In the age of the internet, paper fanzines have had their day. Blog sites & forums can update in an instant whereas fanzines can find themselves completely behind events from the time it takes to type them up & print them. Moreover, fans don't need to pay for the privilege to read the ones on the net.

I don't know. When Saturday Comes is essentially a fanzine, and does okay.

Fair enough, it's a readership of around 20,000, as opposed to something like FourFourTwo which I think is 250,000, but there's clearly a hunger for it.

A Scottish WSC would sell in my opinion. Especially if it wasn't scared to say exactly what it thinks of Rangers and Celtic, without worrying about the trolls.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SLJ bought the Killie Hippo yesterday. It was shite.

Sick in the Basin is supposedly going to make a come-back. We had the guy who made it on the Jagscast this week but it's not been put up because of technical issues or something. Looks pretty good.

Fritz?

Mass Hibsteria used to be a decent read, their feature on Pele 'the black Chic Charnley' sticks out as a particular favourite. Think it went the way of the dinosaur, bar the cup final specials, in 2001/2.

Occasionally buy 'No One Likes Us' at the Den. Bit humourless though.

• 2 years later...

Bump.

Sorry to resurrect a nearly 4 year old thread, and if this counts as spam then I await the vengeful wrath of the mods, but I'm currently looking for copies of The Absolute Game from back in the day - anyone got any sitting in a box in the loft/garage that they fancy bunging my way?

I've got a full set but no :lol:

Caley's (On a) LSM was world class for a non-League club and Thistle's 24 Hours From Rotterdam was excellent too though it only lasted about 4 issues.

lsm4.jpg

Plenty samples HERE but the jokes won't make much sense unless you were there at the time.

Plenty of good ol anti-merger stuff though, and an interview with Kevin Mann who used to travel from Aberdeen, on what it meant to play for the Caley.... (sob)

Loads of Celtic fanzines likes my fellow Celts have already said and listed.

Where I disagree is the opinion on 'Alternative View'. I quite like it as it is more laid back and a quick and easy read which is what you want from a fanzine. I do agree though that Matt McGlone can overdo the ego thing a bit much and his personal fall-out with one of the Celtic View does get brought out in the articles too often.

I preferred his previous fanzine...'Once a Tim' though, as the numerous wee cartoon sketches they had were really good and funny. If only they could get that guy to contribute to the current fanzine.

I've got loads of ad ones in the house somewhere...

I bought a complete run of the Johnny Flood Experience recently 8)

The current Thistle one SITB is done by the same bampots that did the original version...

Queens had the aptly named " Nightmare on Terregles Street " back in the day.

I thought Dundees " It's half past four and we're 2-0 down " captured perfectly what it was to follow your team.

Especially to far flung away games when the long trip home beckoned.

• 6 months later...
I don't know. When Saturday Comes is essentially a fanzine, and does okay.

A Scottish WSC would sell in my opinion. Especially if it wasn't scared to say exactly what it thinks of Rangers and Celtic, without worrying about the trolls.

You mean The Absolute Game which is sadly missed. Perhaps Nutmeg, although not strictly a fanzine, can partially fill that hole.

As for current fanzines The Red Final is still going strong, still with lengthy essays from Merkie in tiny print and Gordon Reid's cartoons

Archived