Last Book You Read....

H_B

The Man who broke into Auchwitz. Denis Avery.

Absolutely fascinating tale of his journey throughout the war and the things he witnessed. Harrowing but couldn't put it down.
Really enjoyed that one, although a lot of Holocaust survivors have disputed large parts of that book and claim he's 'misremembered' large chunks and couldn't possibly have done what he claimed to have. Worth googling it.

I became a bit of a mess at the end when he met up with the guy's family.

On 8/4/2018 at 15:21, Edmond Dantès said:

I actually thought it was the worst book I've ever read. Full of vacuous characters, needless violence and endless lists of stupid shite such as whatever people are wearing. It's the work of a mentally disturbed individual trying too hard to be "shocking".

That's the point of the book, though? That these characters live outside themselves, their existence and identity is based on collections of stuff and things, their relative positions of perceived power, such that they can't even remember each others names half the time.

Here's an interesting analysis I watched a while back:

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get 70 hours of the complete Sherlock Holmes, read by Stephen Fry, on Audible for a big fat zilch, by signing up for a free trial.   It'd be wrong not to take advantage of that.

Edited by Savage Henry

"The sun had set in Castello. It had flooded the rooftops and now overflowed, spilling onto the dipping, narrow back streets, pitilessly uncovering the harsh ugliness of the village. Stark and ashen, the houses were barren, stone piled on stone, their doors so low one had to stoop to enter-and within was darkness. The courtyards smelled of horse manure, goat droppings, and the heavy stench of man. Not a single house had a tree in its courtyard, or a songbird in a cage, or a flowerpot in the window, with perhaps a root of basil or a red carnation; everywhere, only stone upon stone. And the souls who lived within these stones were hard and inhospitable. Mountains, houses, people-they were all granite."

Lovely scene-setting opening to Kazantzakis' Fratricides about the Greek Civil War.

Edited by banana

recently finished:

Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know- Ranulph Fiennes' autobiography. Really engaging subject matter. Made the locations and challenges accessible without any heroic romanticism. 

The chapter "Ginny" had me bawling. It was completely unsentimental but very emotional.

Some pacing  issues and things felt badly prioritised. Would have liked more of the mercenary days. 

Also contains a useful checklist of kit for any budding polar explorers.

The Captain and the Enemy

Greene by numbers. Ok but felt like an early draft (or breif reprise) of Travels with my Aunt or possibly a character sketch for The Comedians.

On 9/21/2018 at 18:35, Stellaboz said:

The Long Earth. Co written by Terry Pratchett.

Fantastic read, love it.

I gave up on this utterly boring series after The Long Mars, by then all hope of it actually getting interesting was abandoned.

Very much a Stephen Baxter product imo.