The P & B Beer, Lager, Ale, Stout and Cider Guide

Zizou-5

• 2 weeks later...

If any of you are ever in Atlantic Canada (Nova Scotia in particular) then I highly recommend Propeller ESB.  It's one of my favourite beers of all time and they no longer sell it in Ontario!  My mate who is from Nova Scotia knows to pick me up some every time he goes home now!

In the Dominican Republic just now and drinking Presidente beer which is actually really good. I'm guessing it's their main beer as it's only that and coors they sell.

On honeymoon the all inclusive included this. Had a few of them from the mini-bar whenever the wife had a heat-induced nap. Incredibly easy drinking though maybe that was as much down to the heat.

Is it just me or do English real ales generally taste of f*** all in comparison with Scottish ones? I've been sampling a few in the Midlands this week and every pub I go to seems to be limited to a selection of weak tasting pale ales. What do we add that they don't?

Should add that I wouldn't know what a super malty or hoppy beer tastes like. I'm very much a "ooh, that's nice... hmm, I like that one... meh... that's tastier at the back of the mouth" type guy. For avoidance of doubt, I'm still talking about beer here.

10 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Is it just me or do English real ales generally taste of f*** all in comparison with Scottish ones? I've been sampling a few in the Midlands this week and every pub I go to seems to be limited to a selection of weak tasting pale ales. What do we add that they don't?

Should add that I wouldn't know what a super malty or hoppy beer tastes like. I'm very much a "ooh, that's nice... hmm, I like that one... meh... that's tastier at the back of the mouth" type guy. For avoidance of doubt, I'm still talking about beer here.

^^^Unrefined palate.

27 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I'd say you've been unlucky with your choices. Plenty of wonderful English beers, all types. Come to the Ayrshire Beer Festival in Troon, October. They arrange the produce geographically and you can make comparisons. Keep endeavouring.

3 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Was down in Barrow last weekend to visit my daughter who's working at BAE Systems. Had a couple of beers from Lancaster Brewery, Robinson's Double Hop & Old Tom, Abbeydale Schemer and really enjoyed them all. Got the timing totally wrong tho' as it's the Ulverston real ale festival this weekend :(