What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

I've never understood that criticism of Insomnia. It was a remake and the director doesn't really have much scope to change the film - other than the setting to Alaska rather than Norway - so it's not going to be a "Nolan" film. It's a solid 7/10 film until the bit before the ending.

Williams is decent when he goes for serious roles. He plays a creep very well.

Oh its definitely a good film, the rating was more to do with my expectations of it than a lack of quality. Fair enough about it not really being 'his' film, but a change of direction can make so much difference (The X-Men films are the ones that spring to mind, same actors for most, replaced in first class by actors of equal talent for the mostpart).

I'd say it was Nolan's fourth best film out of his seven so far. Hopefully he doesn't go too overboard with The Dark Knight Rises!

Very harsh, which ones of Memento, The Prestige, Batman Begins, Dark Knight and Inception would you drop below it? (Haven't seen Following so I dont know what that's like)

Oh its definitely a good film, the rating was more to do with my expectations of it than a lack of quality. Fair enough about it not really being 'his' film, but a change of direction can make so much difference (The X-Men films are the ones that spring to mind, same actors for most, replaced in first class by actors of equal talent for the mostpart).

Very harsh, which ones of Memento, The Prestige, Batman Begins, Dark Knight and Inception would you drop below it? (Haven't seen Following so I dont know what that's like)

Wait, what? Everything changed from the original X-Men(X-Men, X2, Last Stand) to First Class(assuming that's what you were comparing and not X2 to Last Stand(come to think of it, Singer left after 2 so maybe you were talking about these two). If you were talking about 2 and Last Stand then I don't think the quality wavered that much.

If you're comparing those three and First Class then I don't think you can compare. It's not just the director who changed, the whole writing team changed and all the actors.

I'd say that the actors in the original run was better than First Class also.

I also haven't seen Following, I'd rate his films;

Batman Begins

The Dark Knight

Inception

Memento

The Prestige

Insomnia

The Damned United.

8/10

I liked it, even if I had my reservations about the real people it slandered. In reality it was far less anti Clough than I imagined, the people who really got it in the neck were Don Revie and Billy Bremner.

I thought Charlie Sheen was excellent and he looks a lot like Clough too, the actor playing Peter Taylor was less inspired and it never really got into the philosophy of why Clough was successful.

But a good film and I'd recommend it.

Much like my last post I also recently seek Brothers Keeper a documentary on Current -7/10. I did miss the first 18 minutes to be fair and it was a compelling story shot in grainy rustique conditions. The rating is a bit harsh but lack of subtitles is extremely prohibitive given you have no idea what most people are saying.

The brothers in question - well the ones who were still living - were the main characters but were all but useless in interviews given there lack of education meant they didn't know what was going on and could hardly say anything. It was almost what it didn't say that was more shocking and provocative.

At the centre of it was did one of the brothers (Dilbert) kill his oldest brother - the supposed leader of the pack. There was never a satisfactory answer as to whether he did or not, or whether it was a mercy killing given the oldest brothers health problems, an extremely disturbing sexual motive or even natural causes. What was without doubt was the completely inappropriate actions of the police with regards to getting Dilbert to sign a confession. One conversation with him, or even looking at him, would imply he needs counsel yet they got him to waive his rights and sign a confession despite not being able to read.

The community who had shunned the entire family rallying around Dilbert in his hour of need was distressing in itself. They even admitted holding a dance for Dilbert and beforehand nobody would dance with him in a million years.

Everything about this story will leave you feeling disgusted - but I would still recommend watching a very depressing film.

The Damned United.

8/10

I liked it, even if I had my reservations about the real people it slandered. In reality it was far less anti Clough than I imagined, the people who really got it in the neck were Don Revie and Billy Bremner.

I thought Charlie Sheen was excellent and he looks a lot like Clough too, the actor playing Peter Taylor was less inspired and it never really got into the philosophy of why Clough was successful.

:lol:

Thread on Nolan films

The Prestige and Batman Begins don't make the top five. Inception was fifth.

1) The Dark Knight (at second watch, would have been 6th on first watch)

2) Memento

3) Following

4) Insomnia

5) Inception

This is how I'd list ALL of the Nolan movies I've watched.

1. The Prestige

2. Memento

3. Insomnia

4. Batman Begins

5. Following

6. The Dark Knight

7. Inception

And Inception is quite a bit behind that top 6.

The Scorpian King : Battle for Redemption

Someone must have the goods on Ron Pearlman cos I doubt he needed the cash to do this pile o' pish.

Think of the end of Blazing Saddels with the various film sets and actors all coming together and you have the costumes, looks like it was filmed in a Californian park with the occasional rubber plant (and cricket/monkey soundtrack) to make it a ''jungle''.

Not even cheesey in the way Evil Dead 3 was, one of the worst things I have watched all the way through.

0/10 being generous.

Under milk wood.

First welsh film ive seen. It was alright, but for the first 30 mins i literally had no idea what the f**k it was all about.

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind.

For some reason this film just does it for me. It's one of my favourite films. It's just perfect in my view. maybe it's partly because i see some of the joel barish charachter in myself.

Jim carrey is a pure ledge. Im not sure hes the most intelligent but this and truman show are two of my fav films.

Edited by jojo

1. The Prestige

2. Memento

3. Insomnia

4. Batman Begins

5. Following

6. The Dark Knight

7. Inception

I have not seem Following or Insomnia but out of the other 5 I would need to say;

Inception

The Dark Knight

The Prestige

Batman Begins

Memento

It appears that our taste is quite different!

1. The Prestige

2. Memento

3. Insomnia

4. Batman Begins

5. Following

6. The Dark Knight

7. Inception

I haven't actually watched it for a second time but The Prestige just seems like a film that wouldn't be anywhere near as good a second time around.

come to think of it, Singer left after 2 so maybe you were talking about these two. If you were talking about 2 and Last Stand then I don't think the quality wavered that much.

If you're comparing those three and First Class then I don't think you can compare. It's not just the director who changed, the whole writing team changed and all the actors.

I'd say that the actors in the original run was better than First Class also.

Correct, I meant the differences between the first 2, last stand, and origins/first class as 3 blocks. Last stand was watchable, but from a cinematic perspective its pretty shit, and definitely worse than the other 4 (fair enough, first class was a different cast but similar calibre of cast).

I also haven't seen Following, I'd rate his films;

Batman Begins

The Dark Knight

Inception

Memento

The Prestige

Insomnia

Thread on Nolan films

The Prestige and Batman Begins don't make the top five. Inception was fifth.

1) The Dark Knight (at second watch, would have been 6th on first watch)

2) Memento

3) Following

4) Insomnia

5) Inception

1. The Prestige

2. Memento

3. Insomnia

4. Batman Begins

5. Following

6. The Dark Knight

7. Inception

:o

Blasphemy!!!!

Inception was great, not as good as Prestige or Memento but certainly on par with batman begins and better than dark knight.

Correct, I meant the differences between the first 2, last stand, and origins/first class as 3 blocks. Last stand was watchable, but from a cinematic perspective its pretty shit, and definitely worse than the other 4 (fair enough, first class was a different cast but similar calibre of cast).

Well you were talking about a change in director so comparing origin and first class with anything else is a bit moot.

Looking at the writing credit for the first 3. X-Men had Singer, Tom DeSanto and David Hayter wrote parts of it. X2 was Singer, Hayter and Zack Penn. Then Last Stand gives credit to Penn and Simon Kinberg and that's when Singer left and Brett Ratner became the director.

With the cast staying the same, I think that's the comparison you can use.

No way is Last Stand worse than Wolverine Origins, it's utter garbage, it's probably the worst comic book film outside of Elektra!

Apart from Bacon, Fassbender and McAvoy all the First Class cast were average. In the original 3 you have veterans like Stewart and McKellen, not to mention people like Jansen, Jackman and Berry who aren't terrible actors. And Anna Paquin wub.gif

It's not really the type of film where you can change direction though. Although, there are some changes (in a couple of cases, substantial ones) from the original. I prefer the remake, purely because the ending in the original is even worse than the Nolan one. The original one is more dark and sinister, but the dialogue isn't particularly good compared to the remake. The remake isn't as fast paced as the original (which ties into how Pacino's character is feeling throughout the film - it appears Nolan does create some of his films to allow the audience to experience what the characters are experiencing, to a certain extent).

I've seen all of his films now (I don't think I've done a review for Following though so a rewatch might be in order) and I'll put it like this:

Memento

The Dark Knight

Batman Begins

Following

Inception

Insomnia

The Prestige

Compared to my previous list, it's quite different. Watching them all again definitely had a considerable influence, although places 3-7 can change fairly easily. IMO they are all 7-9.9/10 films.

Edited by yoda

Someone must have the goods on Ron Pearlman cos I doubt he needed the cash to do this pile o' pish.

That's almost all Ron Perlman does. Unmitigated shite!

Of the films I've seen of his let's take a look (in order best to worst)...

Blade II

Hellboy

Mutant Chronicles

Alien Resurrection

Police Academy: Mission to Moscow

Rats

Hellboy II: The Golden Army

You can tell just looking at the names of these films that he chooses to be in utter, utter, shite!

I'm pleased at the amount of controversy I've caused :lol:

Well you were talking about a change in director so comparing origin and first class with anything else is a bit moot.

With the cast staying the same, I think that's the comparison you can use.

The writing certainly contributed to the poor standard of Last Stand, but there is a different feel to it than the first 2. There's no real connection felt with any of the characters IMO and I think there were far too many new characters added in (First Class suffered from this a wee bit aswell). I preferred Wolverine to it, thought it was pretty cheesey and some stuff was taken a bit far in it but its more enjoyable to watch I think.

It's not really the type of film where you can change direction though. Although, there are some changes (in a couple of cases, substantial ones) from the original. I prefer the remake, purely because the ending in the original is even worse than the Nolan one. The original one is more dark and sinister, but the dialogue isn't particularly good compared to the remake. The remake isn't as fast paced as the original (which ties into how Pacino's character is feeling throughout the film - it appears Nolan does create some of his films to allow the audience to experience what the characters are experiencing, to a certain extent).

I didnt think about it from that point of view, and now that you've pointed it out I totally see what you mean. Fair play to him if thats what he was going for but I dont think the subtlety of it works as well as this technique does in the likes of Memento and The Prestige.

The writing certainly contributed to the poor standard of Last Stand, but there is a different feel to it than the first 2. There's no real connection felt with any of the characters IMO and I think there were far too many new characters added in (First Class suffered from this a wee bit aswell). I preferred Wolverine to it, thought it was pretty cheesey and some stuff was taken a bit far in it but its more enjoyable to watch I think.

What new characters were added in to Last Stand? Kitty Pride and some of the villains, that's about it. Maybe Angel.

Wolverine is all sorts of horribad. It's probably me knowing the source but it's just terrible. For starters, the team that they're on(Wolverine, Sabertoooth etc) is supposed to be Canadian, they made it American. They turned Wade Wilson(Ryan Reynolds) into Deadpool(that's fine) but decided to start giving him all sorts of powers like teleportation, the optic blast and even adamantium swords that come out of him. That lost me. He's only got a healing factor, that's it in the powers department. His healing factor isn't even that good, it just keeps his cancer in check. Other than that, he's just good at shooting and with swords and stuff.

There was loads of other mistakes as well.

First Class also had all sorts of wrongs, namely that Beast was the only actual First Class member(except from Xavier and Magneto) who were in the film.