What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Molly’s Game

Molly (Jessica Chastain) must be on screen 95% if the time, which is really no hardship for the viewer. Molly is the offspring of overbearing demanding dad (Kevin Costner) and takes a year out before law school. That year out becomes a career running ‘illegal’ poker games. 

The dialogue is brilliant but it steals the show. A few more knowing looks and a bit less dialogue and this could have been truly exceptional. It’s still easily as good as The Social Network but with the glam locations and girls it could have been a level even higher had it been more cinematic.

An Oscar contender as best film but not winner IMO and possible best actress for Chastain. Idris Elba is ace too - good chance of a supporting actor Oscar. 

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

Molly’s Game

Came on to post about this as well.  Elba and Chastain were excellent, but the more I think about it afterwards the less I like Molly's underlying motivation for taking the path she does (and this despite enjoying the scene where you get the 'reveal', if you can call it that).  That knocks a little of the shine off an otherwise engaging film.

(Cinema, in case that was in doubt)

The Guard

Brendan Gleeson plays a smalltown Irish cop who doesn't give a f**k.....apart from with prostitutes. FBI agent Don Cheadle arrives to investigate a drug smuggling operation. Great wee low budget film played for laughs..........8/10. 

So clean counter and off we go for 2018....

(1)

Mommy Dead and Dearest 7/10

True crime documentary that tries to at least sympathise with everyone as best as possible in the circumstances (dark). I can’t possibly reveal much without spoiling it as it’s MADNESS is in the layer upon layer of WHAT? THEY DID WHAT? AND? ALL ALONG? NO WAY! etc.

Once you peel past that it is a conventional crime documentary but one heck of a tale. (YouTube)

Goon: Last Of The Enforcers - 1/10 (Netflix). Needless sequel to Seann William Scott ice hockey “comedy”.

The Road - 3/10 (Netflix). Post-apocalyptic bleakfest with Vigo Mortensen. The ending is pretty decent, but it’s a slog to get there.

Metallica: Some Kind Of Monster - 8/10 (Netflix). Not a fan of the band at all, but this is a fantastic insight into how two egocentric p***ks (Hetfield and Ulrich) go about making a record. Kirk Hammett comes out of this pretty well, though.

Molly’s Game - 8/10 (cinema). Jessica Chastain is fantastic in this. Not sure it stands much of a chance for Best Picture at the Oscars, but still a very enjoyable watch.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - 9/10 (cinema). Phenomenal film. Martin McDonagh does it again with the perfect blend of black comedy and compassion. Sam Rockwell gives as good a performance as you’re likely to see this year, and if there’s any justice, he’ll get some best supporting actor nods during awards season.

Guardians of Galaxy 2. Enjoyed this. Maybe it's because I was concentrating more, but actually preferred it to the first one. Best superhero film I've seen for ages. 9/10.

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? Had never seen this but got inspired to do so by the recent "Feud" series on BBC. Again, it's excellent. A bit like Misery, but with the added intensity caused by two stars that genuinely hated each other. A classic. 9/10.

All at the cinema -

Daddys Home 2 - 6/10.  Few funny moments but I really didn't take to Mel Gibsons character at all.  As with the first film it's Wahlberg and Ferrell who provide the laughs.

Ferdinand - 5/10.  Animated film about a Spanish bull who doesn't want to take part in bull fighting.  Again as above it had a few funny moments but nothing to write home about.

Pitch Perfect 3 - 7/10.  Much better than the 2 above. Quite funny and I'm a big fan of the musical numbers in it.  John Lithgow was a terrible villain though especially a day after seeing him play the lovely old Grandpa in Daddys Home 2!  Anna Kendrick though :wub:

Wonder (cinema), 4/5
Touching, and funny. A lot to be said for the way the film shifted the focus away from August on to those around him, helping give it a bit more depth. Owen Wilson isn't annoying in it either, which was a bonus.

WarGames (Netflix), 3/5
Bit of a silly concept but good fun all the same. A kid accidentally starts a sequence of events that might well lead to the end of the world as we know it...what could be more fun than that?

3 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

Pitch Perfect 3 - 7/10.  Much better than the 2 above. Quite funny and I'm a big fan of the musical numbers in it.  John Lithgow was a terrible villain though especially a day after seeing him play the lovely old Grandpa in Daddys Home 2!  Anna Kendrick though :wub:

Glad it's not just me. Although, I quite liked Lithgow's pantomime baddy.

58 minutes ago, morrison said:

WarGames (Netflix), 3/5
Bit of a silly concept but good fun all the same. A kid accidentally starts a sequence of events that might well lead to the end of the world as we know it...what could be more fun than that?

I remember going to see this as the ABC in Falkirk when it came out. Ally Sheedy -- an Anna Kendrick of the 80s IMO.

Goon: Last Of The Enforcers - (Netflix)

I really enjoyed the first film in the Gooniverse but this sequel is horrendous, removing everything enjoyable and surprising from the first film and replacing it with overly crass pish.

2/10 (would be 1/10 but I thought Sean William Scott was alright in it)

Pitch Perfect 3 

I see it's getting the usual 'tired cliche' pish on rotten tomatoes and from critics generally, but it's a decent enough addition and a very satisfying conclusion (if that indeed is the end). I think it falls a little short of the first one and is probably about on par with the second one, but the interactions between the cast and the song choices generally are top notch as usual. I would've rated this a little lower, but I thought the ending was about as good as it gets for this kind of film.

7/10.

Molly's Game 

I was totally absorbed by this  film, as I usually am with Sorkin's movies. The writing is typically excellent, the performances not far behind. Jessica Chastain has a very easy charisma on screen - she has an incredible ability to draw you into her role. The fact that Molly Bloom is a well written and interesting character makes it easier for her - I'd say she's as good in this as she is in The Help. I think it'll fall a little short in terms of a best picture oscar nod, but would definitely recommend watching. 140 minutes totally flew by.

9/10

Edited by Kyle

(2-3)

Ripley’s Game 7.2/10

Quite good, worth a watch just for Malcovich’s performance as a sort of kind-hearted psychopath. (Amazon)

Battle of Algiers 8/10

Great, highly recommend to anyone who’s not seen it. Full thing on YouTube.