Walking Down The Halbeath Road

When I saw Morris last month in Glasgow he said he was staying, but probably just saying that to appease me from nagging him.

Apparently he's been on the radar from both Dundee United and Aberdeen. If they offer him a contract he'll be offski for sure.

At the start of the season we heard about how our team was ‘full of kids’ and how low the average age was. A lot was made of this, and many tried to make out that were basically a team full of inexperienced youngsters.

That of course was nonsense. Whilst it’s true to say that we did have some very young players who had little to no experience, the truth is that we started with a strong spine of experienced players such as Falkingham, Wallace, Geggan, Thomson, Husband, Potter and Dargo, as well as a few of the younger players having played some games last season.

Being one of the only two full time teams in the league, we should have been favourites for second, and indeed we have secured that. We have played quite well during the season, with some blips here and there as most teams will experience.

However, our current form is worrying and does not bode well for the playoffs. We strengthened in January by adding two very good and experienced players in Grainger and Forbes who, quite frankly, are too good for this division. We also added Page and Shankland, giving us quite a good squad and giving us decent depth. We have been underperforming for a while now, and with the squad we have and being full time, it’s pretty poor. I think an attitude of ‘job done’ settled in a while ago with the team, and has halted any momentum we had. This lack of momentum going in to the playoffs is very concerning, and right now I don’t think we will be successful in the playoffs.

I also think that many of our fans have not taken this league seriously enough. The atmosphere at most games has been abysmal, and I think it’s because too many fans just see our opponents as a ‘wee team’, despite the fact that that is exactly what we are. When we were in the SPL and went away to a lower league team in the cups, the same atmosphere was around. It’s one of complacency. People have (remarkably) come out with some pish about how the team and the fans are the closest they’ve ever seen. Utter garbage. Whilst there is definitely a bond between the players and fans, and one of the best for a long time, the fans at times are not getting behind the team enough and moaning like fuckers at the games. I remember the support we took to the Stenhousemuir game on the 2nd of January was really good, but so silent. The crowd we took to the 4-5 game there earlier was much smaller but many times more vocal. When we played The Rangers at East End there was an atmosphere with loads of folk singing for almost the whole game, yet in most other games it’s almost utter silence. It comes across as quite arrogant frankly, as if other teams are beneath us and not worth bothering about. Maybe if the players had better backing, the results recently would not have been so poor. Is it possible that the complacency from the stands has permeated in to the team?

As a full time team with plenty of experience and with many promising and talented young players (such asWilliamson, El Bakhtaoui, Morris, Moore, Smith, Whittle), we really should be winning the playoffs. Anything else must be considered a failure.

I’d like to add that I’m glad I’m able to moan about this after our club nearly dying, and it is definitely being run in the right way now and the future looks bright. Really, this is just a trivial concern just now and whilst I would be a bit disappointed if we didn’t get promotion, I wouldn’t be gutted as I’ve enjoyed the away trips this season and would do next season.

Ah a DA Baracus rant, it's been a while.

Potter and dargo are coaches in the main, and since when was a 22 year old seen as an experienced player?

Re-atmosphere, I don't think it's really anything to do with arrogance or anything like that, its in part because there isn't enough opposition fans to get a good back and forth going(that's not a slight at the clubs in the division, just a fact) but probably in the main as we don't have any big games, no real derbys and we haven't been in a close battle over a league position.

Ah a DA Baracus rant, it's been a while.

Potter and dargo are coaches in the main, and since when was a 22 year old seen as an experienced player?

Re-atmosphere, I don't think it's really anything to do with arrogance or anything like that, its in part because there isn't enough opposition fans to get a good back and forth going(that's not a slight at the clubs in the division, just a fact) but probably in the main as we don't have any big games, no real derbys and we haven't been in a close battle over a league position.

How old do you have to be before you can be experienced then? I thought experience was on the number of games you played, not how old you were.

You could be right about the atmosphere, although I do sometimes get the impression that some fans are a bit arrogant. Not all mind, just some. You don't need opposition fans singing to get behind your team though.

I also think that many of our fans have not taken this league seriously enough. The atmosphere at most games has been abysmal, and I think it’s because too many fans just see our opponents as a ‘wee team’, despite the fact that that is exactly what we are. When we were in the SPL and went away to a lower league team in the cups, the same atmosphere was around. It’s one of complacency. People have (remarkably) come out with some pish about how the team and the fans are the closest they’ve ever seen. Utter garbage. Whilst there is definitely a bond between the players and fans, and one of the best for a long time, the fans at times are not getting behind the team enough and moaning like fuckers at the games. I remember the support we took to the Stenhousemuir game on the 2nd of January was really good, but so silent. The crowd we took to the 4-5 game there earlier was much smaller but many times more vocal. When we played The Rangers at East End there was an atmosphere with loads of folk singing for almost the whole game, yet in most other games it’s almost utter silence. It comes across as quite arrogant frankly, as if other teams are beneath us and not worth bothering about. Maybe if the players had better backing, the results recently would not have been so poor. Is it possible that the complacency from the stands has permeated in to the team?

Wow. Just wow. I really don't know where to start with this.

So a noisy vociferous support is a sign of fans who are not complacent? If our fans sing & dance for 90 minutes in 1/3rd full stadiums with next to no away support then we've accepted where we are & the league we're in? You'll need to explain that one to me as I don't understand it one little bit. I've attended a fair few away games this season & have really enjoyed them. After so many years in the top 2 leagues there is a definite novelty factor to this league & the grounds we've went to (which may wear off).

However I remember vividly walking out of Glebe Park in September not really being too disappointed at drawing a game 1-1 that we should have won. I was kinda content that we had grabbed a point from a game where both teams had a half each & deserved to take something. I didn't see any complacency at all amongst players or supporters. I think most of our fans have acknowledged where we are & what we need to do to get out this league but it was never EVER going to be easy. I've been to 30-odd games this season & very few of them have been "easy" (Arbroath 3-0 at home is about the only one that would fall into that category) - indeed every team has posed us problems at some point during the 90 minutes.

I really think you've made up this complacency/arrogance issue in your head based on what you read on here & .net. Indeed if any of our supporters still believe we are better than this league then it would be more stupidity than arrogance.

Edited by da_no_1

Exactly.

Atmosphere at games is a pretty organic thing. The size of crowd, proximity to other fans, importance of the fixture.. Fans are not performing monkeys. I think the atmosphere started to die at East End when Leishman left. The crowds dropped dramatically and for a generation, those who had filled the terraces were treated with contempt. Getting folk back into the ground for a wee drink and a natter beforehand is a great way to start reaching out to these people (ie blokes who like a pint/to get a wee bit lairy) but we're a long way off from East End from being some sort of cauldron every week.

Good on DA Baracus for chucking in a grenade though! We finished second with plenty to spare - I know the current form is poor but the focus is on the playoffs. Just now is little more than a mini-preseason before the action really kicks off.

How old do you have to be before you can be experienced then? I thought experience was on the number of games you played, not how old you were.

You could be right about the atmosphere, although I do sometimes get the impression that some fans are a bit arrogant. Not all mind, just some. You don't need opposition fans singing to get behind your team though.

Yeah your probably right in saying number of games is a factor, I'd probably say its a mixture of both, in terms of age I'd probably say 24+ and in appearances I'd be looking for a player to be reasonably comfortably into 3 figures.

Their is absolutely no doubt we have some in our fan base who are arrogant, but I wouldn't say we are particularly bad for that, or that we have been worse for it this season over previous ones.

I'm not a vocal fan tbh, I am quite happy to just sit and watch the game in silence. But then again, when everyone is right up for it I am more than happy to join in with a sing song. Can't remember the last time everyone was in harmony and getting behind the team fully. I can imagine that after dropping 2 divisions, there are many individuals that feel the team shouldn't need our constant backing to pick up easy wins against teams that may be seen as "beneath us". Most teams have come to East End and given us a proper good go. I wouldn't go as far as saying we're better than this league because that's not fair. I'd say we have the quality right now to be mid to lower Championship. Of course while we're a league 1 team we have to get the business done and for the most part, we have. Despite blowing hot and cold this season we managed to achieve that 2nd place we were looking for. Now everyone has to turn their attention and focus to the playoffs. Fans and players alike, we must both be on the same page to have a chance of winning the playoffs.

The only atmosphere I feel these days at East End is complete hostility towards the officials (because they are all against us apparently) and a small "singing section" that huddle round a drum in fascination, not even watching the game.

Baracus, what you say doesn't make sense. On one hand you think the fans are arrogant and don't make any noise because we assume we're better than everybody else and don't realise we're a diddy team. On the other, you're saying that we should of course finish 2nd because we're one of only two full-time teams? So we are bigger/better than everyone else but people are wrong to think that? Something doesn't add up there.

.net is in absolute meltdown, someone mentioned a possible signing target before it is to be mentioned in tomorrow's courier. Only clue is that he plays his football not too far away and he is a striker. Any ideas? Hemmings perhaps?

Maybe to do with the fact that if we sign him he'll be our player for the play offs and we wanted to keep things quiet? Then what's the courier thing about.

If the Courier run the story there isn't an awful lot we can do about it. If we sign Hemmings and make it to the play-off final with Cowden then there would obviously be a conflict of interest there, they couldn't possibly play him given the circumstances.

If the Courier run the story there isn't an awful lot we can do about it. If we sign Hemmings and make it to the play-off final with Cowden then there would obviously be a conflict of interest there, they couldn't possibly play him given the circumstances.

I heard about this a couple months back but thought it was bullshit. What a signing he'd be.

I heard about this a couple months back but thought it was bullshit. What a signing he'd be.

Complete censorship on .net now, no form of discussion regarding the situation will take place on the forums it would appear. It would be a fantastic signing, I'm assuming I can say that without lawyers hounding me?

Complete censorship on .net now, no form of discussion regarding the situation will take place on the forums it would appear. It would be a fantastic signing, I'm assuming I can say that without lawyers hounding me?

Even the discussion in the admin topic has been closed. Why the f**k is this so sensitive? Should I take his name out my posts on here? Is a couple of gangsters gonnae brake ma thumbs?