Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Terrific servant for the club. Most likely wants to play midfield and I just couldn't see him doing a job for us there for the upcoming season especially if the aim is to be even higher. 
I guess this means we lose the rights to The Andy Geggan Appreciation Thread and it'll go down to League 1 with Ayr to get some new memories out of him. Wish him all the best and at least he's got his pal Moff with him.

Unfortunately while he's a terrific signing and I'm very excited to see him back, I think McCall has said he'll start the season at right back to see how he gets on.

Seems a waste of his talents to me.

3 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Unfortunately while he's a terrific signing and I'm very excited to see him back, I think McCall has said he'll start the season at right back to see how he gets on.

Seems a waste of his talents to me.

Yeah that does seem a waste, as a box-to-box midfielder he'd stroll League 1. Tbf once he get settled in at right back I don't think he did much, if anything wrong at all. Seem him get a lot of stick at the games when he started back there but tbh that area of the pitch was unplayable as the surface was so bad so it's not his fault the ball was doing the most ridiculous bounces past him.

Geggan is fine at right-back if you're looking for a no nonsense guy to keep things ticking along without any major calamity.

But if you're looking to dominate the majority of your games, as Ayr must be looking to do, he can't be played anywhere other than midfield, not only is it a tragic waste of his talents but it also means you miss out and a full-back with a bit of attacking prowess.

Geggan is fine at right-back if you're looking for a no nonsense guy to keep things ticking along without any major calamity.
But if you're looking to dominate the majority of your games, as Ayr must be looking to do, he can't be played anywhere other than midfield, not only is it a tragic waste of his talents but it also means you miss out and a full-back with a bit of attacking prowess.

He's potentially a better defensive RB than we had with Devlin. Devlin's positioning was awful and his bombing runs forward left us short at the back. With Geggan we'll be much more solid at the back.

In terms of having a player to dominate games, Docherty did that pretty will until his injury two seasons ago and Cairney had a similar effect at Stranraer.

What I imagined Geggan being signed for was someone to break up the play and do the dirty work for the team. This is normally Adams job but he can't be relied on due to his injury proneness.

He'll be tested at RB but I'm hoping it doesn't work at gets a starting spot in our midfield.

He's potentially a better defensive RB than we had with Devlin. Devlin's positioning was awful and his bombing runs forward left us short at the back. With Geggan we'll be much more solid at the back.

In terms of having a player to dominate games, Docherty did that pretty will until his injury two seasons ago and Cairney had a similar effect at Stranraer.

What I imagined Geggan being signed for was someone to break up the play and do the dirty work for the team. This is normally Adams job but he can't be relied on due to his injury proneness.

He'll be tested at RB but I'm hoping it doesn't work at gets a starting spot in our midfield.

It just all seems a bit backwards from Ayr tbh, going full-time, shoring up the defense and resigning Geggan and Moff should surely have come after promotion to the championship, not after relegation from it?

It just all seems a bit backwards from Ayr tbh, going full-time, shoring up the defense and resigning Geggan and Moff should surely have come after promotion to the championship, not after relegation from it?

That's what just about Ayr fan is thinking right now. The squad we've got now is already better than the one we had last year. I can't help but feel if we had even just signed Moffat last year we would have probably stayed up.

I never thought we'd go full time last year and I definitely never thought in a million years we'd do just after getting relegated. Fair play to McCall for getting it done and better late than never but there's a part of me that wishes we'd done it 12 months ago.

That's what just about Ayr fan is thinking right now. The squad we've got now is already better than the one we had last year. I can't help but feel if we had even just signed Moffat last year we would have probably stayed up.

I never thought we'd go full time last year and I definitely never thought in a million years we'd do just after getting relegated. Fair play to McCall for getting it done and better late than never but there's a part of me that wishes we'd done it 12 months ago.

I get the feeling McCall wanted this at the start of the season but your board thought they'd give PT a go at championship, hoping to 'do a Dumbarton' they have found that too difficult and have now decided to take the leap, treating next year as a transition, with established championship football coming soon.

Sounds great eh?

I get the feeling McCall wanted this at the start of the season but your board thought they'd give PT a go at championship, hoping to 'do a Dumbarton' they have found that too difficult and have now decided to take the leap, treating next year as a transition, with established championship football coming soon.

Sounds great eh?

The way their going it seems like they're banking on getting promoted. Hopefully they do because otherwise they could be in serious shit.

No further news on Paton and McCabe at the moment, is it wrong to assume they're mulling over new deals being offered?

Similar to Geggan, they maybe won't get many other offers at FT clubs. Looks like AJ has the core of the squad signed up and the rest are in some kind of 'meh' pile.

16 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Sounds great eh?

Other way about. The board wanted to go FT this season but McCall was the one that vetoed it to stay part time.

Personally would see top 4 as a success, promotion or not. Obviously circumstances would dictate if it would be a good finish or not but for me, top 4. It's all about improving... However there's a great opportunity there to make a push.