The weird stadiums thread

Swampy

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sar2a.jpg

FK "Olimpic" Sarajevo, with a view of a chronically giant Saudi-built mosque at Otoka in Sarajevo. Saudies, Turks and Qataris all donated huge sums of money to re-build mosques destroyed by fascists in the 1992-95 siege. Unfortunately they built gigantic things totally out of sale with the surroundings and completely inappropriate for Bosnia, which has a tradition of much smaller msoques overall.

The stadium itself is one strange semi-circular stand and the rest of the ground is open, right next to Sarajevo's main route, "Zmaja od Bosne". Olimpic are a new outfit- founded in the depths of the siege in 1993- who have risen from parks football to Bosnia's premier league in just over 20 years. They are in the shadow of Sarajevo's big two clubs- Željeznicar (Railway Workers, the city's oldest club founded in 1921) and FK Sarajevo (hideous maroon goblins owned by Vincent Tan).

850px-Stadion_Otoka.jpg

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

The Tampa Bay Rowdies play at Al Lang Stadium which is on the marina by the looks of it. IMG_1481028629.998208.jpg

Must be a few in the US that look similar. I imagine a lot of old and unused baseball parks will be converted as football becomes ever more popular over there.

I know Scotland have had a few youth games at Oriam and Hearts under 20's have games there, but what it is like for spectators? I've seen some smart Scandinavian indoor stadia with pretty reasonable capacities, and if I ever won the Euromillions I'd build something similar for the Pars.

8 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Anybody been to Oriam yet?

P1030598.jpg

IMG_1772.jpg

Aye and no. I was at a game at the outdoor pitch and had a look in as well as a look when I went to the toilet at half time. So I have seen it but not been in it to watch a game.

My mates been there and says its freezing as it has to be the same as out side to stop condensation.

Does anybody think an indoor spfl premier league stadium would be awesome? With a 3g pitch and roof would mean games never cancelled, never freezing and never windy. Would also create an amazing noisy atmosphere?

I passed through Akureyri on a nice sunny  autumn day in referendum week 2 years ago, looked a nice place. Hope they pay you enough to have a couple of beers :lol:

Akureyri is a fantastic place. Was stuck there for three days because winds pinned our ship to the quayside. Would love to go back.

2 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Aye and no. I was at a game at the outdoor pitch and had a look in as well as a look when I went to the toilet at half time. So I have seen it but not been in it to watch a game.

My mates been there and says its freezing as it has to be the same as out side to stop condensation.

It was absolutely Baltic on Sunday anyway but same outside, there was some frost on the car. Heated in the cafe though.

11 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Anybody been to Oriam yet?

P1030598.jpg

IMG_1772.jpg

I've seen 4/5 games in there now Mantis mainly Scotland youth games and like it. As Cowden says it's kept at the outside temperature though so wrap up warm. 

16 hours ago, ftk said:

Does anybody think an indoor spfl premier league stadium would be awesome? With a 3g pitch and roof would mean games never cancelled, never freezing and never windy. Would also create an amazing noisy atmosphere?

Problem is even these indoor pitches cost the best part of £20M with ancillary facilities etc. Imagine the cost of one seating a few thousand.

18 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I know Scotland have had a few youth games at Oriam and Hearts under 20's have games there, but what it is like for spectators? I've seen some smart Scandinavian indoor stadia with pretty reasonable capacities, and if I ever won the Euromillions I'd build something similar for the Pars.

Capacities are 400-500 at Toryglen, Ravenscraig and Oriam, IIRC. There is no seating at Aberdeen Sports Village, just a balcony.

Incidentally, apparently only Oriam is allowed to be used for competitive games... Roofs are too low at the rest. Shortly after it opened they played a prolonged Junior Cup postponement in Ravenscraig and the ball hit the rafters several times in each half, resulting in a drop-ball. Clearance isn't much down sides.

Archived