Last Book You Read....

H_B

Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets by Simon David

the author spends a year with the Baltimore Police homicide squad.Politics,race,drugs,stupidity and murder.great read.co-creator of The Wire(which i havent seen but if he has the same writing style for that i would consider buying)

9/10

ps.

has anyone read his book The Corner?recommend?

Just read "Bad Vibes - Britpop & my part in its downfall" by Luke Haines.Very good - Includes a great story about Haines being exceptionally rude to Chris Evans on the pilot of TFI.Its about his time in 90s also rans the "Auters".

Bare-Arsed Banditti : The Men Of The '45 by Maggie Craig. Brilliant book giving a great insight into the Jacobite campaign and the following atrocities committed after Culloden by ''English'' troops.

A well deserved 8/10 (asking for the book by title in the bookstore is another matter :lol: )

Bare-Arsed Banditti : The Men Of The '45 by Maggie Craig. Brilliant book giving a great insight into the Jacobite campaign and the following atrocities committed after Culloden by ''English'' troops.

A well deserved 8/10 (asking for the book by title in the bookstore is another matter :lol: )

Well you'll need to get Damn Rebel Bitches now by the same author about the women of the 45. ;)

While on holiday I read:

1. Revolutionary road - Richard Yates

2. A thousand splendid suns - Khaled Hosseini which was absolutely brilliant. I'm going to look out for The Kite Runner now.

3. The business - Martina Cole (not quite finished it yet though)

2. A thousand splendid suns - Khaled Hosseini which was absolutely brilliant. I'm going to look out for The Kite Runner now.

I read them that way round as well, Ayrgirl, and didn't think The Kite Runner was quite as good - still very much worth reading though.

I read 'A snowball in hell' by that Brookmyre chap.

I had been saving it for ages to read on holiday, and it genuinely didn't disappoint. You know something is special when you're agreeing with the rants about the state of society that come from a serial killer. It's very clever indeed to make your evil character in a book so easy to admire (unless there's something very wrong with me).

I mean, you knew that somehow Darcourt was going to get his comeuppance (and very apt it was too), but you find yourself wishing he could be put in charge of television programming for a while before that happens.....

It was a rip-snorter of a book. :D

8.5/10

I read 'A snowball in hell' by that Brookmyre chap.

I had been saving it for ages to read on holiday, and it genuinely didn't disappoint. You know something is special when you're agreeing with the rants about the state of society that come from a serial killer. It's very clever indeed to make your evil character in a book so easy to admire (unless there's something very wrong with me).

I mean, you knew that somehow Darcourt was going to get his comeuppance (and very apt it was too), but you find yourself wishing he could be put in charge of television programming for a while before that happens.....

It was a rip-snorter of a book. :D

8.5/10

Oddly enough, I too had been saving the same book to read on holiday and thought it was bloody good - up there with the best of his.

The rants are always fun and convincing, but the real genius exists in the devising of plot. There is such detail, yet it hangs together very successfully.

I could easily fall for Angelique were she not a Rangers fan.

So well crafted and funny that Brookmyre even gets away with the soppy ending.

Well you'll need to get Damn Rebel Bitches now by the same author about the women of the 45. ;)

Got 'em both. Excellent stuff! You'll enjoy Damn Rebel Bitches 'phil-zoff- 'n wassaname!'

I've just finished No Fireworks by Rodge Glass. Very evocative of post war Jewish refugee life, divorce and alcoholism. Very thought provoking and not as bleak as it sounds.

He's recently released a biography of Alasdair Gray which is also well worth a read. ;)

It's very clever indeed to make your evil character in a book so easy to admire (unless there's something very wrong with me).

No, definitely not. Unless there's something wrong with me, too. You don't have to answer that, by the way. I've had almost a lustful thing for Darcourt since A Big Boy Did It And Ran Away.

So well crafted and funny that Brookmyre even gets away with the soppy ending.

I shed a wee tear at that. :ph34r:

Not had much time for reading recently, but have now finished "The Death of Kings", which is the second book in Conn Iggulden's Emperor series.

Absolutely brilliant, can't reccommend it highly enough.