What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The Trip To Spain -- Released over here on Friday, but the nearest cinema to me that was showing it was 270 miles away. In Canada. So me and the missus went to Canada. Brilliantly funny movie. Loved it. And finding a British Grocer store meant I could stock up on Irn Bru. Totally worth the effort. 10/10.

The Trip To Spain -- Released over here on Friday, but the nearest cinema to me that was showing it was 270 miles away. In Canada. So me and the missus went to Canada. Brilliantly funny movie. Loved it. And finding a British Grocer store meant I could stock up on Irn Bru. Totally worth the effort. 10/10.

You travelled 270 miles to see a film?

Aye. They've cut it down to 1hr 50 minutes. They did the same for the original Trip and the one to Italy. Cinema was packed, which surprised me and made me glad I'd bought my tickets before I left. Imagine getting there and it being sold out. Ooft.

Valerian and the blah-de-blah blah: yeah, it was alright. Impressive SFX, and you could see that the universe from the graphic novels is interesting. Unfortunately, the two leads are absolute charisma vacuums, have absolutely no chemistry whatsoever, and some of the dialogue is absolutely chronic. There's a long segment where Valerian and Laureline literally explain Valerian's personality to each other in adjectives, which is one of the worst scenes I've seen in a while, and also sadly necessary, as you wouldn't feel like you've learned much about the character by the end without it.

The story's pretty sloppily told and takes a while to come together with an aim for the characters to pursue, which unfortunately leaves the relationship between them to concentrate on, and I couldn't muster up a single solitary f**k. The most interesting character in the film (by some distance) was, surprisingly, Rihanna, and unfortunately she isn't in it for very long. It says a lot that I still got some enjoyment out of the film despite all of this, and it could have been improved massively by casting some actual actors and employing a screenwriter who's actually familiar with how humans speak to each other. As it stands, I'll be surprised if it doesn't pick up a few Razzies when the time comes.

Valerian and the blah-de-blah blah: yeah, it was alright. Impressive SFX, and you could see that the universe from the graphic novels is interesting. Unfortunately, the two leads are absolute charisma vacuums, have absolutely no chemistry whatsoever, and some of the dialogue is absolutely chronic. There's a long segment where Valerian and Laureline literally explain Valerian's personality to each other in adjectives, which is one of the worst scenes I've seen in a while, and also sadly necessary, as you wouldn't feel like you've learned much about the character by the end without it.

I walked out of this on Saturday. Got to about 50 minutes before the terrible cliches, lazy dialogue and non-existant character depth got the better of me. Entirely agree on the chemistry, too.

It's really, really bad.

A Ghost Story - 2/10 (Cinema)

Not for me. Felt like a potentially great film ruined by overly long scenes of absolutely nothing. Would've made a great short film.

Icarus - 8/10 (Netflix)

Interesting documentary about the Russian roping scandal. Grigory Rodchenkov's personality makes this.

The Circle - 4/10 (Netflix)

Potentially great idea for a film ruined by cheesy over-acting that even Tom Hanks couldn't save. Emma Watson's American accent is absolutely atrocious.

Handsome Devil - 8/10 (Netflix)

Irish boy is bullied in boarding school for being different/gay. Sporty type gets transferred, shares a room with him and has a secret. Some excellent performances in this, particularly from Andrew Scott.

Two downloaded ones.

86 Kill

Guy has a mental girlfriend who wants to steal 86k from someone, and it all ends up going a bit mental. It's fucking great with a tone shift in the last 20 minutes which sends a proper jolt. Our first two characters are superb.

9/10

Among Us

Frustrating movie. Something happens to the son of a couple and they run from it. The son is dead it turns out and they get a ghost hunter to try and speak to him. It starts as a pretty haunting drama which centres around the couple while not forgetting it's main plot, and that makes it superb. But then it gets all hokey when it goes more full blown horror, and from then, it just gets worse. It's still an entertaining movie but it felt like it could have been much better.

7/10

Icarus - 8/10 (Netflix)

Interesting documentary about the Russian roping scandal. Grigory Rodchenkov's personality makes this.

Watched this at the weekend and really enjoyed it. It was amazing how events started to unfold round about the making of the documentary.

15 hours ago, GrahamJags said:

A Ghost Story - 2/10 (Cinema)

Not for me. Felt like a potentially great film ruined by overly long scenes of absolutely nothing. Would've made a great short film.

I initially felt the same about A Ghost Story, but it's stuck with me since seeing it more than other films I've seen recently. Not sure as far as I'd go as far as saying I liked it, but it was certainly interesting.

Casey Affleck has a penchant for picking films like this  - I sat in the cinema thinking this its incredibly similar to the movie Gerry. Another film that I didn't particularly like when watching it, but I still remember it quite vividly years later.

On 8/13/2017 at 12:58, Mark Connolly said:

Never looked back after that huge breakout role in the mid 90s.

Hide contents

john-leguizamo.jpg

He apparently turned down a role in Philadelphia in favour of becoming Luigi.

That must rank as one of the worst decisions in film making history.

Pet Sematary ( NOW TV )

As a big fan of the book, I was interested to see how this went. Outside of the lead providing some of the most wooden acting in history, this was actually a decent effort. And Jud Crandall looks and talks pretty much exactly how I'd envisagaed him. Most other things were effective as well, but not quite as much as he was, although trying to add some menace to Crandall early doors before completely abandoning that idea was a bit of a dumb move. The climax is one King's better ones, and the movie does it a fair bit of justice for the most part. The final scene is just hokey as f**k though. Can't take away from the rest though. It's fun.

7/10

Frailty ( NOW TV )

Getting some good use out of this! A bit low key for the most part, as it never really gives much away for most of it, but gives enough treacles of information to allow you to make your own mind up to exactly what the f**k is going on. Then the final act takes off and it gets very very good before it's pretty effective finish.

7/10