What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

On 10/04/2018 at 00:36, jimmy boo said:

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer......6/10

Loosely based on a true story/characters and highly recommended by Sunday Times. Looks very dated now and obviously very low budget. Pretty gory and intense at times but disappointing overall.

Michael Rooker from The Walking Dead amongst other things played the lead role.

Years since i've watched him but had a low budget B movie feel about it. 

The Big Sick(Amazon Prime) A Judd Apatow film  It is probably technically a romantic comedy which is the worst genre of films. It was excellent, it's the Asian guy from Silicon Valley who also wrote it and is about his relationship with an American girl, the culture clash, her getting sick and his subsequent conflict and  bonding with her parents while she is ill. Sounds awful but it is a really good low key film with some really funny bits amongst the drama.  Ray Romano's performance is a revelation as the girlfriends father. I hated his sitcom but he is tremendous in this film.

9/10

Edited by Swordfishtrombone

Isle of Dogs -- Finally got round to seeing this one. It was decent entertainment and for the most part beautifully animated. Couldn't work out why some of the shots were set up the way they were, with just the head of the character popping up at the bottom of the frame. But the storyline was easy on the brain and the Japanese culture, or Wes Anderson's imagining of Japanese culture, was pretty interesting. I guess I expected a bit more from it, or for it to linger beyond the walk back to the car. Not bad by any means. Not great either. 5/10

On 4/9/2018 at 19:36, jimmy boo said:

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer......6/10

Loosely based on a true story/characters and highly recommended by Sunday Times. Looks very dated now and obviously very low budget. Pretty gory and intense at times but disappointing overall.

This is a great example of what you can do with practically no money. One actress played something like four parts. The cast provided their own wardrobe because there was no budget. Extras were mostly actually pedestrians going about their day. 

The Devil Rides Out

Absolutely loved this. One of those ones where I'd been planning on watching it for ages and hadn't gotten round to it. I like how it starts with a very simple premise and then just goes deeper and deeper into the horror. There's some shaky moments with the effects, but I'd say that's understandable.

9/10

The Devil Rides Out
Absolutely loved this. One of those ones where I'd been planning on watching it for ages and hadn't gotten round to it. I like how it starts with a very simple premise and then just goes deeper and deeper into the horror. There's some shaky moments with the effects, but I'd say that's understandable.
9/10

Along with Witchfinder General, probably my favourite Hammer.

27 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Along with Witchfinder General, probably my favourite Hammer.

Aye, that is a fantastic movie as well. I'm gonna have to do a run through of a load of old hammer movies at one point. So many that I haven't seen yet.

A Quiet Place -- I can't think of a recent horror movie that's so unrelentingly tense and frankly terrifying as this. And usually once you see the creature, it loses its power but this one somehow managed to retain its scare value. Brilliantly done. 9/10

A Quiet Place - 4/10

I'll go against the grain and say it was rubbish. A reasonable idea but I found it very dull, and (without going into spoilers) various “why would they not just do *this*” type issues. Don’t get the fuss about it at all.

Went with four other people, none of whom thought much of it either.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

19 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

A Quiet Place - 4/10

I'll go against the grain and say it was rubbish. A reasonable idea but I found it very dull, and (without going into spoilers) various “why would they not just do *this*” type issues. Don’t get the fuss about it at all.

Went with four other people, none of whom thought much of it either.

If you thought A Quiet Place was bad, you should try watching Truth or Dare. Truly woeful stuff. 

I would agree that A Quiet Place is getting a much easier time that it really should be getting though. It's decent but I left the cinema feeling like it wasted a pretty good idea and concept. I'd say underwhelming rather than rubbish.

The only real complaint about A Quiet Place I had (well, okay, I had two ... maybe three) was given the situation they were in, it was ridiculously irresponsible for John Krasinski to get Emily Blunt knocked up. I'd be like, "Look, Emily Blunt. I don't care how much you want it. It's either up the bum or nothing, love."

FWIW. #2 was the lingering shot on a nail in the floorboard, #3 was the last five seconds.

Other than that, I thought it was a triumph.

Edited by MSU

Ghost Stories 8/10

Didn’t have particularly high expectations going into this, even though I knew it was adapted from a critically-acclaimed stage play.  One glance at the cast list, an underwhelming bunch of British comedy and character actors - Paul Whitehouse, Martin Freeman - made me think it was likely to be a bit rubbish. Wrong. That was the point. It played like a satire of post-Brexit Britain - dismal grey skies, dreary pubs, abandoned buildings, parochial caravan parks, jaundiced humour and barely-suppressed racism combined to create a menacing, hopeless atmosphere. The experience is not unlike a creaky ghost train ride at a crap British seaside town.  A cinematic kindred spirit of  Banksy’s Dismaland. Kudos to directors Andy Nyman and Jeremy Dyson. Look forward to seeing what they do next.

Edited by Frankie S

Swingers

1996, Vince Vaughn looking unbelievably skinny. Great soundtrack. Can't honestly say I loved it (maybe a bit too old to relate to the guys on the prowl stuff) but it's clearly very influential. Ditch one of the guys, throw in a pretty girl instead and some song and dance routines and you've got LaLa Land. 

Glad to have watched it anyway - 7/10.