Last Book You Read....

H_B

Anyone ever seen the list of authors on the Kindle CD list that goes about? There's loads on it but it's hard to know who's good to read. I'm not particularly fussed about type of book just looking for a recommendation.

Finished William McIlvanney's "Docherty" on the train into work this morning. Hard going at times but absolutely worth persevering with. Fantastic book.

Next up is Black Widow by Chris Brookmyre. Usually guarantees a decent few journeys worth of entertainment.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Black Widow on Friday. As good as anything Brookmyre has written, with the exception of the first couple of pages of Snowball in Hell. Well worth a read and an excellent addition to the Jack Parlabane books.

1984/Orwell - Re-read and enjoyed again.

Big Man/McIlvanney - Enjoy reading McIlvanney but not his best. Would probably be better as a novella IMO.

The Establishment/Owen Jones - Further proof of what a complete catastrophe the British system really is. Well written and informative.

The Establishment/Owen Jones - read this previously.

Cracking book. Really highlights what a shambles everything is.

Selected low-lights - 

Boarding school buddies doing deals in boardrooms for juicy well paid jobs once their political careers are finished.

Private companies using public money to further their own interests. 

4 hours ago, Ross. said:

Finished Black Widow on Friday. As good as anything Brookmyre has written, with the exception of the first couple of pages of Snowball in Hell. Well worth a read and an excellent addition to the Jack Parlabane books.

Is it funny though?

Not that impressed by his po-faced generic Scottish crime fiction which could be written by any competent Scottish author. It was his Hiaasen-isms that made him a bit different and worth reading. Bedlam was the probably last book of his I really enjoyed despite it being far from his best.

18 minutes ago, Tommy Nooka said:

Is it funny though?

Not that impressed by his po-faced generic Scottish crime fiction which could be written by any competent Scottish author. It was his Hiaasen-isms that made him a bit different and worth reading. Bedlam was the probably last book of his I really enjoyed despite it being far from his best.

It does lack the humour that was the signature of a lot of his early work, but I found the book thoroughly enjoyable all the same.

Has anyone else read Robert Jordans Wheel of Time series? It took me about a year and a half to get through all 13 books but thoroughly enjoyable if you like a Syfy/Fantasy theme. I've now moved onto A tale of 2 cities, Im sure it's the 2nd or 3rd time I've attempted to read this as I just couldn't get into it before

Dracula - Bram Stoker.

I thought this would be one of those books that are famous for the concept rather than the execution but it was very well written. I finished it a few days ago but woke up in the middle of last night after dreaming that I'd become a vampire, which tells you all you need to know about the title character. The ending was a little disappointing but the first couple of hundred pages were riveting.

A Computer Called Leo  -  by  Georgina Ferry

The story behind the invention and development of the worlds first office computer.

LEO = Lyons Electronic Office

= Lyons Bakery, Lyons Tea Rooms. 

Next up, and currently reading....

This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs The Climate - by Naomi Klein

Books, on the whole, are really good and I've started to get back into them since the turn of the year. I finished James Joyce's Ulysses earlier in the week - it's the third time I've read it and I don't think I ever appreciated what a totemic work it really is. Absolutely astonishing. There are some parts that don't work all that well and require a lot of stamina to get through them but it's mostly wonderful.

I've moved on to 1982, Janine by Alasdair Gray. I'm not sure what to make of it so far. It's certainly not as captivating as Lanark, that's for sure. It's a bit like following up the best meal of your life with some runny Vienetta.

World Gone By, Dennis Lahane

I really like all these US noir crime thrillers. There are a few heart in mouth moments with this, especially a scene with a guy trying to avoid an ambush. Same guy wrote Shutter Island and there are elements of the supernatural/surreal in this. I'm straight into another of his books with the same characters in their younger days (called Live By Night).

5 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Bedroom secrets of the Masterchefs. Hilarious stuff! Especially the bit with the "witch"

I have to admit, I thought that was utter tripe and by a distance the second worst book I have read from Irvine Welsh(Sex Lives of the Siamese Twins is far far worse).