Video game music

Swampy

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Final Fantasy depends on which ones you played first. 9 and 10 were the first I played and the only ones I've ever stuck with until the end whereas 7 and 8 just bored me. I think we can all agree that 13 was shite though.

Can't believe no one has chosen their favorite ocean loader yet.

Dunn, Clarke and Galway - legends of SID!

4 is my favorite, just!

Worth checking out 1, 2 and 3.

What a fucker, I had a hugely detailed post laid out that took me about half an hour to compile only for my browser to crash. <_< Anyway, let's try again, it'll be less info this time not that you'll know it..

I love retro computer tunes and have been listening to them pretty much since the 80's when, of course, they weren't retro. I don't want to bang on about it but I was part of the hacking and cracking scene on the c64 at the time and part of my "job" was intros and trainers which involved making bouncy texts and copperlist graphics and throwing some music into it. As music has moved on I've always said there was a lot of merit in the original tunes of the time, certainly the C64 ones which while limited in ability mixed well with the electro synth sound of the time (lots of Numan, Kraftwerk and the like) as the cycle of music keeps repeating itself I've noticed more and more subtle influences used in current music that can be attributed back to the 80's and 90's computer tunes.

First off I'd like to link in a couple of streaming sites...

Slay Radio streams C64 remixes (you can download them direct from RKO, link is included further down the post) but will also throw in some new stuff done on the 6581 chip as well. They have a regular podcast too. You think that the scene is dead? Not really although it is very much a geeky limited gene pool as it were...

Kohina streams the original tunes and not just from the C64, other 8 bit (and some 16 bit) formats are covered too.

Now for some download sites:

sid.oth4 is a repository of original sid (the format the C64 used) tunes played through a PC using a hardware 6581 board and saved as MP3.

RKO (mentioned above) is where to find all the remixed versions of C64 tunes. This site is a a personal favourite of mine and there are some utter gems hidden on it, like the acoustic version of the Sanxion loader or a bossanova inspired take on the Ghosts and Goblins tune.

Now onto some YouTube links.

Not sure if many would recognise the name Reyn_Ouwehand but he was responsible for some very decent tunes on the C64 and is, as you would expect, a very competent "real world" musician as well. He has done some excellent live remixes C64 tunes such as..

Wizball..

Green Beret..

Continued as you can only put so many YT links into one post..

Parallax..

All Martin Galway originals, a stunningly good musician on the C64 who is the nephew of the famous flute player James Galway, although Reyn does other tunes too.. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Reyn+Ouwehand

Another cracking remix I found purely by accident was on a Dubstep compilation from Sick Records, this is Pinball Fantasies by Muffler...

More... (oh, yes, I could literally keep posting all night!)

Press Play On Tape are a live outfit from Denmark that perform C64, Amiga and general geek tunes and have taken it on tour, albeit mostly at geek events (I don't think you'll see them down the Barras any time soon, although you never know!)

This is them doing a version of Monty on the Run..

They are not shy in taking the piss out of themselves either, as this "boyband" remix of Comic Bakery tune shows...

For anyone actually interested in the more geekier side of this, Rob Hubbard (a legend of computer music) did a seminar discussing both his history in computer game music as well as a general overview of the times. It's amazing to think of how back bedroom the industry was at the time when you compare it to now with it's millions of pounds budgets and massive staff.

This is part one (of five)..

A couple of final links that should be useful if you like this sort of stuff..

Lemon (C64 and Amiga) which details most of the games released for the machines as well as the music and covers interviews with designers, coders and musicians.

Can't believe no one has chosen their favorite ocean loader yet.

Worth checking out 1, 2 and 3.

Certainly are worth checking out. My personal favourite is #2 and I used that quite regularly for several things, with #3 being a sly wee fucker with it dropping out of the standard tune and turning into something funky. First used on Slap Fight, it sounds mental but I literally wet myself when it came in, sad as that sounds...

This showcases both 2 and 3 (forward on to about 4:00 for #3)

Talking of loading tunes we can't get away without at least a tip of the hat to The Last Ninja which while being a fairly small game Last Ninja 1, 2 and 3 featured some absolutely sumptuous music and for the time pretty stunning graphics. Each level had it's own loading tune as well as in game tune all paced to make you feel the progression through the game as you reached the last levels it ramped up to a crescendo.

Interestingly, while computer music blatantly stole from "real world" musicians with little comeback when real world musicians tried to do the same thing they occasionally fell foul of the law, such was the case of Zombie Nation's "Kernkraft 400" which pretty much ripped the loop from Lazy Jones (a very old collection of little sub games) which was done by Dave Whittaker (another C64 music stalwart).

Kernkraft 400

Lazy Jones (forward to 0:40)

I promise this will be my last post for now, but I can't go without leaving two of my utter favourite C64 tunes...

Lightforce - Rob Hubbard

I have been known to have this on my headphones when coding at work for an entire day. I just loooove this tune. I've heard a few remixes of it in my time but the original is still one of the best. I would love to hear this properly done in a club though.

Internal jukebox b*****d this one. After listening to it I'm whistling Jeroen Tel's classic for days (and now will be).

Archived