GAA.. All ireland finals

magee84

What's the connection to Kerry?

Not a dig, genuinely interested.

My dads family from there... then they stayed in belfast a few years.. came to Scotland when he was 16ish... met me ma... a few years later i appeared and now all you p&b regulars are reaping the benefits :P

My dads family from there... then they stayed in belfast a few years.. came to Scotland when he was 16ish... met me ma... a few years later i appeared and now all you p&b regulars are reaping the benefits :P

Fair enough.

Although I know hee haw about GAA and hurling I agree that the finals seem to be great events, not only does half the people in the counties involved seem to leave for Dublin but I've seen some great/close games.

I don't know if they're shite or I'm a jinx, but whenever I'm in Kildare over the summer the fuckers never seemed to be involved. My mum's told me her county Meath are quite good at one of them (can't mind which), I reckon she's full of shit.

Couldn't even tell you my dad's county, I get the impression those in Norn Iron don't give much of a f**k about all of this stuff.

Edit: Who knew, my dad is a Downy.

Edited by Guest

Fair enough.

Although I know hee haw about GAA and hurling I agree that the finals seem to be great events, not only does half the people in the counties involved seem to leave for Dublin but I've seen some great/close games.

I don't know if they're shite or I'm a jinx, but whenever I'm in Kildare over the summer the fuckers never seemed to be involved. My mum's told me her county Meath are quite good at one of them (can't mind which), I reckon she's full of shit.

Couldn't even tell you my dad's county, I get the impression those in Norn Iron don't give much of a f**k about all of this stuff.

Edit: Who knew, my dad is a Downy.

You're off the mark there Erin Go Bragh, GAA participation in Ulster is very strong and the counties carry big supports when they are going well. Ulster is as passionate a GAA province as any in Ireland. Certainly the Nationalist community are dominant in GAA in the North and it's more polarised there than in the 26 counties in that respect, but I'm glad to say there is more and more Protestant involvement.

What a poor crowd at Tip v Kerry .. i know the economic situation is still poor in ireland but on a day like this surely a better crowd than that would be expected ??

Especially with no Celtic game on :P

Any Claret and Amber teams in this?

Especially with no Celtic game on :P

Any Claret and Amber teams in this?

Nope sorry decky... lend your support to kerry as thats where my dads from... and if it werent for him coming to Scotland as a lad think how poor p&b would be without me...;)

Nope sorry decky... lend your support to kerry as thats where my dads from... and if it werent for him coming to Scotland as a lad think how poor p&b would be without me...;)

I shall now be supporting whoever Kery are playing.

I shall now be supporting whoever Kery are playing.

A wise policy, they are an arrogant shower who think they own the game and they are the worst moaners going when they lose.

Sean Cavanagh out for the summer with a shoulder injury. That pretty much finishes off any hopes Tyrone had of making progress into the late summer.

I'm on my phone Waspie so I can't post the link but you should pay a visit to the Hoganstand,I was reading a piece on it yesterday in which Mickey Harte seems to be saying he's going to try and get Dooher,Jordan and McGuigan to come back to help out because of the Red Hands injury crisis

Sean Cavanagh is a massive loss and its a shame for the man,comes across as one of the more likeable and down to earth players.Not many in his position would have turned down those AFL contracts to stay with Tyrone

I read a similar piece in the Indo, Caoimhin. He didn't quite say he was going to try and get anybody back, just that if it came down to Tyrone needing to bring extra players onto the panel then some of the recently retired players might be a potential option.

Personally I wouldn't go down that route. Dooher has given his all and his time is up. Jordan and McGinley are still easily good enough (and Hughes also could do a job still) but they all called time on their inter county careers and Tyrone are not short at half back or midfield anyway. The one I would consider is Brian McGuigan, he said last year he would have continued had he been allowed to come back to the panel in March/April but that Mickey wanted everybody signed up and committed in January. McGuigan last year was at his best since 2005 and he could come in and help out in the forwards.

However, even without Cavanagh, Coney, Ronan O'Neill and Tommy McGuigan you can still put out a forward division like the one below. If these guys get injured then throw in a few more of the kids, McKenna, Mathew Donnelly, McNiece etc. That's the way to go.

10.Ronan McNabb

11.Mark Donnelly

12.Joe McMahon

13.Martin Penrose

14.Stephen O'Neill

15.Owen Mulligan

I have sympathy for Mickey though, he had turned the panel around and had it all looking pretty good at the start of April but injuries are threatening to ruin the season. Bit like 2006. The fact that his daughter's murder trial has just started can only be a serious distraction as well. A really tough time for a really good man.

Hoganstand is reporting that McGuigan is back in training

Yup, posted on the Official Tyrone GAA Facebook this evening. Good option to have on the panel and even though he hasn't played inter county this year I would imagine his fitness will be at a decent level due to his involvement with Ardboe. One of my favourite Tyrone players and before the horrific leg and eye injuries I would have rated him as the finest playmaker of his generation. Even in 2008 when he was coming back from the injuries he came off the bench in the AI Final and everything went through him in the final 15 minutes, a period in which Tyrone outscored Kerry by 0-5 to 0-0 :D.

Edited by Waspie

He was tailor made for Hartes system alright and I'm sure he'll be a starter for the Championship

Shockin g crowd for the Jacks against Louth,less than 32 thousand at Croke Park to watch them begin their defence of Sam

Was at Croker for this one, first taste of it for my parents as well who were visiting for the weekend. Walk in the park for the Dubs with next to nothing offered by Louth, the bulk of their scoring coming soft frees. Think the ref was feeling sorry for them in some stages! Between the weather and the holiday weekend the attendance was affected. Harder tests ahead for Dublin in Leinster.

Only Kildare could challenge them in Leinster I'd say,still thought Louth would give a better account of themselves

Central council really should have dropped ticket prices this year,its asking too much for people to take the family to a game with aatickets set at 40 euro

Hope your parents enjoyed it,shame they couldnt have gotten over for a better game

They certainly did mate, only previous GAA experience for them was many moons ago whe Channel 4 had the highlights so seeing a game live was magic. Kildare do seem fancied in not only Leinster but for the All Ireland, could be special if they meet.

Some big games this weekend with Sligo probably the biggest story with their 2-14 to 0-15 win over Galway. Great win for them and hopefully they go on and win Connaught, I felt sorry for them a couple of years back when they beat Mayo and Galway then lost to Roscommon the final.

Big win for Cork also over Kerry and hard to see them having many problems against Clare in the Munster final. The RTE pundits all wrote off Kerry after the game today but if they can get a head of steam up in the qualifiers then I could still see them being very dangerous later in the summer.

I was relieved in the end to see Tyrone get past Armagh by 0-19 to 1-13. A good game it must be said after all the abuse the Ulster Championship has taken. First half was encouraging for Tyrone but they got bogged down in the second period and when Armagh pulled level with 5 mins to go I was sh*tting myself. Fair play though, Petey Harte and Stevie O'Neill came up with 3 big scores when it mattered. A lot of work to be done but a good win for Tyrone.

Other one that caught my eye was Carlow coming back to draw with Meath. Wonder will they come to regret that they didn't go on and win that one.