What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The Man who Never Was (1956) on BBC2 yesterday.

Cracking WWII film based on the true story of how a dead body was floated ashore to Spain, carrying fake documents implying that the target for a forthcoming invasion was somewhere other than the actual one, leading to the Germans strengthening their defences in the wrong place.

The second half of the film, with the Irish spy trying to establish whether 'Major Martin' was real or not, is totally fictional but a tense ending nonetheless. 

12 hours ago, patriot1 said:

I watched Let The Right One In for the second time and still think it's fantastic.

It's the most touching horror film I've ever seen.

Yeah, it's great.

Have you (or anyone else) seen the American remake? If so, is it worth watching? 

46 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Yeah, it's great.

Have you (or anyone else) seen the American remake? If so, is it worth watching? 

I've heard good things about it but I object to Hollywood remaking great foreign films to accommodate those who are too lazy to read subtitles.

Let The Right One In should have had a much wider release in the US instead.

Tunes of Glory (1960)

In the immediate post war years Alec Guinness, a hard drinking, popular officer, who commanded from “El Alamein to Cassino and from Normandy to Berlin” is replaced as commanding officer of his regiment by John Mill, Eton and Oxford educated and a man who spent the 30s in Whitehall and the war in a Japanese POW camp, a stickler for the rules and gentlemanly conduct. They don’t get off on the right foot and it descends from there. Raises interesting questions about loyalty and who did what (or contributed the most) in the war. I found myself having a lot of sympathy for both characters.

Of it’s era and some dodgy accents.

8/10

Mission Impossible - Fallout

Was looking forward to this but thought it was disappointing. Didn’t really care about any of the characters and it is at least 20 minutes too long. Some of the action scenes in last half hour are impressive but felt like it has been seen before.

5/10

On 7/23/2018 at 04:36, Crroma said:

Watched La La Land on Saturday night. Didn't enjoy it one bit. The opening song gave me instant vibes that it would be an alright experience at best and honestly the film peaked there and went downhill. Music numbers were completely forgettable and for a musical the audio mixing was atrocious. If the entire point of your film is to blend a story with songs then a good first step is to make your lyrics intelligible. The sets had a great look to them and Ryan Gosling playing piano is impressive but when even the lovely Emma Stone can't hold my attention then somebody fucked up. Run time was 40 minutes too long, despite Goslings musical ability his acting wasn't selling that he was as a down on his luck musician. I love musicals but this is just the usual Oscar w**k that Hollywood loses their shit for and then a norm on civie street comes along 2 years later and only sees garbage. Utter shite.

This is a good summary.
The singing were the parts I enjoyed least.

The camerawork, the jazz, Gosling's piano playing were good but the essence of the movie was the banter and relationship between Gosling and Emma Stone.
Once that hits the skids the movie turns to pish. Everything after the Griffith Observatory scene is pretty terrible.

It's maybe not shite but it could have been better.

2 hours ago, Saigon Raider said:

Mission Impossible - Fallout

Was looking forward to this but thought it was disappointing. Didn’t really care about any of the characters and it is at least 20 minutes too long. Some of the action scenes in last half hour are impressive but felt like it has been seen before.

5/10

I just saw in 4DX and thought it was bloody brilliant, it's just a big daft action movie and it's absolutely perfect for the 4DX experience. The obligatory motorcycle chase and the end sequence were amazing in those chairs, it's the closest you'll come to a 2.5 hour rollercoaster ride. 9/10.

15 hours ago, Tommy Nooka said:

I just saw in 4DX and thought it was bloody brilliant, it's just a big daft action movie and it's absolutely perfect for the 4DX experience. The obligatory motorcycle chase and the end sequence were amazing in those chairs, it's the closest you'll come to a 2.5 hour rollercoaster ride. 9/10.

From speaking to mates today it definitely feels that me and the wife and are in the minority by not really liking it.

Can't get over how creepy Tom Cruise actually is (maybe it is from watching Going Clear) - no need for White Widow to kiss him - he is probably 25 years older than her!! Not sure how many years he has got of doing movies like this although he is a fantastic runner!!!

Spoiler

Both of us looked at each other as the screen went white at the end and said "I hope he didn't make it"...

On 7/23/2018 at 12:36, Crroma said:

Watched La La Land on Saturday night. Didn't enjoy it one bit. The opening song gave me instant vibes that it would be an alright experience at best and honestly the film peaked there and went downhill. Music numbers were completely forgettable and for a musical the audio mixing was atrocious. If the entire point of your film is to blend a story with songs then a good first step is to make your lyrics intelligible. The sets had a great look to them and Ryan Gosling playing piano is impressive but when even the lovely Emma Stone can't hold my attention then somebody fucked up. Run time was 40 minutes too long, despite Goslings musical ability his acting wasn't selling that he was as a down on his luck musician. I love musicals but this is just the usual Oscar w**k that Hollywood loses their shit for and then a norm on civie street comes along 2 years later and only sees garbage. Utter shite.

16 hours ago, Cerberus said:

This is a good summary.
The singing were the parts I enjoyed least.

The camerawork, the jazz, Gosling's piano playing were good but the essence of the movie was the banter and relationship between Gosling and Emma Stone.
Once that hits the skids the movie turns to pish. Everything after the Griffith Observatory scene is pretty terrible.

It's maybe not shite but it could have been better.

The Wicker Man is usually as close to musicals as I'll get but I really liked La La Land. Felt like a good follow-on from Whiplash from the director and also reminded me quite a bit of Swingers. I'm probably not in a position to say what makes a good musical but I was sold on it and thought the scene at the pool party with Gosling angrily playing I Ran whilst scowling at Stone for enjoying it was one of the most memorable things I've seen. 

Edited by Shandon Par

7 minutes ago, Saigon Raider said:

From speaking to mates today it definitely feels that me and the wife and are in the minority by not really liking it.

Can't get over how creepy Tom Cruise actually is (maybe it is from watching Going Clear) - no need for White Widow to kiss him - he is probably 25 years older than her!! Not sure how many years he has got of doing movies like this although he is a fantastic runner!!!

Reveal hidden contents

Both of us looked at each other as the screen went white at the end and said "I hope he didn't make it"...

:lol:

I don't hold his mentalness against him, he's still a fine action hero but he is getting a bit old for these movies.

I still listen to Beck and he's one of those mentalists too but I draw the line at Travolta (shudder).