Walking Down The Halbeath Road

12 hours ago, parsforlife said:

If Celtic have offered him a deal of equal value to the one he was on you guys will be due them cash(a fair bit as well I'd think, he's been there a while)

Maybe they didn't, but given you have had your fingers burnt with Casalinuovo and Telfer I'm not sure insisting there absolutely will be no fee is sensible.

I've no idea whether there was a fee. Maybe there was, maybe there wasn't. If McMullan was deemed surplus to requirements then Celtic may have been happy enough to simply let him go provided United picked up his wages. Or maybe the clubs have agreed that Celtic will get a percentage of any future sale. As I say, I've no idea - I was simply answering the chap who asked the question that there has been no reference to any fee.

Maybe McCann saw something we didn't when he was coaching him at Dunfermline

He must have seen something quite a lot of us didn't see. But then again, McCann did help take us to 7th in League One so I'll reserve judgement until Spence has had a full season at Dundee. He may turn into a brilliant player, however, from what I have seen he will end up playing his trade at a lower level than the Scottish Championship.

Has Michael Paton resigned for you for next season.
Played in the Derek Lyle test. still looks a decent player.
Best player on the park was Allan Johnston forgot how good a player he was 

He hasn't, has been offered a contract but is keeping his options open. Played the last game of last season at left back against QoTS.

I can't remember ever watching AJ play, he looks like he had a cracking career though.

1 hour ago, Northfield 53 said:

Has Michael Paton resigned for you for next season.

Played in the Derek Lyle test. still looks a decent player.

Best player on the park was Allan Johnston forgot how good a player he was 

Allan Johnston was outstanding. Paul Burns was terrific for us too and McKenna bossed the centre of the park while he was on. 

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

He hasn't, has been offered a contract but is keeping his options open. Played the last game of last season at left back against QoTS.

I can't remember ever watching AJ play, he looks like he had a cracking career though.

Not really. Scored a hat-trick against Rangers very early and then did very little else for the rest of his career. A classic waster who failed to fulfil his obvious talent.

38 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Not really. Scored a hat-trick against Rangers very early and then did very little else for the rest of his career. A classic waster who failed to fulfil his obvious talent.

Very little else?

He didnt make his full potential undeniably, mainly due to injury, but he played for Scotland, Hearts, Rangers, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Rennes, Kilmarnock and had a very good career. It could have been better but he's not remotely a "waster".

8 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Very little else?

He didnt make his full potential undeniably, mainly due to injury, but he played for Scotland, Hearts, Rangers, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Rennes, Kilmarnock and had a very good career. It could have been better but he's not remotely a "waster".

He did okay with Sunderland and played one season in the Premiership with them. Apart from that he played 22 games with Rennes. 17 games in three years at Boro, 14 games with Rangers. 

No doubt he's well regarded down Dumfries way but 115 games with Kilmarnock and 61 for QOS hardly speaks of a top quality player. Certainly not the standard of player that he threatened to be as a teenager at Hearts.

3 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

He did okay with Sunderland and played one season in the Premiership with them. Apart from that he played 22 games with Rennes. 17 games in three years at Boro, 14 games with Rangers. 

No doubt he's well regarded down Dumfries way but 115 games with Kilmarnock and 61 for QOS hardly speaks of a top quality player. Certainly not the standard of player that he threatened to be as a teenager at Hearts.

3 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

His career stats hardly scream "classic waster" either......

This.

Nobody is claiming Johnston reached the heights he potentially could have but he still had a career most players could only dream of, represented his country and played into his late 30s. Not remotely any reasonable definition of a "classic waster".