Last Book You Read....

H_B

I'm just finishing the new book about the daily show with Jon Stewart.

If you've ever been a fan of the show (or even if you've not but have a healthy interest in us politics/media) I highly recommend this book.

Very, very easy to read - and tells the story from everyone's perspective. Even Glenn Beck and john McCain get to have their tuppence worth.

7 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Blitzed by Norman Ohler

cover.jpg.rendition.460.707.png

Well researched and fascinating account of drug use and abuse in the 3rd Reich. It certainly offered a different perspective of WW2 that has scarcely been touched elsewhere.

I read the reviews for that a while back, anyone for Pervitin???

I mainly read fitba books. Scottish ones mostly. Last completed one was about Berwick Rangers, which disappointingly turned out not to be a history of the club. Currently reading a Miller's Tale, autobiography of Willie. Decent enough but didn't really need to be ghost written...

Anyone recommend any decent horrors to get on my kindle? Read the vast majority of King etc. Looking for something just a little different.

Quite enjoyed this book. Head Full of Ghosts, a bit of an Exorcist theme.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Head_Full_of_Ghosts

I mainly read fitba books. Scottish ones mostly. Last completed one was about Berwick Rangers, which disappointingly turned out not to be a history of the club. Currently reading a Miller's Tale, autobiography of Willie. Decent enough but didn't really need to be ghost written...

Gazzas autobiography was a very good read, so was Zlatans both different from your normal football autobiographical stuff can't think of any Scottish ones i've read apart from a Hearts best eleven one and the Derelk Ferguson one

5 hours ago, Chimter-boys said:

Gazzas autobiography was a very good read, so was Zlatans both different from your normal football autobiographical stuff can't think of any Scottish ones i've read apart from a Hearts best eleven one and the Derelk Ferguson one

Heartfelt by Aidan Smith is a terrific read. A Hibee who follows Hearts for a season...

The Terror by Dan Simmons is a fictional telling of the lost Franklin expedition to the Artic. The two ships get stuck in the ice for two years and the crew struggle to survivor. There is also a creature out on the ice which occasionally attacks and kills some of the crew. It reminded me a lot of the film The Thing and the book is being turned into a TV show by AMC.

The book is overly long, at over 700 pages and would have been better if it cut down on some of the very detailed descriptions of ships. In saying that, I really enjoyed this book and is worth seeking out.

18 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

The Terror by Dan Simmons is a fictional telling of the lost Franklin expedition to the Artic. The two ships get stuck in the ice for two years and the crew struggle to survivor. There is also a creature out on the ice which occasionally attacks and kills some of the crew. It reminded me a lot of the film The Thing and the book is being turned into a TV show by AMC.

The book is overly long, at over 700 pages and would have been better if it cut down on some of the very detailed descriptions of ships. In saying that, I really enjoyed this book and is worth seeking out.

I've read quite a few of Simmons books and liked most of them but he does overdo it a tad, his books are always pretty big.

Carrion Comfort and the Hyperion Cantos are very different books to The Terror but they are also brilliant reads. I'd credit the Hyperion Cantos with sparking a deep interest in science fiction novels and Carrion Comfort is just plain disturbing with it's 'Mind Vampires'. I'd give Drood a miss though, that's my least favorite of his books.

Hyperion is often cited as science fiction Canterbury Tales as it's mainly about travellers giving their backstories, there's one story in particular (Sol Weintraubs) which I'll never forget.

Let's see, what have I read this year

All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy. Nice. About horses and that.

The Crossing by Cormac McCarthy. A desolate journey through the limits of human resilience. I think it's hopeful.

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery. Patronising shite. Give  better books to your weans.

The Wonderful Adventures of Mrs Seacole in Many Lands by Mary Seacole. Quota fulfilment before mixed race couples in adverts were a thing. But it made the Crimean War seem nice and jolly, so that's something.

Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne. Enthralling. As high-octane an experience reading as the journey itself is, was, whatever.

No Mean City, a fictional tale of the razor gangs from The Gorbals in the 1920s. My mum got it for my Christmas and I must say I'd never heard of it before although it seems quite a famous book relating to Glasgow history. Really enjoyed it although it was pretty obvious what was going to happen. The portrayal of life in the Glasgow slums at that time was brutal but clearly truthful.

Also the name of the Taggart theme which is also quite decent.

34 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

No Mean City, a fictional tale of the razor gangs from The Gorbals in the 1920s. My mum got it for my Christmas and I must say I'd never heard of it before although it seems quite a famous book relating to Glasgow history. Really enjoyed it although it was pretty obvious what was going to happen. The portrayal of life in the Glasgow slums at that time was brutal but clearly truthful.

Also the name of the Taggart theme which is also quite decent.

Read No Mean City in the 70's. It is a famous book.

Maggie Bell of Glasgow band Stone The Crows