What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Get Out 7.5/10

Black guy goes to meet his white girlfriend parents for the first time way out in the middle of nowhere. Things start getting creepy very quickly and it escalates from there. Enjoyed this quite a bit despite reading some awful reviews regarding the racial undertones

Who Can Kill a Child? ( Shudder )

Spanish horror from the 70s. A couple head to a small island which seems deserted, apart from the children. You can probably guess how it works from there. It's an effectively creepy movie. The opening credits are outstanding, giving a general lay of the land as well as providing some fairly chilling moments before the movie even gets going. There's some right dodgy acting in it but can't really take away from how good the movie is regardless. No real reliance on gore or cheap scares and aims purely to ratchet up the tension and make you fear for how things will turn out. The final act is pretty great too. Big fan of this.

8/10

20 hours ago, Christophe said:

(11)

Napoleon 10/10

Restored version of Gance’s classic on the big screen. Fookin’ amazin’ film, 10 on 10 no doubt. (cinema)

Saw it when it had first been restored at the National in London with a full orchestra. Powerful stuff.

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Saw it when it had first been restored at the National in London with a full orchestra. Powerful stuff.

That’d have been phenomenal. How did they screen it with the orchestra? Full nigh on 6 hours in a oner?

I seen it over two nights, but seen it advertised in one day previously with a few breaks as well. 

Edited by Christophe

8 minutes ago, Christophe said:

That’d have been phenomenal. How did they screen it with the orchestra? Full nigh on 6 hours in a oner?

I seen it over two nights, but seen it advertised in one day previously with a few breaks as well. 

It was ages ago but I think they had 2 lengthy intervals.

Three Billboards..

Cineworld. Cup of tea. Roll and sausage.

Worthwhile trip to the cinema.  I never saw Seven Psychopaths but this felt like a natural succcessor to In Bruges. Really funny but really sad.  Sam Rockwell stole the show. 

8.5/10

Edited by Shandon Par

My 2018 resolution is to watch more movies. Recently treated myself to a projection system after years of wanting a home cinema, so plan to get though a fairly lengthy list of DVDs and blu-rays and make some inroads into sizeable Netflix / Amazon watchlists over the next few months. 

Darkest Hour 7/10 (cinema)

Enjoyable film with excellent performances from Gary Oldman as Churchill and Stephen Dillane as Halifax, and was pleased to see Lily James again after enjoying her role in Baby Driver.  

Spoiler

It played fast and loose with the history, which comes with the territory in historical movie adaptions (Churchill didn’t in fact offer up the Calais garrison as a sacrificial lamb in the calculating manner suggested, and towards the end Chamberlain’s position became more nuanced than depicted here - the appeaser eventually became broadly supportive of Churchill’s uncompromising attitude towards the Germans). The film almost fell apart with the risible tube scene, (Churchill shaped rather than followed the national mood) and the classically-educated poetry-spouting member of the solid working classes seemed tokenistic.

Nonetheless, an enjoyable, if slightly overrated, film.

Molly’s Game 8/10 (cinema)

Big Aaron Sorkin fan, loved The West Wing, The Social Network, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (though I thought The Newsroom was a rare misstep) and really enjoyed this, his directorial debut. Jessica Chastain is excellent, as is Idris Elba, and Michael Cera, who had a great cameo in Twin Peaks: The Return, was good too.

Spoiler

More dramatic licence, as Elba’s character Charlie conferred on the 'poor people bagels' subplot a race relations dimension (seemingly de rigueur in Hollywood these days) that is nowhere to be found in the book (Molly Bloom's defence lawyer, Jim Walden, is a white guy). That minor gripe apart, really enjoyed this movie.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri 9/10 (cinema)

This was great. In Bruges was excellentbut I thought Seven Psycopaths was derivative rubbish, so a welcome return to form from Martin McDonagh. Frances McDormand was superb, as ever - one of the best actresses around.

Spoiler

Sam Rockwell put in a stellar performance as a Officer Dixon, a weasel-faced, racist, homophobic, violent, thoroughly unlikeable character who you almost end up rooting for in the end. Loved how skilfully McDonagh set up Dixon’s redemptive arc, then sabotaged it completely. The film continually subverted expectations: characters initially set up as sympathetic protagonists or dislikable antagonists gradually revealed unexpected hidden depths, all equally scarred by fate, marking them all out as deeply flawed people at the mercy of cruel circumstance. The ending was satisfyingly ambivalent.

Edited by Frankie S

(12-13)

Born Strong 7/10

A doc on power lifters competing in the Arnalds. A chap from Stoke on Trent takes part, and he’s good. They almost all talk about force feeding just to keep up the carbs/weight. 6-8 meals a day. Imagine when food becomes a chore. Pretty good balance of doc and entertainment. It’s on Netflix if you even lift.

Yr Name 9/10

Really fantastic movie. (Online stream)

Edited by Christophe

Small Town Crime ( illegally got )

Apparently this has a worldwide Netflix distribution. When it appears, I'd strongly suggest that you watch it. It's about a former cop ( John Hawkes ) who comes across a dead body at the side of the road and tries to find out who killed her, in a bit of a redemption story, as well as a good mystery story as well. It's a cracking wee movie which deserves to be seen.

9/10

Frankenstein (1931):

While the narrative was pretty flimsy, there was certainly enough in it to appreciate.

The problem I had with the story is that it tried to play loose and slow for the most part, but it occasionally realised that they had to have stuff happen every so often so squeezed in beats and character which as distractingly sudden. The wedding at the end, in particular, seemed included simply add manufactured dramatic weight to the climax. Dramatically, it's probably at its peak at the beginning when the mystery of Frankenstein's plan is slowly unravelling as there is something pushing it all forward. 

A lot of this is due to Colin Clive (Frankenstein) being pushed to the fore in this opening scenes to set him up properly. He was incredible in portraying an ever-maddening man who is driven by his own ego and by being a self-proclaimed underdog. He is sudden and twitchy in almost everything he does in the film to give this impression of madness but also determination. His eyes only light up when focussing on his creation, and he shows contempt for everyone else. In fact, when his creature does something bad, he is only worried about his reputation as opposed to those affected. 

He plays into the creepy and strange world that is created by great set and sound design, culminating in a dark fairy tale.

Its depth is also pretty commendable, commenting on existentialism, playing God and what happens when you put someone else's life before your own. Almost every character in this is driven by someone else and their actions to the point that the focus of the film, Frankenstein's monster, is literally formed of many different people and commits murder due to having a "criminal" brain. 

Comparing it to the only other James Whale film I've seen, 'The Invisible Man', it almost seems the polar opposite. I thought that was well-written, funny and relies on its characters and story, but it is let down by some awful acting and lack of any atmosphere. 

Was going through the Covenant add-on for Kodi and was browsing for films by year, 1981 ,(year I was born)...

Blow Out , excellent De Palma written/directed thriller starring  JohnTravolta and Nancy Allen (reunited after Carrie) ;  Travolta provides sound effects for low budget movies and, whilst out recording, records and witnesses a car crashing into a river.  After playing back his tape he believes the crash was no accident but has a hard job convincing anyone. My only quibble is the ending which is a bit *sigh, really?*

Southern Comfort, a group of National Guards are on a training  exercise in the Louisiana bayou, all high spirits and blank ammo.  After splitting up, a small group come across a river and some locals have left some canoes which are purloined. Halfway across and the locals appear on the bank, one of the NG fires his machine gun blanks at the locals...except they don't know the bullets aren't live.

An allegory of the Vietnam war, it's well acted by Keith Carradine, Powers Boothe and Brion James and directed by Walter Hill (The Warriors).

The Greatest Showman - 8/10. (cinema)

Thought this looked shite, hence why I held off seeing it for so long, but after hearing so many people rave about it, I went to see it last night. Loved it. Hugh Jackman is fantastic, and the soundtrack is immense. Wouldn't be surprised if this gets adapted for the stage soon (if it hasn't already).

On 1/24/2018 at 16:59, BullyweeClyde said:

Added a few more to my list, including some that I've recently remembered watching. Not seen as many this month as I'd have like to though

Capture.PNG.b795e029d823818c25b6cf3d87dce889.PNG

A 2 for Lego Batman?!

Not having that!