What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

I need your help guys to remind me about a film I watched over last two years since I got the delights of Firestick apps. I've kept records of everything i've watched but I seem to have missed this one.

Low budget British horror thing based in old church where couple of ghost hunter types set up remote cameras to record strange goings on.

It ends with them running through  underground tunnel and stuff.

I'm old enough that nothing scares me but I found this really creepy and i'd like to scare the shit out my kids.

56 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

I need your help guys to remind me about a film I watched over last two years since I got the delights of Firestick apps. I've kept records of everything i've watched but I seem to have missed this one.

Low budget British horror thing based in old church where couple of ghost hunter types set up remote cameras to record strange goings on.

It ends with them running through  underground tunnel and stuff.

I'm old enough that nothing scares me but I found this really creepy and i'd like to scare the shit out my kids.

The Borderlands?

On 02/02/2018 at 01:55, supermik said:

I, Tonya. 7/10.

A style of film that is probably not to everybody’s taste with all the talking to the cameras stuff. She did appear to have a shit life and her maw was a total harridan, and her hubby was a p***k. Having watched it though I do believe that she knew nothing about the attack to Kerrigan. Totally loved the very last words though.

Went to see this with low expectations .   It was good. Really enjoyed it. Laughed out loud at some of it  Brilliant director. Made the film flow just right.   Same story told by 5 (I think) people who were all involved in her career  and each story differs.  Hard to think of a more black comedy.  I mean it was bleak.  Her mother was  a harridan, and yes, her husband was a p***k, but she rose above all the shit that was thrown at her. 

Game Night -- Enjoyable nonsense with Jason Bateman being the best Jason Bateman he can be. Owes more than a tip of the hat to The Game and by the time all the twists and turns have ironed themselves out, nothing of what you've watched makes much sense. But it was pretty funny, if forgettable. 6/10

Lady Bird - 9/10 (cinema)

Probably the best film I’ll see this year. Absolutely loved it. Saoirse Ronan is wonderful, as is Timothee Chalamet. Wasn’t convinced by Laurie Metcalf, as the mother, until a scene near the end, which was utterly beautiful. Great Gerwig deserves a hell of a lot of credit for the writing, it’s fantastic.

Eyein the sky (Netflix)

Not bad but a few issues with it, maybe it's me but Alan Rickman and Helen Mirren seemed a bit uncomfortable doing it, the moral question of how much effort the powers that be will put in to save the life of a young girl who could be collateral damage in a drone operation to thwart a terror attack is the theme of the film, I'm in two minds as to wether this would be an accurate depiction considering the amount of innocent people who have been caught in a drone strike or is it how they'd like us to see it. Impossible desicion to make of course .

As for the movie itself , lots of familiar faces and certainly keeps your attention throughout. 7/10

Edited by Co.Down Hibee

On 2/25/2018 at 02:40, MSU said:

Game Night -- Enjoyable nonsense with Jason Bateman being the best Jason Bateman he can be. Owes more than a tip of the hat to The Game and by the time all the twists and turns have ironed themselves out, nothing of what you've watched makes much sense. But it was pretty funny, if forgettable. 6/10

Agree with this.  Quite enjoyed the film and it passed very quickly.  Quite a few moments where I couldn't actually hear the film as the audience were all laughing so hard!

I'd give it a 7/10.  Loved the scenes where it was just a car driving to a house but they made it look like it was a game.  

3 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

Loved the scenes where it was just a car driving to a house but they made it look like it was a game.  

Yeah, those scenes were great. The bit with the dog and the leaking wound was worth the free admittance with my MoviePass card alone.

(30-32)

I, Tonya 8/10

I thought this was great, really funny and really sad and quite brutal and really made you think. Really like the trope of several unreliable narrators, the film makes it clear which side it sits on, but it lets you decide for yourself. I think the main thing is you do feel sorry for Tonya but like nothing is ever her fault. Didn’t think Alison Janney was all that brilliant tbh, I mean she was very good but people have been going bonkers haven’t they. There’s a great bit in the credits where they show a real interview with the Shawn Eckhardt character and you find out he really is as utterly deluded and beyond stupid as the film makes him out to be, great comic turn from...can’t remember his name. Sebastian Stan was excellent as Jeff Gilooly I thought! But this was Robbie’s film, there’s one scene when she’s looking in the mirror in full costume and make up, in absolute pieces and trying to force herself to smile. Could not give less of a shit about figure skating but the set pieces were astonishing. Great film. (cinema)

Ladybird 7.5/10

Coming of age drama, follows most of the usual tropes of the genre and if I was going to be harsh I would say it was a bit predictable but it did it all in so much more an engaging and appealing way than the usual that I can’t complain really. Saoirse Ronan was so good as Ladybird and special mention for Tracey Letts who wasn’t in it much but really really great as well. (cinema)

Free Fire 7.5/10

Ben Wheatly’s latest is a stylised shoot-out in a warehouse, spread out over a slightly unnecessary two hours. Basically a weapons deal goes tits up, guns are fired, people die. But there are great performances all round (particularly from Armie Hammer and Cillian Murphy), some great lines. Think I’ve seen it described as “Reservoir Dogs on coke” which is pretty accurate if you ignore all the Dogs’ flashback sequences and just focus on its own warehouse bit. Anyway, enjoyable fluff. (Amazon Prime)

Irvine Welsh's Ecstasy (DVD)

4/10

Loosely based on the last story of the book of the same name. This just felt cheap and was pretty dull. The attempted Scottish accents from the non Scottish cast who were playing Scottish characters were dreadful, mostly coming off as sounding more Russian. Most of the characters were shallow cliches and utterly inconsequential.

Geostorm

2/10 but also 7/10

Fucking nonsense with cheesy acting, cheesy lines, wildly telegraphed plot turns and devices and a disdain for reality that borders on admirable. Utter, utter garbage.

However it falls in to the 'so bad it's good category and is highly entertaining and enjoyable.

On 2/1/2018 at 23:47, welshbairn said:

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, 8/10. Frances McDormand is a cracking actress. My only gripe was a couple of actors playing too stupid for comic effect, and to make the audience feel clever. But it was meant to be a black comedy, so you have to allow some slap stick in a dark tale. Great short story though, you could imagine Elmore Leonard writing it.

P.S. The introduction of black characters and a dwarf also seemed to be to lighten the mood for comic effect. Seemed a bit clumsy.

I went to watch it with a squeeze last night and thought it was thoroughly enjoyable.  Easily an 8/10.  Could easily have been mawkishly sentimental but was saved by its black humour.

9 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

I went to watch it with a squeeze last night and thought it was thoroughly enjoyable.  Easily an 8/10.  Could easily have been mawkishly sentimental but was saved by its black humour.

giphy.gif