Last Book You Read....

H_B

11 hours ago, Sliced Bread said:

Just finished "A Decent Ride" by Irvine Welsh, which was fun. Before that it was "Dreamcatcher" by Stephen King. I'm a big King fan, this was the 50th King book I've read, and if I were to rank them all this would be 50th.

Yeah, that one was shite

On 6/24/2018 at 21:51, Sliced Bread said:

Just finished "A Decent Ride" by Irvine Welsh, which was fun. Before that it was "Dreamcatcher" by Stephen King. I'm a big King fan, this was the 50th King book I've read, and if I were to rank them all this would be 50th.

Thanks for the warning, mate.  My wife's got it on her to-be-read pile and I was going to snaffle it before she got round to it, but maybe Ill give it a miss and wait for her assessment.

On 6/27/2018 at 18:46, The DA said:

Thanks for the warning, mate.  My wife's got it on her to-be-read pile and I was going to snaffle it before she got round to it, but maybe Ill give it a miss and wait for her assessment.

It's a funny one, the start is brilliant but it just turns into a bloating, boring mess featuring monsters called "shit-weasels". Best avoided. 

2 minutes ago, Sliced Bread said:

It's a funny one, the start is brilliant but it just turns into a bloating, boring mess featuring monsters called "shit-weasels". Best avoided. 

Actually, the mention of shit-weasels may just have pushed in back up the reading order.

On 6/21/2018 at 19:36, Richey Edwards said:

Finished the Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas. Shamefully I had not read it before. Thoroughly enjoyed it though and plan on reading the rest of the series.

Currently reading The Count of Monte Christo.

I'm wondering if you are still reading this,  it's probably the longest book I've ever read but I still thought it was absolutely tremendous and brilliantly plotted.

A classic that actually deserves the title.

1 hour ago, Tommy Nooka said:

I'm wondering if you are still reading this,  it's probably the longest book I've ever read but I still thought it was absolutely tremendous and brilliantly plotted.

Yes I am still reading it, and thoroughly enjoying it. I am just over halfway through, and my only regret is that I haven't been able to read more of it due to work etc.

It's the longest book I've ever started reading, but I can't wait to find out what happens next.

3 hours ago, Tommy Nooka said:

read it years ago and youre right.

in the same mould war and peace is another classic worthy of the name

just finished "why the dutch are different", very interesting and enjoyable

7 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

read it years ago and youre right.

in the same mould war and peace is another classic worthy of the name

just finished "why the dutch are different", very interesting and enjoyable

I'm going through a bit of a "classics" phase, and War & Peace may well be next.

Just now, highlandcowden said:

like any big 19th century epic theres a few less interesting bits but overall its fantastic imo

I've heard good things about it, will check it out. Is it longer than The Count Of Monte Cristo? The name War & Peace seems to have become a synonym for a large amount of reading.

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

I've heard good things about it, will check it out. Is it longer than The Count Of Monte Cristo? The name War & Peace seems to have become a synonym for a large amount of reading.

its about the size of the count of monte cristo, possibly a little shorter iirc

Strange Loyalties by William McIlvanney, the final book in his Laidlaw trilogy.

Think I preferred the 1st two books, for some reason, however, for anyone into Scottish Crime fiction he's the king of 'Tartan Noir', a must-read threesome of books.

I'm going through a bit of a "classics" phase, and War & Peace may well be next.

War & Peace wasn’t my cup of tea. He gets a crazy amount of characters into the story but unless you really care about the characters you just think ‘f**k this’ give up and get another book. I lasted until nearly half way then gave up.

Catch 22 is excellent but after reading the study guide I saw all the various intricacies that I missed.

Crime and Punishment is also an excellent book and you really care for Raskolnikov.

Some of these classics do affect your mental state when you get into them. Well, they did with me. I have to stop reading 1984 half way through as I thought it was bringing down my mood.

Kem Nunn - Tapping the Source

Tapping+the+Source.3.jpg

A naive young man from a hick town in the desert travels to a California beach resort to search for his missing sister. He gets dragged into all kinds of shit involving biker gangs and drug dealers along the way. 

This book is dark and nihilistic and I loved every page. It was published in 1984 and serves as a pretty good time capsule for the era with plenty of references to the punk scene and surf culture. The seedy bars and diners are all pretty well described. I believe the author is one of the script writers for Sons of Anarchy. I'm keen to check out more of his stuff. If it's as good as this then it will be worth the effort.