Walking Down The Halbeath Road

To be honest, Geggan leaving is/would be a bit bittersweet. It's going to be heartbreaking to see him go for obvious reasons, but AJ's ruthlessness is showing once more; he's keeping the core of quality players we have and building around that, and if it means letting go of popular figures like Geggan then so be it. AJ mustn't see him as anything more than an average squad player, if he did he would have signed that extension by now.

Renton would be a good signing for a League 1 side. He's better than people here are giving him credit for -   I can see him at Alloa or Raith possibly next season.  It'll be a miracle if he's still with us and I'll be even more surprised if he ends up at Dunfermline!

Just waiting for Wasps1 to come along and tell us that Geggan stayed the night in McCall's spare room (no euph) last night and then we'll know he's signing a 3 year deal with Dunfermline.

Geggan does best when given a very tight role. I think he seems himself as Zinedine Zideggs and wants to be strutting all over the park but he has been best for us doing the dirty work in midfield last season and then later this season just finished at RB. I really like him though - a proper character who has stuck with us through admin, relegation, League One misery, joy and then did us a real turn in the end last season. I'd understand if AJ didn't re-sign him as I just don't see him as being any better than a mid table Championship player.

He was disastrous early this season when roaming midfield and also under Potter, when like Falkingham he was charging all over the pitch. If we punt Potter to take over at Raith and sign that striker for Airdrie we've basically handed Ayr next year's League One title.

Edited by Shandon Par

15 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

Renton would be a good signing for a League 1 side. He's better than people here are giving him credit for -   I can see him at Alloa or Raith possibly next season.  It'll be a miracle if he's still with us and I'll be even more surprised if he ends up at Dunfermline!

Me and you can be the official "Renton is not dross like most of the Cowden team" fan club. He's not a miracle worker and can't do much with aimless balls punted up the park with no team mates within 50 yards to help him but he makes controlling the ball and finding a pass under pressure a piece of piss and uses his wide arse to knock defenders about.

5 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Me and you can be the official "Renton is not dross like most of the Cowden team" fan club. He's not a miracle worker and can't do much with aimless balls punted up the park with no team mates within 50 yards to help him but he makes controlling the ball and finding a pass under pressure a piece of piss and uses his wide arse to knock defenders about.

He's our most important player.  If Dunfermline were to be after anybody in our team it would be Jamie Sneddon.  He's the only player in our team capable of playing at this level.

Geggan does best when given a very tight role. I think he seems himself as Zinedine Zideggs and wants to be strutting all over the park but he has been best for us doing the dirty work in midfield last season and then later this season just finished at RB. I really like him though - a proper character who has stuck with us through admin, relegation, League One misery, joy and then did us a real turn in the end last season. I'd understand if AJ didn't re-sign him as I just don't see him as being any better than a mid table Championship player.
He was disastrous early this season when roaming midfield and also under Potter, when like Falkingham he was charging all over the pitch. If we punt Potter to take over at Raith and sign that striker for Airdrie we've basically handed Ayr next year's League One title.

I'm sure even with your help we'd still find a way to f**k up the title race.

4 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

He's our most important player.  If Dunfermline were to be after anybody in our team it would be Jamie Sneddon.  He's the only player in our team capable of playing at this level.

I think we're going with our own decent young keeper, Gill, as backup next season. You'd never think Jamie was a youngster - plays like a grizzled old veteran.

All the best to Geggan at Ayr. Probably the right time for him to move on. Not good enough to play in our midfield, and we'd be better off with a more natural right back.

I'm sure he'll do really well for Ayr in League One. Certainly leaves with my best wishes.

In terms of nostalgia its a real shame he's away but let's be honest there was no way he was going to be a first team regular this season but he was only a handful from 200. However its one of our bigger wages taken away from the club to bring in a quality RB and replacement CM, all the best Geggan!

I would have liked to keep him but you can see why AJ has looked to improve here, I don't think we can offer him an automatic starting place and it's not like he's a youngster looking to break into the team.

Looks to me like AJ will be going for a strong first 11 having the rest of the squad made from guys on low wages

1 hour ago, TheMessiah said:

Geggan is a weird one, he absolutely strolls it in midfield in League 1 and looks a class above, but looks out of his depth in the Championship.

He's disastrous at RB in League 1 but looks solid there in the Champ.

Would love to see him stay though. Wouldn't seem right not being able to give him a fitting send off.

I think the answer is probably pace.  As much as he was well liked at Ayr, at championship level he was very one paced at times.  At right back he can probably use his experience to defend a particular area of the park.  Paddy Boyle is like that at Ayr - rated the best left back in the League 1 team of the year but lack of pace was badly exposed in the league above.  Personally I'd be disappointed if we've signed Geggan to play right back.

Terrific servant for the club. Most likely wants to play midfield and I just couldn't see him doing a job for us there for the upcoming season especially if the aim is to be even higher. 

I guess this means we lose the rights to The Andy Geggan Appreciation Thread and it'll go down to League 1 with Ayr to get some new memories out of him. Wish him all the best and at least he's got his pal Moff with him.