What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Went to see Halloween last night. I grew up loving the slasher genre with characters like Michael Myers, Freddy Krueger and Jason Voorhees. There isn’t many an original, adaption, remake or sequel of the genre I would largely criticise other than my opinion of Jackie Earle Haley not a patch on Robert Englund. Was always going to be hard though as Freddy is a huge character where the rest have a sense of mystery. 

Went into this with high expectations and I absolutely loved it. Myers is portrayed very well from when he first appears still in chains right up till the end. He is just pure evil. There is also a theme of people trying to understand his motives and get him to talk. Its so intriguing he is a character I absolutely love. There are a few stupid decisions from various characters that you get in most films but I’ve been waiting for so long to see some slasher films back and get away from the supernatural stuff i find tediously repetitive. 

As I've said on here before I have such a varied taste from the majority of you as I am very easy pleased. Apologies in advance if you go see this and find it pish but to me it was a throwback to nostalgia and couldn’t rate it highly enough

40 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Deadpool 2

9/10
I'm not in any way a fan of any superhero stuff but this was (surprisingly, as I knew nothing about it in advance) very, very funny.

Anyone know if the original is on Netflix?

It was until recently, but seems to have been taken off now.

Deadpool 2

9/10
I'm not in any way a fan of any superhero stuff but this was (surprisingly, as I knew nothing about it in advance) very, very funny.

i recorded tge first one on channel 4 recently so keep your eyes open for it as they repeat regularly

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

Deadpool 2

9/10

Fire down to your local CeX and get it for a couple of quid.

It's very funny and if you liked the second you'll like the first.

The Boy and the Beast

Animated film I'd never heard of about a boy who is adopted by a beastman and becomes a kendo practionier. Pretty decent and some of the animation is top notch, especially the whale transformation scenes by the antagonist. 

8/10

The 1517 to paris

4/10

Needless true story about 3 yanks stopping a terroist on a train. The real life hero's play themselves which is the most scariest thing about the film. They can't act . All the action takes place about 5mins before the end of the film .rubbish

First man.  8/10

I love films like this.  Things like the right stuff or the Martian are right up my street.  I've a few criticisms though.  I don't think Armstrong was as cold as he was portrayed and Buzz Aldrin comes off as a total dick, whereas he is only a bit of a dick.  

Bad Times at the El Royale (2018)
Looking back on this is like Bart Simpson looking back at Ralph's heartbreak; you can pinpoint the exact moment when it breaks.
I agree with GrahamJags about the first half being tremendous. I loved the tone, the structure, the characters, almost everything.
My issue was that there was no pay-off. Once everyone was set-up, I was genuinely excited to see where it went.
Then Thor bursts in with the cult from Martha Marcy May Marlene. As soon as Rose got her flashback, I was bored. It wasn't the length, it was that it felt like a different film to what came before.
What a disappointment.

18 hours ago, Lofarl said:

First man.  8/10

I love films like this.  Things like the right stuff or the Martian are right up my street.  I've a few criticisms though.  I don't think Armstrong was as cold as he was portrayed and Buzz Aldrin comes off as a total dick, whereas he is only a bit of a dick.  

Yeah, The Armstrong-Aldrin relationship was a bit off. They went out of their way to make it antagonistic, but don't give you pay off for it. One minute Aldrin is verbally sticking his foot in it, the next they are on the crew together. There is no denouement to that relationship, and funnily the movie doesn't actually make reference of the real tension between the two men going into the mission, which centred on who got out first. Aldrin citing precedent from Gemini believed the Co-pilot should lead on EVA, allowing the commander to concentrate on flying. Very few people agreed with him.

It did feel like the movie was missing a scene where Armstrong, though in no way personally reconciled to Aldrin, develops some form of grudging respect to Aldrin's own obsessive drive, intelligence and desire to get the job done. Something just to pay off the conflict set up.

Edited by renton

On 10/17/2018 at 23:03, Christophe said:

(170- 172)

The Death and Resurrection Show 7/10

If this isn’t the single best biopic of a band ever committed then I hate music. I don’t know if there are any other Killing Joke fans on here but those with an interest in a band that have lasted 40 years then it’s an amazing watch. Almost sure there’s no one else here with an interest in the occult either but I highly recommend the film. It’s long but it’s incredible. Completely in pieces after watching it. Something else. It’s in full on YT. I’m not sure a band has ever meant as much to me as The Joke does. Objective head on to take points off for running time and not being a particularly huge fan of the genre but my heart would have given it a bigger score. 

Where did you see it Christophe? I'm going to see them for the 10th time at the Barras next month.

ETA...doh..."YT" obviously means YouTube.

Edited by Arch Stanton

4 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Where did you see it Christophe? I'm going to see them for the 10th time at the Barras next month.

ETA...doh..."YT" obviously means YouTube.

In an act of complete selfishness some c***s have invited me to a wedding on the Barras date, so I’ve booked to go see the Oxford show instead. Somewhere new for me, and a Friday night to boot! Good times.

15 minutes ago, Christophe said:

In an act of complete selfishness some c***s have invited me to a wedding on the Barras date, so I’ve booked to go see the Oxford show instead. Somewhere new for me, and a Friday night to boot! Good times.

I searched for TDARS on youtube, has it been taken down already? Do you have a link?

2 hours ago, Christophe said:

Just finished watching it. I was lucky enough to be a (young!) adult when the original album was released in 1980 and have been into them right from the start. While I knew Jaz and Paul (to  a lesser extent) were right into the spiritual stuff, it was a surprise to learn that Geordie was too.

The first 5 albums are all tremendous...things started to slide from BTATS onwards because they really did want to build on the success of A Love Like Blood and crack the charts. Outside the Gate was nothing other than a Jaz vanity project which Geordie went along with. 

I was lucky enough to talk to Raven for about 5 minutes after a gig at The Garage, he was a funny and approachable bloke.

I'm sure there are only 2 occasions they've played Glasgow and I've missed them (they supported Motley Crue at the SEC!) and 3 years ago when they played the ABC and am really looking forward to seeing them again 2 weeks tomorrow!