What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

2 hours ago, GrahamJags said:

The Greatest Showman - 8/10. (cinema)

Thought this looked shite, hence why I held off seeing it for so long, but after hearing so many people rave about it, I went to see it last night. Loved it. Hugh Jackman is fantastic, and the soundtrack is immense. Wouldn't be surprised if this gets adapted for the stage soon (if it hasn't already).

Couldn't agree more. The negative reviews for this are ludicrous. It's a great piece of cinema - a proper musical with an excellent set of songs and characters. I can understand Jackman's disappointment at not getting the golden globe as it has been a pet project of his for years. I can imagine it was disheartening seeing the wave of negative reviews and relatively poor box office showings in the first couple of weeks as a result. The word of mouth effect has taken hold though, and it's trebled its production budget now.

I think Zendaya is an actress to look out for in the future. She had a very easy charisma on the screen and stood out for me along with Jackman.

I went to see Coco the other night as there wasn't an awful lot else on at the cinema. I thoroughly enjoyed it after a slow start. About as engaging an animated film I've seen since Inside Out.

Edited by Kyle

Last Flag Flying

Not sure what I expected from this, but I was pretty delighted with the way it turned out. The two hours just flew by. Plenty of subjects skimmed over but not excessively and we're ultimately left with the fractured friendship between three ex marines, led by three good performances. The arsehole colonel seemed needless and out of place, but that's the one gripe. I'd recommend.

8/10

The Square 7.5/10

Just watched Pam Doov winner The Square, blaady fuckin good you blaady fuckers! Always wondered what was going on in THAT scene from the posters, but I have to say I did not expect THAT! (Curzon)

DE98C22A-51E3-488B-9D06-9009B48A729A.jpeg

Edited by Christophe

Three to add. Last Flag Flying was a cinema one btw.

The Post ( cinema )

Seems a bit odd to compare this to the likes of Spotlight and All the President's Men when those were completely different types of movie. Those were purely focused on reporters covering stories and not much else, while this movie had a much wider scope and was a lot more interested in the circumstances surrounding the paper, the characters and relationships between certain people involved. In that sense, the movie doesn't really succeed that well either. It's all a wee bit hollow. The story in itself is quite an interesting one so I'm surprised that I didn't take to it.

5/10

Mon and Dad ( illegally gained )

So mums and dads end up trying to murder their own children for some reason. Whatever the reason is, I'm happy, because this was a total joy. Featuring Nic Cage at his most batshit crazy as well for folk who like that sort of thing, but there's a disturbing sort of twist to that side of him this time. It's a nutty daft movie.

8/10

Sweet Virginia ( illegally gained )

Woman has her husband killed and then ends up owing the hitman money. Her mum is going out with a former bull rider who now works at a motel and they're shagging. Cue things coming together in not very interesting ways.

3/10

Three Billboards.

Must see. It's not got a lot of competition but slots in as an early contender as my favourite of 2018. Sensational film. Has a touch of the Coen Brothers about it with the feeling of Irn Bruges (obviously considering the director).

A film that can hit all your different emotions on the big screen. Dunno how effective it will translate on the small screen but I fucking loved it.

9/10

The Commuter - Cinema - 6/10

If I ever get on any form of public transport and see Liam Neeson then I'm getting off at the next stop.  Carnage follows him everywhere he goes apparently. 

Decent enough watch.