Walking Down The Halbeath Road

AJ has a good habit of getting more out of average players than other managers. McManus, Wedderburn, Mvoto, Vincent and Robinson to name a few. I've no idea about the Long ridge brothers but I'm sure they'll be decent at worst.
Leaving a space alludes to a L&H classic song lyric. Bit difficult to complete given we've not seen them play together yet.

We have the Long Ridge Brothers at Dunfermline... 

Have a stab if you want.

1 minute ago, DeeBairn said:
6 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:
Well, I'm convinced Falkirk fans are not bothered by losing Longridge. Glad they were able to clear that up. 

Glad we could finally clear that up for you.

Thanks. Posts containing many, many paragraphs are always the sure sign of not being bothered. 

Thanks. Posts containing many, many paragraphs are always the sure sign of not being bothered. 
Well, wouldn't want to be brief and get accused of being bitter. Let's keep that shite chat in the Livi thread.

On 02/06/2018 at 19:33, Grant228 said:

My worry is that they're not, at least not decent enough to be title contenders. 

I'm actually quite wary that there's a good chance we won't make the playoffs. 

I'm not too concerned as it's only early June but we certainly need a lot of excellent additions to be a contender for top four.

24 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I'm not too concerned as it's only early June but we certainly need a lot of excellent additions to be a contender for top four.

My mood fluctuates, after the Beadling signing I had to check my passport would be in date for our European tilt in 2019.

35 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

My mood fluctuates, after the Beadling signing I had to check my passport would be in date for our European tilt in 2019.

Think AJ has *tried* to sort out the spine of the team first, which is logical. Explains why Robinson, Ashcroft and Beadling were among those signed up pronto. If you add Williamson, Martin and Jackson Longridge to that list, we're almost sorted at the back. If the much-rumoured Durnan signing comes through, then can't see many more defensive additions.

What's the score with Higgy, Nat and Joe? Very odd they've not been announced as either signing new deals or that they're leaving the club.

Up front is an issue. We spent actual, honest-to-goodness money on Andy Ryan, so he should at least be given a chance to replace Clark. Is Smith ready to be a regular up top? Or was Louis Longridge signed to be a striker, rather than a number 10 or wide man?

I think looking at the squad right now, Durnan is a good, solid defender at this level next to the best centre-back in the league, who is also still young and improving year on year. Got the best right-back in the league on one side and the first-choice left back prom the team that finished 2nd and got promoted last season.

We seem to have the best defense in the league on paper so absolutely fine going into this season with that.

Midfield is still a big question mark. Beadling in the middle next to Craigen is a solid pairing of a very good player next to a decent player. Who is on the wings for us next season will be very important. I would like to see us keep Higgy as I think he has a great partnership with Williamson and, with Beadling and a very solid looking defense and with Williamson coming on leaps and bounds defensively , I think he would be afforded more freedom and less defensive responsibility than he's had for the last couple of seasons. He's a very good player and has scored 16 goals in the last 2 seasons, chipping in with plenty assists too.

Left wing is the biggest area of concern just now for me, I, personally would be happy with Cardle as I still think he is an excellent player with 1 or 2 fantastic seasons left in him, tore Hearts up for arse paper at the start of last season. The only concern I have with him is keeping him fit, which means we'd need to have another winger who is good enough to potentially replace him for a significant amount of the season, but also happy enough to remain as a backup/rotation option if he stays. Because I don't think there is a player that is good enough to play first team AND happy to be a backup option, I feel we'll need to go and sign someone, most likely our biggest/most expensive signing this summer, or potentially a loan from The Premiership/England.

Up front it looks as if McManus will be moving on which is a massive loss imo, although it seems we've brought in Longridge as his replacement who seems to be similar to McManus but with a trade off of work rate for a bit more ability.

Then there's the other big question mark this summer, how do we replace Clark, or, de we even bother replacing him at all?
As I've said previously I think not bringing anyone in would be a massive risk as neither Smith or Ryan seem ready to step into the role as main goalscorer for a team trying to win promotion. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with either a.n. striker (proven goalscorer at this or similar level, guaranteed at least 15 goals type) or Faissal, because even if he was shite I'd be too busy giving him the eyes to care.

Next season looks as if we'll be lining up something like this:

Robinson

Williamson - new CB(Durnan?) - Ashcroft (c) - Longridge

Higginbotham/new RW - Craigen - Beadling - Cardle/new LW

Ryan/new ST - Longridge/McManus(if he stays)

To me, depending on who we bring in, that looks like a definite improvement on the team we started last season with and a side very experienced at this level. If we get a top quality winger in and a sexy new striker/faiss I'll be reading myself for next year's title party already.

Edited by TheMessiah

2 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

What's the score with Higgy, Nat and Joe? Very odd they've not been announced as either signing new deals or that they're leaving the club.

Cardle hasn't got back from holiday yet, I'd expect some news to come with regards to him within the next week or so. 

It's early days yet but if you add Higgy, Cardle, Durnan then that's a first team capable of challenging top half possibly top four.

Concerns about cover but AJ said 19 players capable of playing first team. I think we need McManus or another striker plus two or three central midfielders and a winger. Really need a decent second choice keeper if Murdoch is out for months.

I expect to see ten signings or resignings in the next two weeks.

On paper league looks like

United favourites 

County/Partick bigger budgets but unpredictable 

Us/Falkirk/Morton/ICT/QOTS established sides

Alloa/Ayr relegation favourites 

Bit of a lottery who makes it into the playoffs. Someone like QOTS with Harkins and Dobbie could either be brilliant or over the hill suddenly. ICT seem to be signing cheaper and less proven players, Morton will get a new manager bounce but it's a total rebuild, Falkirk can't be as pish again surely?

Definitely a tougher league than last season and four trips to the highlands to face teams we struggle against.

I would be happy with playoffs again, no chance of winning it.

Wonder if AJ is thinking of trying a 3-5-2/5-3-2? He tried the latter in a couple of friendlies last season which, IMO, didn’t work but that was with players like Talbot/Martin at LWB and Nat at CB but the options are now J.Longridge and the possibility of having four CB options if M’Voto and Durnan are signed.

We’re also better equipped in midfield to suit that formation. We had Paton and Splaine playing in the middle but now we have Craigen and Beadling to accompany Nat and maybe even Vincent.

However the fact we nearly had Aird signed up (who wouldn’t really fit into a 5-3-2/3-5-2). Signing Higgy and/or Cardle would indicate we’re probably sticking with a 4-4-2 or similar.