Last Book You Read....

H_B

Peter May - Coffin Road. I must have read 7 or 8 of his books this year. Murder mysteries that keep you guessing until the end. The Lewis Trilogy would be my recommendation. Reading them in order is not necessary but the published order is The Blackhouse, Lewis Man, The Chessmen. The Coffin Road follows, not connected but featuring the local policeman.

I bought my current book when I saw on Amazon what I'd say was the best book review of all time as far as I'm concerned.  It was a two word review. "Leftie rubbish".  Hard back edition on Amazon marketplace for £1.  The world might be an illiterate and idiotic mess but it's a great time for book buyers.

So here I am reading 'The Oxford History of the French Revolution' by William Doyle.

Lots of stuff about various layers of shambolic bureaucracy, a corrupt tax system and peasant poverty.  No aristocrats guillotined yet. 

Edited by Ya Bezzer!

Just finished The day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth. Very enjoyable. Will move onto another of his books, The Odessa File.

Funnily enough I just finished The Odessa File this morning and came on here to post about it. Good, exciting story, interesting subject matter and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

11 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

Funnily enough I just finished The Odessa File this morning and came on here to post about it. Good, exciting story, interesting subject matter and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Well it should be coming through the letter box any day. Looking forward to a good read now.

29 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

Good film too as I remember it.

Watched the film years ago and remember enjoying it. I noticed it was on Netflix so might stick that on tonight.

Day of the Jackal is a great film. Drax makes a great policeman.

Made me want to be an international assassin when I grew up.

Read my first novel In years when I ran out of reading material on holiday and borrowed one of the missus.

Amsterdam by Ian Mcewan. It was tolerable.

Not into fiction, too much superfluous information communicated. Would rather read about real events, the only fictional books I've read that I've really enjoyed have been set in a period or place that I'm interested in from a political or historical perspective or that provide an insight into a defining social or political issue that I'm interested in.

Not enough novels do that and my time is too precious to read fairy stories for the sake of enjoyment.

Read my first novel In years when I ran out of reading material on holiday and borrowed one of the missus.

Amsterdam by Ian Mcewan. It was tolerable.

Not into fiction, too much superfluous information communicated. Would rather read about real events, the only fictional books I've read that I've really enjoyed have been set in a period or place that I'm interested in from a political or historical perspective or that provide an insight into a defining social or political issue that I'm interested in.

Not enough novels do that and my time is too precious to read fairy stories for the sake of enjoyment.

I've found myself moving more and more towards 'fairy stories'. I think with both my work life and home life being hectic at the moment (both in a good way) novels provide a good amount of escapism that other forms of entertainment don't. I do most of my reading on the bus to and from work and that separation between home and work becomes more pronounced with the escape into whatever fantasy world my book takes me into. There's something about the solitary nature of reading a book which appeals to me, unlike television which feels like it's being made for many people, a book often seems like it is being directed specifically to you.

Fair enough. Maybe I should be more open minded. I've just started too many that have done nothing for me. I get angry reading political ones though so maybe I should give it more of a chance.

I've started just leaving books if I'm not enjoying them. Life's too short. There seems to be this weird idea that if you start a book you have to finish it but I don't subscribe to that. I definitely go through phases with reading though. I can go months hardly reading anything to suddenly reading at pretty much any opportunity I get. For a long time after finishing uni I couldn't read fiction at all for pleasure, I studied literature and found myself unable to turn off the critical part of my brain and was overanalysing everything. It's only relatively recently I've actually managed to get back into fiction again and just enjoy a book because it's a good story.

4 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

I've started just leaving books if I'm not enjoying them. Life's too short. There seems to be this weird idea that if you start a book you have to finish it but I don't subscribe to that. I definitely go through phases with reading though. I can go months hardly reading anything to suddenly reading at pretty much any opportunity I get. For a long time after finishing uni I couldn't read fiction at all for pleasure, I studied literature and found myself unable to turn off the critical part of my brain and was overanalysing everything. It's only relatively recently I've actually managed to get back into fiction again and just enjoy a book because it's a good story.

There's scope for discussion about 'worthy' books you've tried several times to read but never got on with:

Ulysses - Joyce
The Famished Road - Okri
Anything by Virginia Woolf - It's all about her.
Anything by Kafka - Repetitive bilge after the first 50 pages
Catch-22 - A one-page summary would've been fine

On 16/07/2017 at 12:35, Tommy Nooka said:

Another series that should only be read by the most patient of readers.
2 books in 10 years and the last one was 6 years ago.

Indeed man. I was late to the party so can't claim I've been waiting ages or whatever, but Rothfuss is apparently taking his sweet time on the final book.

Doesn't take away from the writing for me, however. Fantastically written series so far.

There's scope for discussion about 'worthy' books you've tried several times to read but never got on with:
Ulysses - Joyce
The Famished Road - Okri
Anything by Virginia Woolf - It's all about her.
Anything by Kafka - Repetitive bilge after the first 50 pages
Catch-22 - A one-page summary would've been fine

I tried to read catch 22 years ago. Was utter dross.