Last Book You Read....

H_B

Are you seriously going to try and derail this Thread as you do most others???

Away and have a wee lie down. Maybe think about that manager your club appointed who had scarred a boy for life in a savage attack, or that player your club backed who had scarred a boy for life. As you’re so principled this will no doubt keep you up all night. Just as well you have books to read!!!

This is obviously eating away at you, I'm so glad it got under your skin, it's pretty obvious to all that somebody is needing a wee lie down and it isn't me, now away you go and stalk me on a more appropriate Thread!!!

This is obviously eating away at you, I'm so glad it got under your skin, it's pretty obvious to all that somebody is needing a wee lie down and it isn't me, now away you go and stalk me on a more appropriate Thread!!!

Glad we didn’t derail this thread!!! Serious business when a thread gets derailed!!! Never usually happens!!!

Just finished reading Leonardo Da Vinci by Walter Isaacson.

Absolutely astounding and stunning compilation of his life from Birth to Death, his art and all his breakthrough achievements in various fields.

A true pioneer and genius.

Worried that it would be a bit of a slog but I flew through the 700 pages with ease. I think that was helped by the excellent structure and flow of Isaacsons writing.

Now onto something more lighthearted with John Dies at the End by David Wong. So far, it’s really weird but funny :)

And on that Philip Roth has died.

Sad news. Enjoy his novels. Read The Plot Against America relatively recently and in a post-Trump world takes on a whole new meaning. American Pastoral and The Human Stain are two of my favourite books.

I finished Bettany Hughes' "Istanbul" yesterday.

It gave me a decent understanding of the history of the city, but 600 pages isn't enough to go into any real detail of 2,500 years (the second world war doesn't even get a mention) and I get the feeling I'd have learnt just as much from a hundred page annotated timeline.

I had other grumbles. It didn't pay enough attention to the goings on of everyday people. It focused almost solely on minorities, be they high or low class. I don't know what source material she has to work with though so can't scold her too much. I also felt some affirmative feminist action as I read it, constant phrases like "...one of the many women who have shaped this great city." Like shortlists for new statues in Edinburgh, I got the feeling that many people were included in because of their gender rather than their contribution.
Unsure as to whether I was letting my own prejudices cloud my feelings on the book I sought out a review. It picked out the same two points as me but used it to praise the book for "shining a light on those otherwise forgotten". Most people who pick this book up in WH Smith will only ever read one history of Istanbul and I imagine they'd want a balanced account rather than one giving undue focus on certain sections of society.

I'm glad I read it, but would advise others to do a bit more research before buying. If you're wanting a history of Istanbul to read before a holiday there, then I imagine there are much better and more concise books which would do the job.

1 hour ago, Jmothecat2 said:

Sad news. Enjoy his novels. Read The Plot Against America relatively recently and in a post-Trump world takes on a whole new meaning. American Pastoral and The Human Stain are two of my favourite books.

Was just thinking the same about The Human Stain earlier.

Been reading all the original James Bond novels and just finished 'The Man with the Golden Gun'. Found it really jarring as I kept imagining Christopher Lee as Scaramanga and the book character is nothing at all like the one in the film. I know that as time went on the films had less and less in common with the books but at least the villains were a bit more of a match but not this one.

I’ve just finished tales from the dugout. Would seriously recommend it to anybody who loves Scottish football and hasn’t already read it. I also finished el Diego, which is Diego Maradona’s autobiography translated into English, a real fascinating insight into what can only be described as flawed genius, he’s brutally honest and extremely arrogant, but his story is like no other. 10/10

17 hours ago, murphy1970 said:

The Handmaid's tale.

Hadn't read Atwood since The Silent Assassin but glad I did, really enjoyed this & very timely with the referendum in Erie and the recent media interest over incels 

it's been a while since i read that. whst's the incels reference?