Last Book You Read....

H_B

34 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

I'm into autobiographies and have recently read Julian Broddle's 'Down the Line', Lenny Mclean's 'The Guv'nor' and I'm currently half way through Mike Tyson's 'The Undisputed Truth'. 

Three good reads.

Didn't realise just how much of a nutcase Tyson was when he was young. Broddle has some good stories from his playing days and also explains the whole coke allegations whilst McLean runs you through encounters with gangland characters and his boxing exploits both in and out the ring. 

Watched Mike Tyson’s one man stage show version of the book (was on Sky last week). Never know what to make of him. Boxing-wise he was incredible, almost super-human. The speech impediment probably fuelled some of his anger.  The rape stuff almost laughed off and glossed over a bit troubling though.

53 minutes ago, pittsburgh phil said:

Currently listening to Salem's Lot by Stephen King on Audible. The guy reading it, Ron McLarty, is immense.

Will check that out. Listening to King’s detective novel trilogy just now. 

On 21/09/2017 at 13:04, Shandon Par said:

Been caning the audiobooks recently. Would love to listen to a couple of Le Carre novels but I don't like the voice of the guy who reads them. Listened to loads read by an American guy called Will Patton recently and I could happily listen to him reading the phone book - such a great voice. 

I've not listened to many but there an audiobook version of A Clockwork Orange that is narrated by the actor Tom Hollander, that is really good.

3 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I've not listened to many but there an audiobook version of A Clockwork Orange that is narrated by the actor Tom Hollander, that is really good.

Read it about 15 years ago - quite a skinny wee book if I remember correctly. Be interesting to hear how he gets to grips with all the sort-of-made-up Russian sounding words. So much of that language from that book/film stuck in my head. Whiskas do a cat drink called Milk Plus. Just what moggy needs before a night of ultra violence and a spot of the old in out, in out with a devotchka cat.

10 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Read it about 15 years ago - quite a skinny wee book if I remember correctly. Be interesting to hear how he gets to grips with all the sort-of-made-up Russian sounding words. So much of that language from that book/film stuck in my head. Whiskas do a cat drink called Milk Plus. Just what moggy needs before a night of ultra violence and a spot of the old in out, in out with a devotchka cat.

Its on YouTube...

• 2 weeks later...

Just battered straight through "What Does This Button Do?" - autobiography by Bruce Dickinson. He's certainly a lot more than a shouty rock singer, but I'm not sure writing's one of his greatest talents. I'm a fan, so i enjoyed it, but I.m not sure anyone without a prior interest would get too much out of it. Loved the descriptions of learning to fly.

On a personal level, it was spooky reading about his cancer, as diagnosis, treatment and recovery so closely mirrored my own experience.

Overall, a must for Bruce/Maiden fans, a decent if not over-gripping read for newcomers to his life.

Ready Player One - Ernest Cline

I had the day off work yesterday so I battered through this in pretty much one sitting. Overall I enjoyed it though it did start to drag a bit towards the end. Good but flawed would be my summary. It was as if it been written by a 14 year old fanboy. But I suppose that was the intention. I loved a lot of the 80s references though...

The film comes out next year. I checked out the trailer on YouTube and it just looks like yet another cheesy, big budget cgi-fest but with an 80s soundtrack thrown in. I will go to see it but I'm not expecting anything earth shattering.

6 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Just battered straight through "What Does This Button Do?" - autobiography by Bruce Dickinson. He's certainly a lot more than a shouty rock singer, but I'm not sure writing's one of his greatest talents. I'm a fan, so i enjoyed it, but I.m not sure anyone without a prior interest would get too much out of it. Loved the descriptions of learning to fly.

On a personal level, it was spooky reading about his cancer, as diagnosis, treatment and recovery so closely mirrored my own experience.

Overall, a must for Bruce/Maiden fans, a decent if not over-gripping read for newcomers to his life.

He's been a pain in the arse for the last few weeks trying to publicize his book, never off planet rock blethering about it.

Probably will download or buy it mind you.

It's less than a  tenner on Amazon - treat yourself. For me, anyone who undergoes the treatment I did and then tours the Book of Souls has earned the right to be a wee bit of a pain in the arse. Certainly got more depth to him than a lot of rockers who produce their bios.

It's less than a  tenner on Amazon - treat yourself. For me, anyone who undergoes the treatment I did and then tours the Book of Souls has earned the right to be a wee bit of a pain in the arse. Certainly got more depth to him than a lot of rockers who produce their bios.

I'm not much of a rock music fan but I did once read Ozzy Osborne's autobiography. Highlight was when he was checked into rehab for a drug addiction and the first thing he asked was where was the bar. He couldn't understand why he couldn't get booze when it was drugs he was in for, not alcohol.

Hings by Chris McQueer - good in parts, like all short story collections I suppose.
Days without end - Sebastian Barry. I don't get all the hype this has garnered to be honest, I suppose I expected it to be reminiscent of Cormac McCarthy and it didn't come close. I didn't engage with the characters or story at all really.

Trying to make a conscious effort to get back into reading more fiction instead of fucking about on here past midnight.

Finished 'His Bloody Project' in two sessions. Absolutely outstanding. I won't say much more as any hint could spoil it.

Now about half way through ' The Mountain Shadow' the follow up to Shantaram.

I thoroughly enjoyed shantaram but this is heavier going and I find the narrator/author is going to greater lengths to make himself out to be a guid c**t which is beginning to grate.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished these 3 books in the Forgotten Voices series. They take a bit of getting used to, unless you're used to reading various different people's memories of the day in the one book, but they are worth sticking with. They are excellent. The information is taken from the Imperial War Museum. I much prefer reading about events from those who were actually there. Would recommend them.

I thought the best one was D-day, but I started with the Burma one, so it might just be that I was used to them by the time I got round to the third one. There are more books in the series but I haven't tried them.

6ea463b691dc7ae414f35a7382fc10e7.jpg

9a0ec938a55e8b9fd50922f71ea888ca.jpg

92089b947cc0a20d52d612f5459262e0.jpg

Start with A Delicate Truth. It’s a non Smiley book, but it’s the most accessible and it’s on the same line. Then go to The Spy Who Came In From the Cold, which introduces the circus and many of the characters. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy after those two, but you really need your wits about you.

Don’t start with Smiley’s People or The Honorary Schoolboy, as they are parts two and three of the Karla trilogy which begins with Tinker, Tailor. The Smiley novels need to be read in the order they were published.

I've started reading the Le Carre books now. I saw this post, but I forgot to start with A Delicate Truth so I'm straight onto The Spy Who Came In From The Cold.

Helpfully, they have a short introduction section from some other author at the start of the book, where said random author gives the game away about what happens at the end of the book. Bit of a spoiler there. Didn't find that particularly helpful and wondered what possessed the publishers to do that.

On 10/23/2017 at 16:34, moniton said:

Days without end - Sebastian Barry. I don't get all the hype this has garnered to be honest, I suppose I expected it to be reminiscent of Cormac McCarthy and it didn't come close. I didn't engage with the characters or story at all really.

Read that not too long ago and it was OK but nothing like as good as the other stuff I have read from him. Actually in the middle of reading The Secret Scripture, which I am really enjoying. The Whereabouts of Eneas McNulty and The Temporary Gentleman were also very good.

4 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

I've started reading the Le Carre books now. I saw this post, but I forgot to start with A Delicate Truth so I'm straight onto The Spy Who Came In From The Cold.

Helpfully, they have a short introduction section from some other author at the start of the book, where said random author gives the game away about what happens at the end of the book. Bit of a spoiler there. Didn't find that particularly helpful and wondered what possessed the publishers to do that.

I almost always leave out introductions unless they take the form of a prologue.  Kind of sucks about that, but it's only worth reading to introduce the characters and the circus.  It's a primer for George Smiley, basically.