What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

President Under Siege 

Ended up watching this on SKY last night by accident as I was channel hopping and the first five minutes grabbed my attention.

Firstly, set in Belgium its 95% in Flemish/Dutch with subtitles, that doesnt put me off, I thoroughly enjoyed the TV mini series Deutschland 83 a couple of years back which was entirely subtitled, this had a similar, more modern theme to it, with those pesky communists being replaced by a joint Belgium/USA equivalent of Britain First.  Basically they reckon the US president is soft on terrorism so they decide to kidnapp the Belgian PM and his wife and family where he is given an order to assassinate her on her impending state visit to the land of chocolate and beer, with nods throughout to films such as the Bourne Identity and Oldboy, a decent basic plot and some classic pantomine villains, none moreso than the Belgian PM's chauffeur.

Interspersed with some good action scenes, the odd twist and a sprinkling of suspense it is sadly let down with a cop out damp squib of an ending, would have scored an eight otherwise but has to make do with 6/10 from me, still a decent watch if you dont mind the subtitles. 

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (watched through the Covenant add-on in kodi)

I really wanted to like this having enjoyed director McDonagh's previous works In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths.

However there really isn't anything to recommend other than McDormand's excellent acting.

There are plot holes a-plenty and numerous acts of violence by Police and public alike which are carried out with total impunity rendering the storyline as unbelievable.

The Wall ( download )

John Cena plays a sniper who gets shot, and Aaron Taylor-Johnson is left hiding behind the wall from the sniper who shoots him. It then basically becomes a story of survival for Taylor-Johnson and Cena. It's a terrific wee movie, which just sees those two on screen with the voice of the sniper being heard. Lots of little things take place, and the final few minutes are absolutely brilliant.

8/10

Just now, Central said:

As most would I would. Not sure if it's because of my age or whatever, but it just didn't do it for me!

Haven't seen it since it came out 24 years ago, so maybe it doesn't age too well.

I saw it for the first time a year or so ago - it has aged brilliantly. 

I've seen it loads of times, probably most recently about six months ago, it's timeless. One of those films where you see it's on, think to yourself "I'll just watch this bit" then before you know it you've watched the whole film. Again.

A classic and easy inclusion on my all-time top ten.

The Disaster Artist 2017

I watched this through a kodi add-on  which was a cam version and this added to the enjoyment as you could hear the audience laughing at several points.

It most certainly is not a piss-take and I definitely think watching The Room beforehand is a good idea to fully appreciate the great  job Franco has done directing (and acting of course).

The Neon Demon. 3/10. What a heap of shite. It's not that I found it too shocking or anything, I like bizarre films, it's just that I didn't believe that the characters motivation was enough to make them do what they did, it was too far fetched. I didn't find it a particularly interesting film either.

On 03/01/2018 at 12:06, The Minertaur said:

All at the cinema -

Ferdinand - 5/10.  Animated film about a Spanish bull who doesn't want to take part in bull fighting.  Again as above it had a few funny moments but nothing to write home about.

A bir harsh imo.

Bearing in mind the target audience (I took the kids to it) I thought it was pretty good, with a few decent laughs. Infinitely better than sone of the drivel I have taken them to before. Would (and will undoubtedly have to) watch again.  7.5/10. 

Titanic on TV just now. Considering it was such a high budget blockbuster, I'm amazed they opened it with the mother of all spoilers. No need to watch the rest knowing what happens now.

Over 1000 miles of pleasurable and uneventful sailing.

Red (Channel 4)

A decent enough film. Bruce Willis plays a former CIA agent now being hunted by the Agency. He drags a call centre worker into the chase cos he liked the sound of her voice and then meets up with his badass pals to smash the conspiracy and retire in peace.

Morgan Freeman, Helen Mirren, John Malkovich and Brian Cox are all great additions to the cast and are the best thing about the film tbh. Malkovich in particular is excellent as the clichéd paranoid former spy living in the woods.

Will need to look up the sequel now

Red (Channel 4)

A decent enough film. Bruce Willis plays a former CIA agent now being hunted by the Agency. He drags a call centre worker into the chase cos he liked the sound of her voice and then meets up with his badass pals to smash the conspiracy and retire in peace.

Morgan Freeman, Helen Mirren, John Malkovich and Brian Cox are all great additions to the cast and are the best thing about the film tbh. Malkovich in particular is excellent as the clichéd paranoid former spy living in the woods.

Will need to look up the sequel now

Red 2 is an good film but not as good as the first one