Walking Down The Halbeath Road

We did alright in the end considering we only turned up for the first and last months of the season.

11 more points than last season 
Championship's highest attendance - new counting system working wonders
Second most yellow cards 
Fewest goals against
Second highest scorers (only three fewer than the champions)
Second best goal difference (only two below the champions)
Second longest unbeaten run (ICT went 11, we're currently 10 games unbeaten)

Just too many draws in the middle of the season. 

McManus will get praise almost every week for the way he runs himself into the ground. When Clark, a typical poacher, is quiet (not scoring), he is mistaken for being a lazy shite and putting in no effort.

I don’t disagree with McManus winning POTY but that’s pretty much why he won the award. FWIW I couldn’t have grudged either of them the award.

Ashcroft a worthy winner as well.

24 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Williamson due a suspension anyway? Think he mentioned it post match on Saturday.  

Williamson’s suspension kicks in on Saturday so he would be suspended for the first leg of the Livi game should we make it.

Obviously injury may rule him out on Friday & Monday anyway.

Edited by Weegie Par

If Williamson, Ashcroft and M’Voto are all out, we’re left with a very disjointed back 4.

Aird - Morris - Martin - Talbot

We could really do with Beadling back in the team as well.

Playing Duthie at right back in the second leg feels like the 2018 equivalent to Chris Kane playing in right back at Firhill in 2012.

21 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

It's a crisis if Ashcroft, Williamson and M'voto can't play.

Still got Morris, Martin and Talbot. A makeshift right back (is Shiels fit?) and that’s not too terrible. Maybe bring in Nat to sit in front of them. 4-1-4-1, keep it tight at the back and rely on Clark to nick something. United are pretty toothless.

Still got Morris, Martin and Talbot. A makeshift right back (is Shiels fit?) and that’s not too terrible. Maybe bring in Nat to sit in front of them. 4-1-4-1, keep it tight at the back and rely on Clark to nick something. United are pretty toothless.

Shiels at RB? Not for me. Don’t see him as a RB at all. Most likely scenario would be Aird to RB, Cardle to left wing. Other than the obvious height difference, Aird’s strengths are fairly similar to Williamson’s (running down the wing, with the ball). For me, the only other option (and one I would not like) would be Wedderburn at CB, Martin at RB. Can’t throw a youngster like Duthie into this level of match - he struggled (and got sent off) against Arbroath earlier in the season. Not ready for this level of football.

I think we’ll miss Aird’s constant threat, if he’s moved to RB. Cardle hasn’t really performed since his injury in September, whereas Aird has been excellent for the last couple of months - including being our biggest threat last night.

Ideally, we need at least one of Ashcroft (should win an appeal), M’Voto, Beadling or Williamson available. Comfortable with McManus and Clark up front. McManus was causing their defenders problems all night.

Lack of cover is an issue though. In terms of first team players, if all of those that went off last night are unavailable, we’ll have the following:

Starting: Robinson, Aird, Morris, Martin, Talbot, Higginbotham, Vincent, Craigen, Cardle, McManus, Clark

Subs: Gill, Armstrong, Wedderburn

Obviously Duthie was on the bench on Tuesday as well, but I wouldn’t class him as ‘first team’.

My (vague) point is that the defence will be fine but it will likely come at the price of blunting the attack a bit (whether dropping back a more attacking player or playing a fringe guy or two and adding cover in front of them).