ambulances

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on the nature of the "shout". If it's a suicide for instance, they leave the sirens off.

Not much point in racing down he road then. I think a lot are patient transfers from one hospital to another. But time is of the essence.

Depends on the nature of the "shout". If it's a suicide for instance, they leave the sirens off.

No, that's not right.

Sirens are on when they're approaching built-up traffic and need to be heard before they're seen. Sirens off when the traffic isn't too busy.

No, that's not right.

Sirens are on when they're approaching built-up traffic and need to be heard before they're seen. Sirens off when the traffic isn't too busy.

That actually came from a paramedic gaz.

why do some ambulance fly down the road with their blue lights flashing but no siren sounding?

The Ambulance Service turn the sirens off when passing lawyers offices, just incase the parasites start chasing them.

I just assumed they used the sirens when required - like when the traffic is really busy - no point in making a right racket when there's nobody in front of them !?

No, that's not right.

^^^ That and that.

Basically, they only use them when they need to warn others, who are probably not in visual contact with them, of their approach. That might be queued or slow moving traffic that is going in the same direction as them, red lights, stop signs, etc.

gaz,you are wrong with your traffic theory.ambulance with lights but no siren sped through paisley town centre today and it's not first time i have seen it happen.

Were the lights at green? Were they being held up by slower moving traffic?

There are also cases where the siren may cause distress to the patient and so aren't used (that came from my dad who used to be an ambulanceman),

gaz,you are wrong with your traffic theory.ambulance with lights but no siren sped through paisley town centre today and it's not first time i have seen it happen.

Aye, but if the ambulance was easily visible then there would be no need for the sirens eh?

This is from the Ambulance Service website:

An ambulance can only turn on its sirens in an emergency situation. It is then up to the discretion of the driver of the ambulance to decide when to use sirens and lights or just the lights. They will usually switch their sirens on when approaching junctions or traffic to alert people and vehicles to the presence of an ambulance before they can be seen.

My dad works for the Ambulance Service, he uses the sirens when approaching junctions etc. Some crews won't use the lights at night because of the reflections it gives off the roads/signs. They will only use them when they come up to junctions, through temporary traffic lights etc.

Some drivers tend to panic big time when they hear / see an emergency vehicle, like slam on the brakes and sit in the middle of a busy junction like a frightened rabbit.

Best to put the boot down and get the f**k out the way.... imo.

Liar? Eh, Naw. It must have been the guy that told me thats the liar. They do turn the siren off in certain cases of emergencies though. like when the wifes dad collapsed when he was suffering from bowel cancer.

Archived