Video game music

Swampy

Been trying out various demo's on XBL Arcade and i gave the Scott Pilgrim game a crack, its a proper 8 bit side scrolling beat em up in the spirits of Streets of Rage, but the music is what caught me, i play the demo now just to listen to it. Its reminds me so much of the old days of 8 Bit gaming.

Agree completely with you all regarding Uematsu, I've been a big fan of his soundtracks for years, he has his own "band" composed of former SquareEnix staff called "The Black Mages" who do rock remixes of tracks from the various FF games, some of them are cracking "The Extreme" from FF8 is a noteworthy one.

MGS Soundtracks are fantastic! Always have been, "Snake Eater" gets my vote as best one personally. Agree with that "Go for the Goal" from PES 2008 its bloody fantastic! The elder scrolls games have great soundtracks, mostly because after 500+ hours of Oblivion I wasn't stick of hearing the music. The Intro of Skyrim is just fantastic.

Bioshock is another one with a good soundtrack I totally agree there, fallout 3 for similar reasons. Mass Effect 2 may possibly have the greatest soundtrack I've ever heard on a game, the music from the start menu still gives me shivers. Infact all 3 games have fantastic soundtracks. Loved the menu Music from Batman Arkham City aswell.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got to say I'm a bit snobbish when it comes to classifying computer game music. Part of the fun, for me at least, was the ability of taking difficult technical restrictions and creating great tunes in them. When you got to the stage where computers could playback samples rather than being forced to use preset waveforms with a limited number of channels then it stops becoming computer music and just becomes music on the computer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi-Dz_t1AHM&feature=related

Speaking of Final Fantasy, I've never enjoyed one of their games since they moved away from the turn based system in 12. (I never played 11) so my last game that I actually liked was 10 with that and 8 being my favourite. I was even more disappointed, when the creator of the upcoming FF said it'll be a more action based RPG rather than their traditional style.:(

Something unique about the SID sound, still sounds awesome today.

Check out the Kernkraft 400 track I linked above, it rips Lazy Jones' "Stardust" loop and they got done for it.

Can't link to it but the title tune on chaos engine on the Amiga is amazing.

Check out a Bangladeshi band called Joi, as they were responsible for the title track.

Cracking track by Fred Gray, from Mutants. A good wee game most notable for having a penis on the loading screen..

It also had a great little in game track but I can't find a link for that.

Another Gray, Matt this time (I actually don't know if they are related as there is so little information about Matt despite him having some truly excellent tunes on the C64).

Driller is the game, and showed exactly why at stumbling in at less than 1Mhz (well the PAL version did with those sneaky NTSC Americans getting just above it) the computer should never be used for 3D gaming. That said, while Driller was a very decent puzzle game, it's ridiculous speed issues were less niggling thanks to this masterpiece of a tune. At 9 minutes or so, it's well worth a listen.

I just pressed play on every video you posted on the last page at the same time to see what it sounded like.

Very nearly had a seizure.

Heh.. it takes about a 2 minutes for all the videos just to embed the start code into the page for me, let alone getting the buggers to play!

Getting Pro Evo 4 for my 12th birthday was one of the happiest days of my life. Played it for hours every day. I had an unexplainable obsession with Dejan Stankovic, God knows why! laugh.gif

It's brilliant at that age when a game is genuinely one of the only things that matter in your life at that point. smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq4jlM148QU

I can't believe it's been 12 years since I was playing Mouse Trap (by myself laugh.gif) and my big brother walks into the room with this. What a fine game.

I loved the utterly pointless cutscenes in season mode which usually went along the lines of 'I wonder what Farooq and Bradshaw are talking about?' laugh.gif

Archived