What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The Ritual - 2/10. Very little likeable about this. Characters and story were dreadful.

The Death Of Stalin - 8/10. Absolutely cracking film. Hilarious throughout, with excellent performances from near enough everyone. Jeffrey Tambor and Simon Russell Beale stole it though. Armando Iannucci has surely cemented himself as one of the finest British comedy writers.

Gran Torino - 6/10. Everyone seems to absolutely love this and I'm not sure why. Didn't think the acting was good at all outside of Eastwood. I was looking forward to this one as well. 

Glengarry Glen Ross - 9/10. Now if you're wanting terrific acting, this is the film to watch. Lemmon and Pacino in particular were brilliant. Really enjoyable story with great dialogue.

The Babysitter (Netflix) - as recommended on here. Pretty decent. As stated here, best to avoid reading anything about this and give it a go. Don't even read the Netflix blurb. Also, don't watch it if you ever plan to watch "Mad Men" as it gives away a major plotline (I think).

Eden Lake (Horror channel, I think) - a couple enjoying a weekend away, played excellently by Michael Fassbender and Kelly Reilly, are set upon by a gang of hoodlums. This is well-scripted and gripping. Recommended if you think you can put up with the unrelenting grimness.

Birth of Nation (Sky) - anti-racist 2016 version as opposed to racist 1916 film of the same name. Fairly standard inspirational yet upsetting tale of suppression and rebellion in slave-owning America. Admittedly, I wasn't concentrating too much but it seemed pretty well done.

Gold 

Woody Harrelson is rich, then he's not, then he finds some gold, then he gets malria, then he's rich again, then he's not, then he's rich again. Boring boring boring. 3/10. 

Lady Macbeth

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/lady_macbeth/ 

Florence Pugh is gorgeous - would happily just watch her for 90 minutes. In this, she's the bored new wife of a Victorian colliery owner in North East England. What is a bored young neglected wife to get up to? Part period drama, part horror and maybe even a very, very dark comedy. 8.5/10 

Brawl in Cell Block 99 ( cinema )

This was fucking absurd at times, but absolutely incredible. Outstanding violence in the final third and the gradual escalation of it means it's more than just some average b-movie type. Also, Vince Vaughn is fairly incredible in it.

9/10

On 10/23/2017 at 00:35, MSU said:

Happy Death Day -- Groundhog Day meets Scream teen horror hokum. I enjoyed this far more than I thought I would. It's not really much of a horror movie but it was pretty funny throughout. Great performance from the lead actress who was a definite wid. 7/10.

Would agree with this. A few decent jump scares in the scream mold, but the comedy was the star of the show. The death montage was hilarious. Loved the reference made in the closing scene as well.

Will certainly look out for this actress as I thought she had a real presence about her.

I went to see The Party last night as it got rave reviews almost everywhere. I don't think it met my high expectations but it was very watchable, funny in bits and some of the performances were very good. One of the shortest films I've watched at the cinema - billed as being 71 minutes but the end credits starting rolling after about 65.

Edited by Kyle

The Mountain Between Us with Idris Elba and Kate Winslet.

Worth watching for the Labrador that wears a scarf.

Image result for mountain between us dog

Not a bad film, but when the rear of their plane falls off and they're plummeting to earth, the dog just stands at the edge stares down at the mountains below as if mildly curious about the whole thing. Unconvincing acting tbh, even for a dog.

5.5/10.

16 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

Brawl in Cell Block 99 ( cinema )

This was fucking absurd at times, but absolutely incredible. Outstanding violence in the final third and the gradual escalation of it means it's more than just some average b-movie type. Also, Vince Vaughn is fairly incredible in it.

9/10

Watched this yesterday - brutal isn't the word for the last hour of the film although some of the bone splitting made me laugh.

Vince Vaughan is a big dude !

The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected) - 7/10 (Netflix)

Surprisingly watchable Netflix film starring Ben Stiller, Adam Sandler and Dustin Hoffman. When Sandler isn’t phoning in horrendous idiot comedies, he’s a half decent actor.

Gerald’s Game - 4/10 (Netflix)

Another new release cashing in on the Stephen King craze just now. Pretty ridiculous, and one particularly gruesome scene but featuring some horrendous acting.

Blade Runner & Blade Runner 2049:
I watched both of them fairly close together so may as well do the two in one.
What I loved about 2049 is that it, on the whole, maintains a similar pacing and tone to the original. It’s grander, yes, but it is still a detective story that doesn’t attempt to dumb down the plot for more money. It sticks to its guns and is a very clever movie.
The original’s ambiguity, I wouldn’t say plot holes, gives the viewer a sense of investment to try and pick up things that could be, and are, hidden throughout it. I thought 2049 lost parts of that, mainly due to having to build the world even more, but it is more focussed on presenting a world that interlinks and occasionally flashes back to scenes we have already seen to explain things - something I didn’t think it necessarily needed. That being said, it was only momentarily and didn’t really distract from the movie.
What they both did brilliantly is providing a double-mystery in each movie: one for the main character and one for us. I’d go into more detail, but don’t really want to spoil it.
I’d also like to say that the visuals (and more pertinently the cinematography) in 2049 were unbelievable.
I absolutely loved both of them.

5 hours ago, GrahamJags said:

The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected) - 7/10 (Netflix)

Surprisingly watchable Netflix film starring Ben Stiller, Adam Sandler and Dustin Hoffman. When Sandler isn’t phoning in horrendous idiot comedies, he’s a half decent actor.

I absolutely agree. This was a cracking watch. All the actors were at the top of their game but Emma Thomson and Adam Sandler in particular were pretty amazing. 9/10 for me.

Alien on Film4 just now, simply because I'm just home and it's a classic. However... how the f*** do you go around unaware that there's something the size of an American football in your chest??

Eta: Despite having seen it plenty of times, I've only just clocked that Parker is played by Kananga.

10 hours ago, munro7 said:

Thor Ragnarok tonight. Very, very funny!

I saw it last night too. Great film and up there with Iron Man 2 and Guardians 1 as the best of the MCU so far.

15 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Alien on Film4 just now, simply because I'm just home and it's a classic. However... how the f*** do you go around unaware that there's something the size of an American football in your chest??

Eta: Despite having seen it plenty of times, I've only just clocked that Parker is played by Kananga.

In fairness,  his awareness increases fairly rapidly.