I mean to do?

My mates said that when they went to Glasgow they were iffy about letting 5 of them in. If there's a group of us...what the fook am I mean to do?

Go in, in groups of 3 or 4. Just time it properly, once you're in and so long as you don't cause problems, you'll be fine.

I've mentioned Secret Arcade before, and I'll mention it again because its fucking brilliant. Probably my favourite place to drink in Edinburgh. I can get cunted in there for £20 comfortably.

See I would go there, but I'm not a big spirit drinker, let alone Vodka. But it does look great and tbh I may as well try it. I assume it's the one on Cockburn street?

The general consensus from myself is Tron and then Hive followed by the wee pizza place round the corner for some post club scran. Whynot is good on a Friday, you do get the odd c**t in their. Head to Bar Napoli for some pizza as well afterwards. Cav is alright if your looking to get launched behind bars for paedophilia. You only need to be about 12 to get in these days. Silk can be okay cause it's next to the grassmarket where me and my mates enjoy going to the Salsa Bar. 2.60 a pint! Been to The Lane a couple of times, used to be Berlin but I couldn't tell you what its called now. I remember seeing Ryan Mcgowan in their one night after we beat the rangers 2-1 at Ibrox. I was a bit overly friendly with my praise. :huh:

See I would go there, but I'm not a big spirit drinker, let alone Vodka. But it does look great and tbh I may as well try it. I assume it's the one on Cockburn street?

You are correct. I'd certainly recommend giving it a bash.

You still get some decent eastern European beers like Pilsner and Budweiser(not to be confused with the yank kind) in those big pint bottles for 3 squid.

Ask to get some raspberry jam in them, I was cynical but as soon as it hit the taste buds I practically came.

I've seen people playing boardgames and what not as well! Definitely not as good on Friday or Saturday mind, but then where is in Edinburgh :(

EDIT: I meant to say, I was the most keen vodka drinker before I went there. They have some pretty decent stuff that I never knew made vodka taste so good, plus they freeze it as well(really makes a difference). I'd definitely recommend trying that 5 vodka shots of their menu(that's right a menu) for £11. But not alone, that was a brief night...

Re on the salsa bar, I'm sure that's only a limited time offer until 8 or 9? The pints aren't exactly of a decent quality either...

Archived