What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

(208-210)

Limehouse Golem 8/10

Enjoyed. (Amazon)

Robocop 10/10

Original, first I’ve watched it in 25 years. One of  the best films ever IMO. Proper 18 certificate too, they’d water that shit down to a 15 max these days. Remember getting hold of a ropey pirate VHS copy when we were kids and doing frame advance on the bit  at the beginning when the dude’s all covered in toxic goo and gets runned over and his head rolls up the windscreen. (Sky)

Robocop 2 5/10

Rewatched this as well. Loved this too as a kid but a less than satisfying rewatch. 

Home Alone
An absolute classic which hits every single mark intended. The scene with Angels With Dirty Faces and the pizza guy is probably my favourite but there's all sorts to love. The scene with the feathers is daft as f**k but utterly hilarious.
10/10

It’s not even debatable that the absolute peak of the first two Home Alone movies is Marv’s scream! [emoji1]

(211)

Into Great Silence 8.5/10

In 1984 the director wrote the Carthusian monks at Chartreuse to ask if he could film them for a documentary. They wrote back: not now. Maybe in 15 years.

15 years later he goes back and films their daily life over the course of 4 months. 

The Carthusians are contemplative order of hermits who live in cells and are mostly silent, aside from chants and prayers. Most of the film is just watching from a distance, enjoying the rhythms and repetitions. 

He had to shoot under strict rules: no artificial light, no interviews, no crew, while technically no masterpiece, it’s a labour of love and it shows. It’s really beautiful and slow, like taking two codeine and sitting in the garden on a nice day but without the constipation afterward. And the blind monk at the end is great. 

Still, prefer Jesuits. (YouTube)

Edited by Christophe

(212)

Menashe 7.5/10

Film about a Hasidic guy and his troubles bringing up his kid and just with life in general. Absolutely no idea how they made this since Hasids famously don’t let the outside world in, think the crowd scenes must have been done with zoom lenses and then the actors were all lapsed ones or something. Lovely soundtrack. (cinema)

Just now, G_Man1985 said:

Incredible stuff christophe. After new year is it a matter of trying to beat your film count ?

Not sure whether to do it again? Was just out of interest to see how many I actually got through over a calendar year after a few queries on here! 

It’s easy enough to track by putting all reviews on here though, so might as well carry it on. 

20 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

Home Alone

An absolute classic which hits every single mark intended. The scene with Angels With Dirty Faces and the pizza guy is probably my favourite but there's all sorts to love. The scene with the feathers is daft as f**k but utterly hilarious.

10/10

Finally got a chance to watch the Dark Tower. Been wanting to see if for a while as I'm a fan of Stephen King, Idris Elba and Matthew McConnachy.

What a pile of shite! As well as McConnachy and Elba play their characters the film suffers from terrible writing and editing. No atmosphere in the film at all and the storyline is diluted to become almost a kid's film. The characters have amazing potential but fall short, not due to the actors but they way they were written.

1/10

Rear Window (1954):
What a great film this is. Set pretty much entirely from the viewpoint of one man’s apartment, Hitchcock manages to make you feel like you are living in this apartment block in just one opening shot by giving you a quick glimpse into each of their windows. Their characters are conveyed with little to no dialogue for most of them. You know who they are, their stories and traits.
It is a slow burner in the first half, with the three leads really just talking, but this helps to build up the characters and establishes why they do the things that they do when the plot begins to kick in come the second half.
The mystery was interesting and you are left to make your own mind up about things. Many things didn’t add up, some things were too convenient and the back and forth conversations between Jeffrey and Doyle constantly made me doubt myself or reaffirm my views.

Love this film, and completely fell for Grace Kelly while watching it. *swoon*

Home (BBC)

Sheldon from the big bang theory voices a likeable alien who helps to find a girls mother, not bad but a bit like Sheldon ,annoying as hell after a while,worth checking out for the animation which is stunning.6/10

Frozen (BBC)

One of the few people on earth with kids who hasn't seen it until now, it's a very good film but not up there with the likes of Shrek ,toy story and so on.  7/10

Scrooged(SKY)

Always make a point of watching an adaptation of a Christmas Carol each Xmas eve so it was a re-watching of this gem. One of Murray's finest pieces of work 9/10