What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Napoleon Dynamite (2004):

While it was charming and drew a smile from me throughout, I found there little to care about past Napoleon and Pedro. They were awkward, pleasant and silly, but they began to wear pretty thin due to not having any meat on their bones beyond doing the same bit over and over. Seeing Napoleon struggle doing simple things was quite funny at times. This lasted for about half an hour and he didn't have much else other than the same, albeit funny, reactions to things. 

The fact that nothing really happens didn't bother me as it was about the main characters. Including a proper through line probably wouldn't have suited it due to trying to encapsulate a young outsider's high school life; an uneventful life makes even the most nondescript events seem cataclysmic. However, I thought that it could have been more interesting as a mini-series. There are tiny arcs and "lessons" which, when looked at, could have fit into separate episodes and wouldn't have left us with an our or so of not much happening before cramming a plot in at the end. It generates an uneven pace. 

Early Man -- Aardman nonsense with a prehistoric setting for the invention of football. Maybe because I was watching it with an American audience and a lot of the jokes passed by unnoticed, but this was surprisingly flat for me. Quite a dull story and lacking a memorable character apart from a pig that was basically Gromit with trotters. Wasn't terrible, just pretty forgettable. Great animation, as you'd expect. 5/10

Sorcerer
(Remastered version recorded off the telly recently)

Roy Scheider stars in a Top Gear jungle special set to a scary electronic theme.

A random bunch of terrorists, crooks and gangsters from around the world coincidentally end up hiding out in South America labouring for an oil company. Have to drive some trucks full of unstable explosives through the jungle and over a mountain. What could possibly go wrong?

Pretty good - has that tough, relentless feel. You can see he has taken bits from French connection but gone a bit mad with the budget and music. Get the sense that the crew and director were enjoying mountains of the local marching powder when making this. 

8/10

48 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Sorcerer

Roy Scheider stars in a Top Gear jungle special set to a scary electronic theme.

A random bunch of terrorists, crooks and gangsters from around the world coincidentally end up hiding out in South America labouring for an oil company. Have to drive some trucks full of unstable explosives through the jungle and over a mountain. What could possibly go wrong?

Pretty good - has that tough, relentless feel. You can see he has taken bits from French connection but gone a bit mad with the budget and music. Get the sense that the crew and director were enjoying mountains of the local marching powder when making this. 

8/10

That is a classic. I believe it's a remake of a French film called "wages of fear".

I've never seen the original.

O Lucky Man!

Freaky 70s road movie starring Malcolm McDowell as a travelling coffee salesman who ends up in all kinds of fucked up situations. Arthur Lowe from Dad's Army also makes an appearance.

They must have been on some pretty strong drugs in the 70s. I can't imagine a film like that being made today.

9/10

Sorcerer
8/10
Tangerine Dream do the soundtrack[emoji106]

On 2/17/2018 at 22:37, NewBornBairn said:

Just watched this, thought it was superb with parts that were truly moving. Just give Frances McDormand the Oscar now, you won't see a better performance this year.

Well she won Best Actress at the Baftas, and it also got Best Screenplay, Best Film, Best supporting actor and Outstanding British Film. Well deserved too I reckon.

32 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Well she won Best Actress at the Baftas, and it also got Best Screenplay, Best Film, Best supporting actor and Outstanding British Film. Well deserved too I reckon.

I loved it, but I also think that the only one it deserved was Sam Rockwell's supporting award. Maybe Original Screenplay at a push. 

I've not seen I, Tonya or Lady Bird yet so can't comment on their leads. Not that there's any doubt that the four acting awards are sealed anyway. Best Director should go to GDT - although there's a good case for Nolan and Peele - and the other three "big ones" (two screenplays and Best Picture) are really up in the air. 

Black Panther.

I couldn't help shake the feeling I had seen this before. And I had, it's like a live action remake of The Lion King, the similarities are striking. I really, really, really don't like superhero films but went to see this and I was pleasantly surprised. I can easily see why it's not for everyone but it earns a 7/10 for me. Not something I'd watch again, but very glad I seen it.

Kill Hasselhoff

For a film starring some comedians and one I generally like a lot (Jim Jeffries) this is one of the least funny films I've seen in a long time. It was made by the WWE studios so I'm not surprised it sucked. Avoid at all costs.

2/10

12 hours ago, GrahamJags said:

The Shape Of Water - 0/10 (cinema)

The worst film I’ve seen in a long, long time. Don’t get the awards buzz at all. Seldom been so raging leaving the cinema, just because of how much I hated it.

Why?