What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Transfomers: The Last Knight.

I've found something to enjoy in all the previous films.  Yes the quality varies and they're all pretty shite, but watchable.  This one is the first that I've actively disliked.  Baddie Optimus is a good idea, dropped almost instantly.  He's also in it for about 10 minutes.  Unicron!  except it's mentioned, then forgotten about until a tacked on bit at the end setting up a sequel that's unlikely to come.  There's also an overly sexualised 14 year old lassie in it that makes for very uncomfortable viewing.  Anthony Hopkins reads his lines like he's waiting for the cheque to clear and has no idea what is going on.  Which is funny, because neither did I.  It's like they cut half an hour of vital plot points and didn't bother filling in the gaps.

Awful. 2/10

Black Swan (2010):

After seeing this and a couple of his other films ('Requiem for a Dream' and 'mother!'), I feel that Darren Aronofsky is rather repetitive in his structure: the main character is introduced to something peculiar, s/he begins to slowly lose his/her mind before a bat-shit crazy final act. However, I do very much respect how much he manages to keep a handle on said final act. It all feels very deliberate, structured and, ultimately, very well directed. 

In the case of 'Black Swan', a lot of it feels very much like a ballet, not just because of the music, but the way that Natalie Portman glides across the set, the way that the lighting is bearing down on her face and it is frequently framed in a way that she is always the forefront and so much goes on in the background. There was a lot made of how much of 'mother!' had the camera clinging onto Jennifer Lawrence's face or over her shoulder, but it is very much the same here for Natalie Portman. I'm not sure how much of it is her in real-time or her face CG-ed onto a double, but if it's the former she does fantastically well in portraying her inner turmoil while performing arduous routines. 

I think it's weaved cleverly with its foreshadowing (mostly with the use of parallels with others) and symbolism, but that sadly comes to a head in a very on the nose way. Speaking of which, the ending does follow a similar path to 'mother!' in that it can get a bit too ridiculous, but I respect how Aronofsky ultimately manages to keep a handle on it, although 'Black Swan' makes more dramatic and thematic sense and is actually saying something. 

Unsane -- Passable psychological thriller from Steven Soderbergh in which a woman is tricked into committing herself into a mental hospital. She'd had a stalker in previous years and when she sees him working in the hospital, we're left wondering if she really is mad. Claire Foy out of off of The Crown is the lead and she's very good. The storyline, as has been the case quite frequently recently, doesn't stand up to too much scrutiny, and after 50 or so minutes of Matt Damon free viewing, when Matt Damon inexplicably shows up, it's difficult not to spend the next ten minutes wondering why Matt Damon is in this movie, and the next 50 minutes wondering if he's going to show up again. Spoiler: He doesn't. Oh, and it was filmed on an iPhone, so cue lots of weird camera angles. It was okay. It was fine. 6/10

Mark Felt: The Man Who Brought Down The White House - 2/10 (cinema)

Liam Neeson acts all Liam Neeson-y in the true story of Mark Felt, the FBI agent who helped expose the Watergate scandal. It's an absolute slog to watch, and the dialogue is poor, which is suicide for a film which relies so heavily on it. 

Mark Felt: The Man Who Brought Down The White House - 2/10 (cinema)
Liam Neeson acts all Liam Neeson-y in the true story of Mark Felt, the FBI agent who helped expose the Watergate scandal. It's an absolute slog to watch, and the dialogue is poor, which is suicide for a film which relies so heavily on it. 

Also: All The President’s Men tells the same story much more interestingly, albeit from a different point of view.

(47-48)

Defiance 9/10

Excellent but draining. A great “what would I have done” film. Tough people. (iplayer)

The Lair of the White Worm 6/10

Ridiculous/campy, but ultimately enjoyable Ken Russell folk horror. Do you want to see Malcolm Tucker wearing a sporran in a face off against the rancor handler armed with nothing but a set of bagpipes? Then this is the film for you. (Amazon Shudder)

(49)

Pacific Rim 2: Rim Harder 4/10

Probably the second best film in the Pacific Rim universe. It rattles along at such a frenetic pace that you don’t even notice that nothing makes any sense, Charlie Day gives it the full Charlie Kelly and John Boi-Jaeger continues to impress with his charisma and enthusiasm. The mini-Jaeger is also pretty cool! (cinema)

Edited by Christophe

Pacific Rim is a strange one. I've been in a room with it on, my eyes were pointed at the film for the duration, I wasnt asleep or on drugs or anything but at no point could I describe myself as having watched it

(49)
Pacific Rim 2: Rim Harder 4/10
Probably the second best film in the Pacific Rim universe. It rattles along at such a frenetic pace that you don’t even notice that nothing makes any sense, Charlie Day gives it the full Charlie Kelly and John Boi-Jaeger continues to impress with his charisma and enthusiasm. The mini-Jaeger is also pretty cool! (cinema)

Sums it up well, first film had Del Toros charm to it while this was just standard action sequel. Also felt like they were trying to rush through too many stories in the first half to get ready for the big fight scenes .