What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Watched a lot of films recently.

Aliens 9/10

Excellent film, hadn't seen it in years. Gripping, quality characters, brilliant effects, "GAME OVER MAN" what's not to love?

Wonder woman ?/10

Looked like it was pretty shite, but was talking with ppl the whole way thru it and didn't really pay attention.

Baby Driver 6/10

Not overly impressed, although fairly enjoyable and had don from mad men in it. Not a fan of the good guy forced to be baddy trope either.

Star Wars episode VII: the force awakens  7.5/10

Been waiting for 30 years for the title to fit into the theme tune and they named it so that it did. V. happy about this. Watched it for the second time and enjoyed it as much as the first watch. Entertaining film, while following the plot of the original, but who cares, it's a good watch.

Star Wars episode VIII: the last Jedi 7/10

Another entertaining film without being groundbreaking. The graphics in this we're fantastic and while it dragged on maybe a little too long, was pretty good throughout.

Alien Covenant 7/10

I quite liked Prometheus and this felt quite similar. Absolutely gruesome in parts, but you expect that from alien films.

Blade runner 2049 5/10

I didn't really get this film, found it a bit tricky to follow the plot and it was very slowly paced as well. It looked impressive and had a very dreary oppressive feel to it, but it I didn't enjoy it that much.

Lawless........8/10

Tom Hardy is one of three brothers running moonshine from the wilds of Virginia during the prohibition period which is tolerated by the local law who take their cut and everyone is happy. A new lawman is then sent from the big city to crack down on the moonshine stills which ends up in murder and mayhem.

The Drop..........7/10

Tom Hardy and James Gandolfini are nephew and uncle who run a New York bar which has been taken over by mobsters as a money drop for local crime gang. Bar is robbed one night which leads to things going downhill fast. There is a side story of a wee dog which is apparently cute if you like that sort of thing. A few twists on the way which I enjoyed.

(40)

Red Sparrer 5/10

Flat plot, flat performances, boring af first half, hilarious accents, BUT, I thought the script was really tight, like Chekhov’s Guns all over the place smartly brought together in the denouement, also I thought the violence and nudity were done very tastefully and with great purpose. Could have been a really great film in here if it were done differently, it really picked up in the last third. (cinema)

(41-42)

Killer of Sheep 9/10

LA neo-realist piece from the late 70s, really beautiful and sad, can’t recco it enough. (DVD)

Do The Right Thing 9/10

Spike Lee’s best, recently voted as film of the 80s by S&S, not far off I’d venture! (ok.ru stream)

Justice League 

4/10

SPOILERS BELOW!

A silly mess with shite CGI (Superman's moustache!). Some good moments but it was clearly rushed, and as a result felt utterly inconsequential. Steppenwolf was shite (the CGI was comically bad for him) and just didn't feel like a threat. Even when he was throwing the heroes around, they were getting right back up and were fine, so it felt like there were little consequences to his actions. He was also beaten incredibly easily.  The whole 'Mother Box' stuff just wasn't explored or explained enough so you never felt it was really a threat. He was supposed to be taking over the world, but when he got all of the Mother Boxes nothing much happened save some silly CGI growth and a small Russian family being scared. Plus who is the 'mother' he was referring to?

Basically they hadn't built the universe or the characters, so you got crazily quick arcs for the likes of Cyborg, Aquaman and Flash, which just made them feel like filler and folk you didn't really care about.

Also the scene where they just forgot about the final Mother Box is deeply stupid and makes everyone seem like a moron, but also hugely diminishes the threat they supposedly carry.

The film doesn't give you anything to care about. It's a sloppy mess.

Justice League 
4/10

SPOILERS BELOW!

A silly mess with shite CGI (Superman's moustache!). Some good moments but it was clearly rushed, and as a result felt utterly inconsequential. Steppenwolf was shite (the CGI was comically bad for him) and just didn't feel like a threat. Even when he was throwing the heroes around, they were getting right back up and were fine, so it felt like there were little consequences to his actions. He was also beaten incredibly easily.  The whole 'Mother Box' stuff just wasn't explored or explained enough so you never felt it was really a threat. He was supposed to be taking over the world, but when he got all of the Mother Boxes nothing much happened save some silly CGI growth and a small Russian family being scared. Plus who is the 'mother' he was referring to?
Basically they hadn't built the universe or the characters, so you got crazily quick arcs for the likes of Cyborg, Aquaman and Flash, which just made them feel like filler and folk you didn't really care about.
Also the scene where they just forgot about the final Mother Box is deeply stupid and makes everyone seem like a moron, but also hugely diminishes the threat they supposedly carry.
The film doesn't give you anything to care about. It's a sloppy mess.

Just watched wonder woman there after already seeing Justice League and I'd score JL a 2 or 3 compared with WW.

The Expendables 2 - 3/10

I was lying on the couch, and it came on last night, the remote was on the other side of the room and I couldn't be arsed getting up to get it so ended up watching this in its entirety!!!

Poorly scripted and poorly edited with a couple of continuation mistakes that bothered me more than they should have. Jet Li baled out of this film (literally) in the first 5 minutes and was never seen again, I probably should have followed!!!

None of these guys are ever going to win oscars, in Stallone's case, again, but surely somebody must have had a final say as to its suitability for release!!!

If you were willing to overlook the shitty production it was actually an enjoyable block of brain cheese, definitely has plenty action, plenty of bloody overkills and sometimes some very smart one liners and although quite two dimensional, I did find Van Damne to be a quite enjoyable villain!!!

Out of the three points I've given it, one is for the idea, one is for Schwarzenegger & Willis in their escape car and one is for Chuck Norris - just because!!!

The Expendables 3 is on Ch5 on Tuesday, I might just watch it!!!

2 hours ago, Christophe said:

(43-44)

Breakfast Club 9/10

Still gr8. (Netflix)

Meru 8.1/10

Mountain climbing doco, luv it. (Netflix)

Watched Breakfast Club for the first time in a couple of years last Friday. It's still great, even if Judd Nelson is about the same age as Carl the Janny.

Tomb Raider -- The plot is bobbins and the baddies are cardboard cut-outs and there is an awful lot of Lara Croft hanging on to ledges and it contains some truly awful dialog ("Sacrifice one ... to save millions!" says Lara's dad sounding like a Mitchell & Webb character), but dammit it was enjoyable and Alicia Vikander is amazing. Much like Game Night, the more you think about it, the less sense it makes and there's a scene pretty much at the end when they're positioning the sequel that pretty much renders everything before it as avoidable. Alicia Vikander, tho. Aye, out of two, likes ... (6/10)

Edited by MSU

On 05/03/2018 at 12:28, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Watched Coco with the family last night, great fun, good story, thoroughly enjoyed 7/10

Enjoyed this too. Not quite as good as inside out - felt Coco took a bit too long to set up the story - but potentially another one of pixar's greats IMO. Good twist (although my 8 year old suspected it), and a classic Disney ending. One of best original soundtrack from Disney in a while too. 8.5/10

Ferdinand- enjoyable if a bit formulaic in places. Few decent laughs as well. 6/10

I need to watch some grown up films soon.

Who's the hotter Lara Croft in everybody's opinion, Angelina or this new lass, not seen the new version yet, but she's going to have to go some to beat AJ in her pert prime!!![emoji7]