Lost Junior Grounds

peasy23

On 26/07/2020 at 17:48, patriot1 said:

I believe that Steelend gave up because the landowner seriously upped the rent so it's unlikely that any amateur team would take it on and Steelend's committee consisted of two brothers so i'm not sure the bodies are there to set up a senior club.

I think this wasn’t exactly true and the farmer was in fact very accommodating to the club. Someone posted a few months ago with an alternative story to Steelend’s demise but my memory is terrible and I can’t recall what was written.

Awesome pitch and some great pictures though! Would love to have a game there, seems such a waste that it doesn’t get used

I stopped supporting Kelty Hearts because they appointed a manager who was an utter disaster for his previous team , a manager that despite claiming he had learned from that job  looks like he is continuing the same sign everything that moves policy that went so well at Broadwood. So unlucky chump.
That's a pretty poor reason for stopping following your team if I'm honest. We've all had desicions or appointments at our clubs we don't agree with but you don't stop supporting them. Anyway he won the Lowland league so how is he a bad appointment?

On 30/07/2020 at 21:00, LongTimeLurker said:

Sure is. The pitch was between the two lighter patches of grass. For years you could see the back stancion of the goalposts near the road, but everything has gone now.

Here’s an obscure one - Wanlock Lads from the remarkable village of Wanlockhead -

IMG_4645.thumb.jpg.74fb60fb4e6020b9ae2c7db0c8559e99.jpg

The side from the highest village in Scotland lasted less than a season - 1947/48 - in Dumfriesshire junior fitba.

A later team appeared in the counties’ amateurs from 1977 until 1981, though they played in Kelloholm. By my visit in 2018 the pitch had long been left to nature.

Please visit Wanlockhead if you get the chance, the mining museum is a joy.

ETA - yes, I know this is very obscure indeed and the pitch is nothing more than a field now. But I can’t not mention the village. The Talbot fans and their 5000+ crowds would struggle to fit in.

Douglas Water Thistle. Amateur fitba was played here until at least the 1980s AFAIK?

Not to be confused with the all-conquering Douglas Amateurs of the 1960s and 1970s.

And yes, I’ll probably do a Largs Thistle programme piece on them one day.

IMG_2136.thumb.jpg.e9a0bbef488724ceb4b378dbe8f3e9ef.jpg

IMG_2138.jpg

On 2 August 2020 at 21:57, Sunrise said:

Douglas Water Thistle. Amateur fitba was played here until at least the 1980s AFAIK?

Not to be confused with the all-conquering Douglas Amateurs of the 1960s and 1970s.

And yes, I’ll probably do a Largs Thistle programme piece on them one day.

IMG_2136.thumb.jpg.e9a0bbef488724ceb4b378dbe8f3e9ef.jpg

IMG_2138.jpg

Douglas Whatter