What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Red State.

A 2011 film from Kevin Smith, added it my SKY planner mainly because I saw the late, great Michael Parks in the cast, one of my favourite actors of all time. Also stars John Goodman.

Basic bio and opening half hour was promising, three testosterone fuelled teenagers answer an online advert for no strings sex, only to be duped, drugged and kidnapped by Parks' mentalist cult followers. Then it sadly tails off downhill, the remaining hour a fairly nondescript pastiche of the David Koresh/Waco siege of the early 90's. Parks still excells as the mentallist, warped god fearing preacher with a sadistic twist but the remainder is rather 'meh' and predictable, loads of random gunshots and the occasional Walking Dead style headshot.

4/10 for Parks alone, the rest can f**k off.

Just saw The Last Jedi. It's literally a collection of remade scenes from all the old ones, like they just decided that it worked last time so let's do it again. Off the top o f my head, some of the scenes they lifted (maybe best not to read if you haven't seen it yet) :

Rebel evacuation running into star destroyer blockade.

X-Wing attack on the Death Star/dreadnought.

Sneaking onto the Death Star to disable the tractor beam/tracker.

Young Jedi seeking out master on remote planet for training.

Young Jedi venturing down mysterious hole to confront fears.

Young Jedi being taken to the Emperor by evil Jedi and tempted to turn to the dark side as they watch the rebels die.

Evil Jedi turning on the Emperor.

Millennium Falcon showing up in the nick of time to help out rebels.

Millennium Falcon flying through caves like the inside of Death Star.

Hoth rebel base assault with AT-ATs.

This is pretty much the whole movie. Poor effort, although I thought it was surprisingly witty in places.

(9)

Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri 7/10

Oscar season kicks off with a morally-complex talkie-thriller from In Bruges director Martin McDonagh. 

Spoilers possibly:

Frances McDormand is pissed that the police haven’t solved the murder/rape of her daughter and begins a campaign to try and get them to pull their collective finger out. They do but it riles up a whole situation and things spiral out from there.

The basics of the film are good - all the acting is top shelf US indiewood, serious and occasionally funny and melancholy, it looks good and the script makes a lot of sense - not just in plotting but leaving little details out and...WHAM...resolving it later. Proper “got a good mark in my writing Masters” stuff. 

You could probably pick holes in it from an ethical standpoint but here’s my basic qualm: I think we’ve needed a film that approaches something sensitive from a more nuanced position for a while and this tries to be it. Problem is it tries to tackle everything at once: women’s issues, gay issues, racism, disablism, institutional issues, patriarchy, family complications, illness, America, the media. You name it. Apart from transgenderism , it’s here. And naturally, things suffer for it. 

But basically it is a good film with some tart dialogue that heads down a lightly incredulous route 2/3rds of the way in, but I was ok with that. It’s like a Coen Bros film but for people who think the Coen have gone crap of late. (cinema)

(9)
Oscar season kicks off with a morally-complex talkie-thriller from In Bruges director Martin McDonagh. 
Spoilers possibly:
Frances McDormand is pissed that the police haven’t solved the murder/rape of her daughter and begins a campaign to try and get them to pull their collective finger out. They do but it riles up a whole situation and things spiral out from there.

The basics of the film are good - all the acting is top shelf US indiewood, serious and occasionally funny and melancholy, it looks good and the script makes a lot of sense - not just in plotting but leaving little details out and...WHAM...resolving it later. Proper “got a good mark in my writing Masters” stuff. 
You could probably pick holes in it from an ethical standpoint but here’s my basic qualm: I think we’ve needed a film that approaches something sensitive from a more nuanced position for a while and this tries to be it. Problem is it tries to tackle everything at once: women’s issues, gay issues, racism, disablism, institutional issues, patriarchy, family complications, illness, America, the media. You name it. Apart from transgenderism , it’s here. And naturally, things suffer for it. 
But basically it is a good film with some tart dialogue that heads down a lightly incredulous route 2/3rds of the way in, but I was ok with that. It’s like a Coen Bros film but for people who think the Coen have gone crap of late. (cinema)
I think that was what I was trying to say a couple of pages back. Really enjoyed it.

17 hours ago, Christophe said:

(9)

Spoilers possibly:

Reveal hidden contents

Loved it 10/10. Rockwell was magnificent as he usually is. My only concern is how many of these types of communities exist throughout the U S of A? A frightening amount I hazard a guess.

Edited by Joe Terrapin

Get out 
8/10
Black guy goes to visit his white gfs parents who aren't all they seem. Enjoyable film 
Sky movies

Watched this lady night. Still not quite sure if I enjoyed it or not. Certainly not a bad film.

11 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

(5)
Darkest hour - cinema

Winston Churchill had big decisions to make, to make what Britain is today. Another good film i have seen this year. It's not action packed. More story telling.

8/10

Thought it was pretty done, if targeted at an American audience.  There's not much in it I didn't know before watching.  The acting is just terrific.  There's an absolute clunker of a scene on the underground, but otherwise a solid 7 for me.  Two hours passed in a jiffy.  

Also saw Wind River, on the plane.  Kind of disappointed.  There's a terrific film in there somewhere, but other than a great lead performance by Jeremy Renner, who I've always regarded as a character actor more than a lead,  I wasn't really feeling it.  Maybe it needs the big screen.  The actress playing the FBI agent didn't really bring much.  Insomnia is a much better film with vaguely similar themes.  Nowhere near as good as Hell or High Water. 5/10

Guardians of the Galaxy volume 2 (Sky Cinema)

Not quite as good as the first but still an excellent film. Never expected these to be my favourite films in the MCU and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Clever, funny, looks amazing and a quality soundtrack. Cat Stevens at the end took the biscuit. Baby Groot steals the show as well

Darkest Hour. 

8/10 for me. Very enjoyable even if the cinema stunk of piss and werther's :o 

Surprising (for me only perhaps) amount of youngsters in viewing it I must admit.

Thought it was pretty done, if targeted at an American audience.  There's not much in it I didn't know before watching.  The acting is just terrific.  There's an absolute clunker of a scene on the underground, but otherwise a solid 7 for me.  Two hours passed in a jiffy.  
Also saw Wind River, on the plane.  Kind of disappointed.  There's a terrific film in there somewhere, but other than a great lead performance by Jeremy Renner, who I've always regarded as a character actor more than a lead,  I wasn't really feeling it.  Maybe it needs the big screen.  The actress playing the FBI agent didn't really bring much.  Insomnia is a much better film with vaguely similar themes.  Nowhere near as good as Hell or High Water. 5/10
I didn't mind the underground scene even if it took a few liberties - I think it was to represent the fact that Churchill was known to go AWOL in London and speak to ordinary people to get their views - also to emphasise that Halifax and Chamberlain were at odds with the general views of the populace.