Last Book You Read....

H_B

Similar to the movie thread, what was the last book you read, what was it about roughly, who would it appeal to and what mark out of 10 would you give it?

I realise in the modern age a lot of people dont read that much any more, but some of us will and I find word of mouth is a great way to get "into" a new author.

I'll start off with :-

Name & Author :- "Dragon Strike : The Millenium War" by Humphrey Hawksley and Simon Holberton.

Subject :- Global Politics/Third World War type thing

Blurb :- Basically looks at what would happen geo politically if China decided to mop up its neighbours in the South China Sea and beyond to become a global superpower. What would the West, Japan and Russia do? Author is an expert in Chinese affairs and although it was written a few years ago a few of the "future history" predictions have come true.

Score :- Id give it 7 out of 10. More fact than fiction and doesnt revolve around characters as much as "fact". Would appeal to Forsyth, Ludlum etc fans.

Last was "Deception Point" - Dan Brown.

Not as good as the Da Vinci code, but very similar. Good read if you like Dan Brown or just suspense novels with a few twists.

Basic plot - NASA finds a metorite under the artic with a startling secret. Set in the middle of a presidential election, revolves around a scientist and a senators daughter who find the secret.

Name & Author :- "Dragon Strike : The Millenium War" by Humphrey Hawksley and Simon Holberton.

Subject :- Global Politics/Third World War type thing

Blurb :- Basically looks at what would happen geo politically if China decided to mop up its neighbours in the South China Sea and beyond to become a global superpower. What would the West, Japan and Russia do? Author is an expert in Chinese affairs and although it was written a few years ago a few of the "future history" predictions have come true.

Score :- Id give it 7 out of 10. More fact than fiction and doesnt revolve around characters as much as "fact". Would appeal to Forsyth, Ludlum etc fans.

490405[/snapback]

Not read that, but have read Hawksley's latest book "The Third World War" along the sames lines but focuses on India/Pakistan conflict, as well as the rise of China and North Korea. Very good book and, scarily, it seems like it could well happen!

Liam

'The Merovingian Kingdoms: 450-751'. Author I.Wood

A rip-roaring journey through early Dark Age Europe as the Frankish people climb over the ruins of Rome, gaining power through 'the grace of God' not realising that their ultimate fate is to end up being French ;)

The last book I read was The Wind-up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami.

It is based in Japan and is about this guy whose wife has left him. He is then dragged into this bizzare serious of events, whist trying to get her back.

I think this deserves a 9 out of 10 although I would say one of his other novels, Norwegian Wood, is slightly better.

Guest thebullywee

The last book i read was Faraway by Lucy Irvine. Its about her and her 3 children (all boys) go to stay on a south pacific island for a year. Very facinating. I have ordered another 1 of her books today for a penny off of Amazon. :D

I have ordered another 1 of her books today for a penny off of Amazon.  :D

490945[/snapback]

I just bought 5 books using that nearly new Amazon thing. Its brilliant value and less hassle than using e bay.

Guest thebullywee
I just bought 5 books using that nearly new Amazon thing. Its brilliant value and less hassle than using e bay.

490951[/snapback]

Yeah its great. The only downside is that the postage is a fixed rate.

Yeah its great. The only downside is that the postage is a fixed rate.

490956[/snapback]

Yeah, I noticed that too - it wasnt quite the mucho cheapness that I thought it was going to be at first.

Still worth it though - as far as books are concerned I couldnt care less if the spine is creased or 10 people have already read it - as long as all the pages are there!

Guest thebullywee
Yeah, I noticed that too - it wasnt quite the mucho cheapness that I thought it was going to be at first.

Still worth it though - as far as books are concerned I couldnt care less if the spine is creased or 10 people have already read it - as long as all the pages are there!

490959[/snapback]

Yup thats the main thing. I usually trade books with mates after i have read them anyway.

i read a book a couple of months ago called something like "the curious incident of the dog" (will google it in a second)

it is about an autistic boy and is written as if being dictated by someone with autism. i found it particularly interesting because i was in the same school class as a guy with severe autism for 4-5 years, its well worth a read and due to the fact that it is written from a cholds point of view it is short and easy to read!

8/10

Edited to say-

Tilte- "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time"

Author- Mark Haddon

Review or something!

Edited by arab_joe

Last book I finished was Spanish Steps by Tim Moore. A man and his donkey on a pilgrimage to Santiago. Hilarious and educational. 8/10.

Currently reading yon Ewan McGregor motorcycle effort.

Guest Comeonthelads

The Alcehmist by Paulo Coelho. Its about a sheperd who gives up his flock to go in search of his destiny.

A top quality read, one of the best books i've read. I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

9/10

Guest Pompey

The Dumas Club, by Arturo Perez Revérte.

Antiquities dealer found dead in rather suspicious circumstances, Gendarmerie hopeless, so his pals all get together to find out what happened. And to find all his books (which went missing at some unspecified point), including a rather scary Satanic one.

Odd, really, certainly not as good as his La piel del Tambor, but decent anyway.

Read La Piel Del Tambor in the original Spanish, and The Dumas Club in translated English, so the translation may have been a bit off.

5/10, sadly :(

The last book I read was The Wind-up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami.

It is based in Japan and is about this guy whose wife has left him.  He is then dragged into this bizzare serious of events, whist trying to get her back.

I think this deserves a 9 out of 10 although I would say one of his other novels, Norwegian Wood, is slightly better.

490785[/snapback]

Weird. I finished Norwegian Wood a while back and thought it was excellent and am just about to start reading The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle as soon as I finish....

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Richard Chabon. It's a brilliant story about two comic-book writers during World War 2. I'd thoroughly recommend it.