Walking Down The Halbeath Road

On ‎30‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 07:29, smpar said:

He's already scored more than Reilly managed last season and we're no even into August.

By all accounts wee Gav's already scored more for St Mirren this season than he did for you lot last, strange that eh? :lol:

Couldn't really care.

Anyway, I want to mention Williamson. He was terrific on Saturday and defended superbly, he's clearly been working on that side of his game. He'll still have poor games from time to time but I'm feeling more confident of him there.

Despite the big clear-out of players and very few signings we really don't look in too bad shape. The smaller squad has forced AJ to be a bit more creative. Lochhead and Smith look perfectly comfortable coming in to the first team. I said when we re-signed Paton that AJ should look at him as a midfielder and again he looks comfortable there. Last season was a washout for Cardle but he can score against anyone - what a player when he's on form. I think Williamson has better delivery and decision-making than McMullan in advanced areas (ie he is calmer and can pick out a cross or simple cutback). 

41 minutes ago, Hawk said:

By all accounts wee Gav's already scored more for St Mirren this season than he did for you lot last, strange that eh? :lol:

No, it's not strange. He was shite, therefore didn't score. 

How is Paisley Gav?

I'm pleased that McManus is showing some goalscoring form. It's all very positive in that respect.

But...

His utterly glorious lob aside, the other two goals have been more hit-and-hope-straight-down-the-middle strikes than refined, composed, calculated finishes.

Another day and they'd have been blocked or saved, especially the one against Hearts. I thought he got away with a poor initial touch and a wee bit of dithering.

However, his all round play has been good and a goal is a goal, so I'm still more than happy with him and the team. He should score a good few more.

2 minutes ago, Astro said:

I'm pleased that McManus is showing some goalscoring form. It's all very positive in that respect.

But...

His utterly glorious lob aside, the other two goals have been more hit-and-hope-straight-down-the-middle strikes than refined, composed, calculated finishes.

Another day and they'd have been blocked or saved, especially the one against Hearts. I thought he got away with a poor initial touch and a wee bit of dithering.

However, his all round play has been good and a goal is a goal, so I'm still more than happy with him and the team. He should score a good few more.

But they weren't saved or blocked. And the Hearts goal was pretty composed. He didn't panic or rush, he knew what he was doing.

It seems like you're desperately trying to find a negative here.

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

But they weren't saved or blocked. And the Hearts goal was pretty composed. He didn't panic or rush, he knew what he was doing.

It seems like you're desperately trying to find a negative here.

I dont think you can argue that his goal against Hearts was composed. I've explained why I think it wasn't.

I'm not looking for a negative, more that it was right in front of my eyes. 

That said, I think any lack of composure he's showed is perhaps a result of his poor season with the Rovers. They were utterly dire, which was the biggest reason. His goals will bring confidence. With confidence I think he will show us what he can really do.

You definitely can argue his goal against Hearts was composed, killed the ball, shifted it out his feet, touch to get a better angle and composure to keep it hard and low.

The ball from Smith wasn't great, a lack of composure would've been to hit it first time, probably high and wide.

5 minutes ago, Astro said:

I dont think you can argue that his goal against Hearts was composed. I've explained why I think it wasn't.

I'm not looking for a negative, more that it was right in front of my eyes. 

That said, I think any lack of composure he's showed is perhaps a result of his poor season with the Rovers. They were utterly dire, which was the biggest reason. His goals will bring confidence. With confidence I think he will show us what he can really do.

You can and I do. I've explained why.

2 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

You definitely can argue his goal against Hearts was composed, killed the ball, shifted it out his feet, touch to get a better angle and composure to keep it hard and low.

The ball from Smith wasn't great, a lack of composure would've been to hit it first time, probably high and wide.

Agree with this

Moffat has to be one of the worst strikers of the ball I've seen for Dunfermline, I liked him as a player but he couldn't shoot. He certainly wouldn't have finished the chance that McManus did against Hearts.The ball from Smith wasn't great and neither was McManus's first touch, however the rest was perfect after he composed himself with the shuffle to get it out from under his feet.

Moffat was a very enjoyable player to watch at times, but you could make an entire "football f**k-ups" DVD showing entirely Michael Moffat missing sitters.