The weird stadiums thread

Swampy

The thin side used to be a terrace called the Bob Stand since it cost a Bob to get in. They they brought in a plastic pitch (the old horrible sand based one), a membership scheme (that nobody other than Maggie Thatcher liked) and the hospitality section. They've wanted to redevelop or move for years - IIRC the train tracks were disused and they hoped to build a new stand, then it turned out that a new bypass was going to use the trackbed instead but that didn't happen either. 

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kenilworth road is a lashed up shambles of a ground. f**k knows how it is still standing the main stand was second hand about 90 years ago when they put it up. They've had no end of crooks running the place it's a wonder none of them put a match to it late one night.

If it finally goes through the new ground will be slap bang in the centre of town next to the university but we'll wait and see.

45 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Kenilworth road is a lashed up shambles of a ground. f**k knows how it is still standing the main stand was second hand about 90 years ago when they put it up. They've had no end of crooks running the place it's a wonder none of them put a match to it late one night.

If it finally goes through the new ground will be slap bang in the centre of town next to the university but we'll wait and see.

They had a perfectly good chance to have it demolished when Millwall visited in 1985. Another 10 minutes would have done it.

article-2269616-173707AF000005DC-64_634x433.jpg

2017-01-09-20-46-09-495866308.jpeg

On 07/01/2017 at 15:36, tongue_tied_danny said:

Bristol Rovers...

memorial-ground-bristol-rovers-fc-west-s

memorial-ground-bristol-rovers-fc-north-

memorial-ground-bristol-rovers-fc-south-

memorial-ground-bristol-rovers-fc-east-s

From the television cameras it looks like the covered terrace behind the goal is a lot bigger than in that photo. Always looks packed. 

Can't remember if I (or anyone else has) posted this before but FK Vozdovak in the Serbian SuperLiga's stadium is built above a shopping centre. Capacity of 5,200 which is a little small but I love the concept

1 hour ago, Smurph said:

Can't remember if I (or anyone else has) posted this before but FK Vozdovak in the Serbian SuperLiga's stadium is built above a shopping centre. Capacity of 5,200 which is a little small but I love the concept

Neuchatel Xamax have a similar set up. It's a strange experience when you walk into the ground, walk up half a dozen flights of stairs, then walk out level with the pitch.

The MAPEI Stadium in Reggio Emilia (formerly the Stadio Giglio) is also built on top of/incorporated into a shopping centre. Sassuolo play there at the moment, as do Reggiana (remember them?) and Carpi played their season in Serie A at the ground. I think some rugby gets played there too?

https://goo.gl/images/z1FLmJ

https://goo.gl/images/6gh5DQ

The MAPEI Stadium in Reggio Emilia (formerly the Stadio Giglio) is also built on top of/incorporated into a shopping centre. Sassuolo play there at the moment, as do Reggiana (remember them?) and Carpi played their season in Serie A at the ground. I think some rugby gets played there too?
https://goo.gl/images/z1FLmJ
https://goo.gl/images/6gh5DQ

FC Basel's stadium is built above a shopping centre, and the pitch centre is marked directly under it on the shop floor.

10 hours ago, yogisbairns said:

FC Basel's stadium is built above a shopping centre, and the pitch centre is marked directly under it on the shop floor.

It also has an old folks home built into it.

Enjoyed going back through this thread from the start but noticed a few missing that I thought should have been up by now. Maybe some are doublers. Apologies if so.

First two are the Kramyra Stadion. The old stadium of Aalesund. Where, in lieu of stands, ye ge to just stand on the hill like a fucking hobbit.

Aalesund.PNG

Alesund.PNG

Then this one is the home of Cadbury Athletic FC. Dunno what the rest of the ground looks like but that wee Edwardian cottage is pretty cool. Bonus points if it's made out of gingerbread or some other kind of confectionary.

Cadbury.PNG

Archived