What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Free Fire - 4/10 (Amazon Prime)

I mind seeing the trailers and wanting to see it, but was too busy to see it in the cinema.....so glad I didn't waste money.  The premise is good and has a strong cast ( Cillian Murphy, Brie Larson, Armie Hammer, Sharlto Copley) but it's poorly executed.

The film starts with heavy and clunky dialogue which seems to drag but only lasts for about 15 mins before we move onto the 'action' of the film.....I say action but it's mostly the main characters crawling on their bellies while possessing the aim of imperial Stormtroppers.  It try's to ramp up the tension by creating countless scenarios where they get shot and are in life and death battles but there comes a point where any compassion for any of the characters has long since filtered away and you simply stop caring.  The obvious homage to Reservoir Dogs falls short because it lacks the same whit, charm and substance,this would make for a good short movie but by stretching this to a feature length film it just falls flat.

The Post (2018):

Meryl Streep, Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks join forces (why aren't you there yet?) to provide a very poignant yet uplifting tale about The Washington Post's attempted publishing of the Pentagon Papers. 

For the first maybe half-hour or so I thought it verged very close to 'Spotlight' (reporters hunting for a deeply-rooted conspiracy) meets 'The Iron Lady' (Meryl Streep coming to terms with being a woman in a man's world), but it manages to reach beyond that and become something very different. I love 'Spotlight' for what it is - a bleak portrayal of journalists chasing something horrible - but 'The Post' takes the central topic and decides to run with the morality to the point that your conscience can't take anymore come the end. They instantly become different when 'The Post' shifts its focus to publishing the story as opposed to researching it. They know that the right thing to do is to release the papers for the sake of the country, but they are putting many people's lives at risk for the sake of, at first, trying to stop a threat. The parallels between Ben and Kay and those in charge of the Vietnam War are laced throughout but never forcefully alluded to. 

The film is certainly very transitory as even when it feels that it slows down, foundations are either being laid to make later moments feel grander (such as much of the film's opening focussing on dull financial speak with Kay), or it serves to give you reasons for why they want to push the publishing so much. In fact, it isn't until they first see the leak that the film kicks in as a witty back-and-forth thriller, but the slow start (something the characters are clearly used to) is just a motivation. 

15 hours ago, accies1874 said:

The Post (2018):

Meryl Streep, Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks join forces (why aren't you there yet?) to provide a very poignant yet uplifting tale about The Washington Post's attempted publishing of the Pentagon Papers. 

For the first maybe half-hour or so I thought it verged very close to 'Spotlight' (reporters hunting for a deeply-rooted conspiracy) meets 'The Iron Lady' (Meryl Streep coming to terms with being a woman in a man's world), but it manages to reach beyond that and become something very different. I love 'Spotlight' for what it is - a bleak portrayal of journalists chasing something horrible - but 'The Post' takes the central topic and decides to run with the morality to the point that your conscience can't take anymore come the end. They instantly become different when 'The Post' shifts its focus to publishing the story as opposed to researching it. They know that the right thing to do is to release the papers for the sake of the country, but they are putting many people's lives at risk for the sake of, at first, trying to stop a threat. The parallels between Ben and Kay and those in charge of the Vietnam War are laced throughout but never forcefully alluded to. 

The film is certainly very transitory as even when it feels that it slows down, foundations are either being laid to make later moments feel grander (such as much of the film's opening focussing on dull financial speak with Kay), or it serves to give you reasons for why they want to push the publishing so much. In fact, it isn't until they first see the leak that the film kicks in as a witty back-and-forth thriller, but the slow start (something the characters are clearly used to) is just a motivation. 

Just back from seeing this.  It's a very contemporary film - a corrupt president in battle against a legitimate press.  There are a bit too many lectures about freedom of the press and the founding fathers, and how the press can't be suppressed.  That said, the two leads are magnificent - particularly Streep - and there is a fascinating story, which  probably should be shown as a double bill with All The President's Men.   And in these oddball times, who is to say those lectures aren't without place.  

It's a Hollywood take on what I think was a fascinating historical period, with reflections on the ethics of the Pentagon Papers among other things.  Enjoyed it a lot, although I think it's quite a superficial examination on half the story.

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Just back from seeing this.  It's a very contemporary film - a corrupt president in battle against a legitimate press.  There are a bit too many lectures about freedom of the press and the founding fathers, and how the press can't be suppressed.  That said, the two leads are magnificent - particularly Streep - and there is a fascinating story, which  probably should be shown as a double bill with All The President's Men.   And in these oddball times, who is to say those lectures aren't without place.  

It's a Hollywood take on what I think was a fascinating historical period, with reflections on the ethics of the Pentagon Papers among other things.  Enjoyed it a lot, although I think it's quite a superficial examination on half the story.

I actually thought Hanks was the better lead, although the supporting cast pushed both of them very hard. 

I'm not too clued up about that period of history (or really any period) so I don't know quite how many liberties they took with the story, but there were definitely questionable moments even for me. 

Haven't to catch the start of Shawshank last night.
Decided to watch the first ten mins while I finished my drink.
You know what happened...

[emoji38] What's with that film?! The Green Mile is another of mine.

Kingsman: Golden Circle:

Stumbled upon the first one when it premiered on sky a few years ago and was blown away, one of those "didn't hear much of but loved it" films, so the sequel had a lot to live up to, and in parts it did, but on the whole, it didn't.
Thought it was enjoyable and a nice break from the norm, but championing Channing Tatum as a star in it, when his total screen time was about 15 minutes was poor. A decent story and some light hearted action scenes give it a 6/10

On 13/01/2018 at 21:02, wellinwigan said:

Get out 

8/10

Black guy goes to visit his white gfs parents who aren't all they seem. Enjoyable film 

Sky movies

On 13/01/2018 at 21:16, spud131 said:

Watched this lady night. Still not quite sure if I enjoyed it or not. Certainly not a bad film.

Got this on my SKY planner....worth watching? Is it a racial tension type drama like American History X ?

On 20/01/2018 at 10:06, Tynieness said:

Haven't to catch the start of Shawshank last night.

Decided to watch the first ten mins while I finished my drink.

You know what happened...

The closing scene where Red and Andy embrace on the beach is pure tears in the eyes material.

Sleepless ( illegal means )

Erm... this wasn't bad actually. Basic enough plot, carried out fairly logically with some daft shit going down, as it always does in action thrillers. Nothing to drag it down too much, nothing to make it amazing. A fairly easy way to spend 90 minutes I thought.

7/10

2 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Got this on my SKY planner....worth watching? Is it a racial tension type drama like American History X ?

It's excellent. Well-acted (especially by Daniel Kaluuya) with an unsettling atmosphere throughout due to nothing really seeming right, and you squirm in your seat along with Chris (the main character) as the family try and compensate for their beliefs. It is certainly tense for the majority of it but I think that mostly comes from how tense Chris is. I hated the ending, though.

I do think calls for Best Picture are a bit much but great nonetheless. 

The Post.

Like a slower, less entertaining version of Spotlight. No surprise to see it was written by the same guy. Spielberg does a few interesting things with it but it essentially is the poor man's Spotlight.

6/10.

The Commuter

Similar premise to the film Liam Neeson did on a plane. This time on a train. Beginning to tire of Neeson's brand of action which is just repeating the same character and plot line from Taken and seeing how far he can go with it. He's a good actor that's refusing to push himself. Still good fun but nothing new.

5/10.