Lost Junior Grounds

peasy23

An arial shot of Haddington taken just after WWII showing the location of the old Brewery Park (mid left). An interesting one for me this as it is the only photo I've ever seen of the place. (Millfield, the current park is an orchard here)

post-12150-0-54529400-1342088059_thumb.j

A google map of the same area is attached for comparison (Millfield is the enclosed ground to the left of the tag). The old ground has now got an infant school plastered all over it.

post-12150-0-38765600-1342088161_thumb.j

Edited by The Old Northerner

Centre left is New Springfield Park, home of Strathclyde Juniors.

Top Centre is Helenslea Park, home of Parkhead Juniors and facing that on the other side of London Road is New Barrowfield Park, home to Bridgeton Waverley.

I think both Strathclyde and Bridgeton Waverley had their grounds taken from them for a housing development which subsequently never happened with the result that the land is derelict to this day, so they maybe could have kept going if it hadn't been for that. Not sure what happened to Parkhead Juniors. Maybe they succumbed to the three teams being so close together thing?

Love the old Ayr Parkhouse pic. What a great location for a fitba ground. Shame its gone.

Would have been the perfect new stadium for Whitletts Vics.

Later had an ice rink, then Safeway supermarket built on it.

Most of the location is now covered by the Matalan car park, railway sidings and the Sports Direct store.

Another shot of St Anthony's Moore Park.

SPW040310.jpg

There are actually three lost Junior grounds visible in the photo of Govan.

New Moore Park was originally two pitches running north/south. Many minor teams played there, including works teams, juveniles and the Govan Pleasant Sunday Afternoon team. The Ants took over in 1929 and turned it into one pitch running east/west. Harland & Wolff held the lease.

Above New Moore Park in the photo is the original Moore Park (aka Moorepark), lying derelict by this time and awaiting the construction of the "Wine Alley" housing estate. It lay on the west side of Broomloan Road and ran north/south. The Ants took it over in 1906 when Co-operative United FC (a Junior side) went bust. It was always described as a "model enclosure" and probably held five or six thousand fans after the Ants made considerable improvements. You had to go through a works yard to get to the payboxes from Broomloan Road. The Ants sub-let the ground to juvenile teams, including Govan Emerald and Govan Hibs.

Fifty yards to the north is Gymnasium Park, Benburb's second ground – just too far away from Moore Park to lob a brick or bottle. It was originally the Govan Police Sports Association ground, renamed by the Bens when they moved in 1912. It was a very tight little ground running east/west and abutting Broomloan Road. The railway goods yard fans out behind the north side of the park and there is a whitewashed factory building at the north-east corner. Fairfield Shipyard held the lease and their Junior team played there a few years before the Bens.

Edited by Osama bin Ant

Osama - do you know what the ground was on Helen Street midway between Moore Park and the White City. It was on Helen Street directly across from what is now the entrance into Asda?

If you mean the one on the east side of Helen Street on the other side of Edmiston Drive, I have seen two aerial photos of it. One where it was definitely a (very small) football pitch. In the other it appeared to be a car park with vans parked on it. I asked around but got no satisfactory answer. So sorry, can't help you.

If you mean the one on the east side of Helen Street on the other side of Edmiston Drive, I have seen two aerial photos of it. One where it was definitely a (very small) football pitch. In the other it appeared to be a car park with vans parked on it. I asked around but got no satisfactory answer. So sorry, can't help you.

If it had nothing to do with the Bens or the Ants I'm wondering if it might've been connected with the adjoining bus depot because I can't make out a dividing wall between the two.

Here it is with the White City to the left, Tinto Park above, Moore Park to the right and the Albion training ground below and with Ibrox just out of picture, it's some amount of stadiums in the one wee area!

http://img.photobuck...llion/govan.jpg

The Albion ground looked to be quite substantial actually - did anyone actually play there ?

It was a dog racing track in it's former days Bill. Right next to the White City Stadium as well! Here's how it looked before they brought the ends in to build the multi's.

In this photo you can see what Osama was saying about Moore Park being two pitches side by side running north-south.

albion.jpg

Edited by Brig O'Lea

White City was demolished for the arrival of the motorway in the late 60s, anyone know when the Albion was knocked down and turned into a carpark?

Firstly great photo's again chaps !!. I know I am not supposed to say anything nice about the Ants but great research as always by Osama. Just do not tell the Bens guys I said that !!.

The photo from Brig O'Lea shows; On extreme right is a corner of the Ants Moore Park ground. At the very top of the picture you can see Tinto Park. The long cover facing and the big terracing behind the ssouth goal. Also clear is the clubhouse in the corner and the smaller terracing behind the north (downslope) goal. Next to the high blocks is the Albion Stadium. This was a dog track until the early 1960's. rangers bought the stadium and used it as their training ground. When the Govan High school got burned down in that period we were sent to the old Bellahouston Academy building (a dump !). I used to walk past all the parks during the coldest winter since year dot and seen the Rangers players walk over the road to training.

The White City to the left of the picture was also a good stadium. The owner ( I think) was a big Ants fan and on their committee for a while. They had stock car racing in the summer and it attracted big crowds to a good nights entertainment.

Tinto

White City was demolished for the arrival of the motorway in the late 60s, anyone know when the Albion was knocked down and turned into a carpark?

reckon it was early 90's boy I was at school with played for rangers as a schoolboy and can remember hinm saying about training and playing at the albion left school in 91 ricky went to play for ipswich town, ironically he is now the winton coach

Here is another one of White City and the Albion (and Moorpark to keep it Junior),

and a second photo that gives a better view of Tinto.

Not sure when this was taken but about 12 places I worked at dont appear to have been built yet.

post-10864-0-88030300-1342373871_thumb.j

post-10864-0-54107500-1342373988_thumb.j

Edited by drs

Roseberry park, home of Shawfield Juniors -

Polmadie.jpg

The home of Strathclyde Juniors (obviously after they went defunct)

STRATHCLYDEFC.jpg

and finally, not a Junior ground but as I was at a meeting at Hampden on Wednesday I went to Cathkin Park for the first time,

post-10864-0-93531400-1342374776_thumb.j

post-10864-0-55528700-1342374789_thumb.j

Edited by drs

I have heard that the Benburb's big covered enclosure originally was at Ibrox and was taken down and re-erected at Tinto , when was this, pre-WW2?.

As far as i am aware the cover at Tinto Park was built in the early 1950's as new.

Good memories of Cathkin Park. Several boys in my class at school were ardent hi hi supporters. The first time I went there the crush barriers were concrete. However they were changed to the red metal ones during one close season. Seen the Thirds in the semi final of the League Cup at Ibrox when they beat Arbroath 3-0. In the final their keeper; who was very small; Jocky Robertson played a blinder but they lost to Hearts 2-1 despite scoring in the first minute. Third Lanark were a strong side and had George Young formerly of Rangers as manager.

Went to Roseberry Park when very young but do not remember much apart from a red brick wall around the ground.

Petershill Park always had a bit of class to it and a good support.

Love these photo's they play on my nostalgia.

Many Thanks,

Tinto