What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Bladerunner 2049 - 9/10

Does complete justice to the original. Best viewed as a companion piece rather than a sequel, I think. Probably the best looking film I’ve ever seen. 3D for once isn’t a superfluous gimmick. An amazing film, and, like Twin Peaks: The Return, better than I had hoped for.

16 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Bladerunner 2049 - 9/10

Does complete justice to the original. Best viewed as a companion piece rather than a sequel, I think. Probably the best looking film I’ve ever seen. 3D for once isn’t a superfluous gimmick. An amazing film, and, like Twin Peaks: The Return, better than I had hoped for.

Agree pretty much with that and would give it 9/10 too.

Wasn't sure about 3D so only watched it in 2D as I had read a couple of reviewers saying there was no benefit with 3D, although I can think of at least 3 or 4 scenes that would be enhanced so will try it in 3D on my next viewing.

I was never a 10/10 for the original, more a 8/10 so more than happy with the new one.  Also have to say that Ana De Armas is stunningly beautiful.

Agree pretty much with that and would give it 9/10 too.
Wasn't sure about 3D so only watched it in 2D as I had read a couple of reviewers saying there was no benefit with 3D, although I can think of at least 3 or 4 scenes that would be enhanced so will try it in 3D on my next viewing.
I was never a 10/10 for the original, more a 8/10 so more than happy with the new one.  Also have to say that Ana De Armas is stunningly beautiful.

I’d never seen a 3D movie before, but I was blown away at times. Even something as insignificant as the snow, or the captioning being further towards the viewer than the actors impressed me. Basically everything in the air was doubly impressive, for me.

There were quite a few very attractive women in that film. My one mark off was for Harrison Ford, who at first seemed to get the mood way off.

Blade Runner 2049.

I don't like remakes/sequels/prequels years after the original but this hit all the right notes. Devastated to read that it's fairing miserably in the box office because it means we'll get less lovingly made films like this and instead get the hastily made 'boom' films.

Terrific film and whilst not as good as the original, it's the closest of probably all modern day sequel/remake style films that we've seen a spate of over the past decade or so.

Blade Runner 2049

In many ways it's themes of identity and memory, the limits of how we define a human are more layered than in the original movie, and in some ways felt closer to Dick's source material - if not "Do Androids Dream..." then at least to the general themes Dick revisited time after time.  The character of Joi, and her nature and relationship to K being one of those very Dickian constructs, and something that adds nuance to the in universe definitions of real and fake humanity.  Also enjoyed the way the "Hero's Journey" trope was undercut by the reveal in the 3rd act, and the ending was arguably more upbeat than most of the cuts of the first movie. Again, it's quite in keeping with Philip K. Dick to eschew traditional heroes in favour of less extraordinary types of people trying (and usually failing) to fight a system.

The acting was very even and brilliant throughout, despite the familiarity of K's taciturn nature with respect to the kid in Drive, Gosling adds a lot of depth to his role, Ford manages to avoid the listless, barely giving a shit attitude he's had in the other re-visited roles of his to date and I absolutely loved Sylvia Hoeks as Luv, the atonal emotional reactions to her own, and other's actions was a highlight for me - another replicant struggling against her purpose.

The film looked and sounded gorgeous, but in the former case won't redefine Sci-Fi like the original did, and Zimmer and Co. managed to add a bit of bombast to Vangelis' original, while keeping the languid melancholy in there at the right points.  Yet, it might just have a bit extra substance over the first movie to balance out the drop in sheer style of that film.

10/10

Edited by renton

Blade Runner 2049
In many ways it's themes of identity and memory, the limits of how we define a human are more layered than in the original movie, and in some ways felt closer to Dick's source material - if not "Do Androids Dream..." then at least to the general themes Dick revisited time after time.  The character of Joi, and her nature and relationship to K being one of those very Dickian constructs, and something that adds nuance to the in universe definitions of real and fake humanity.  Also enjoyed the way the "Hero's Journey" trope was undercut by the reveal in the 3rd act, and the ending was arguably more upbeat than most of the cuts of the first movie. Again, it's quite in keeping with Philip K. Dick to eschew traditional heroes in favour of less extraordinary types of people trying (and usually failing) to fight a system.
The acting was very even and brilliant throughout, despite the familiarity of K's taciturn nature with respect to the kid in Drive, Gosling adds a lot of depth to his role, Ford manages to avoid the listless, barely giving a shit attitude he's had in the other re-visited roles of his to date and I absolutely loved Sylvia Hoeks as Luv, the atonal emotional reactions to her own, and other's actions was a highlight for me - another replicant struggling against her purpose.
The film looked and sounded gorgeous, but in the former case won't redefine Sci-Fi like the original did, and Zimmer and Co. managed to add a bit of bombast to Vangelis' original, while keeping the languid melancholy in there at the right points.  Yet, it might just have a bit extra substance over the first movie to balance out the drop in sheer style of that film.
10/10

Good post. I’d take issue that this film doesn’t have the visual style of the original. I would argue that this is first film which makes 3D an essential piece of both the cinematography and the plot. Roger Deakins is a racing certainty for an Oscar.

Deepwater Horizon (Netflix)

Inspired by the tragic events which saw 11 people lose their lives in the worst oil rig disaster in US history, Mark Walbherg ,Kirk Russell and John Malcovich  give good performances...a lot of blue collar banter at the start which drags a bit and a bit too much technical talk which doesn't really enlighten you as to what the problem was with the rig( or maybe that's just me). but overall a good film.7/10

Deepwater Horizon (Netflix)
Inspired by the tragic events which saw 11 people lose their lives in the worst oil rig disaster in US history, Mark Walbherg ,Kirk Russell and John Malcovich  give good performances...a lot of blue collar banter at the start which drags a bit and a bit too much technical talk which doesn't really enlighten you as to what the problem was with the rig( or maybe that's just me). but overall a good film.7/10

I liked that the didn't dumb down the technical aspect too much. Having worked in the industry I felt that was refreshing. I find it hard to believe the 'company' man was quite so reckless but Americans be cray cray. Again too much American-isms which make it cringy in places but did a good job of showing the people who lost their lives just doing their job. The media often forgot about them in the midst of the environmental disaster.

Just in from seeing Blade Runner 2049 on IMAX and can only echo what others have said.

It's visually stunning, the acting superb and the entire storyline deeply philosophical.

I too had doubts about the 3D  showing and watched the 2D version and will probably go back and watch it in 3D but I would suggest to everyone to watch it in IMAX if at all possible.

Just in from seeing Blade Runner 2049 on IMAX and can only echo what others have said.
It's visually stunning, the acting superb and the entire storyline deeply philosophical.
I too had doubts about the 3D  showing and watched the 2D version and will probably go back and watch it in 3D but I would suggest to everyone to watch it in IMAX if at all possible.

Blade Runner 2049

Thank you. Went to my first ever IMAX screening. Travelled 25 miles from my usual cinema after your recommendation and it blew my mind. Wow what a film, visuals and incredible sound mixed with brilliant story and acting. 10/10

I know where I’ll go for the next Star Wars instalment.

(178-182)

Few to round-up...

IT - 5/10

Quite well made but bit daft (cinema)

God's Own Country - 7.5/10

Kind of bleak but also quite sweet film, thought the main guy was absolutely brilliant in the part but everyone else just sort of ok really (cinema)

Daphne - 6.5/10

Imagine 'Fleabag' but without the laughs and not quite as well observed but still pretty decent, took a while to get on to its stride (first half hour wasn't really buying into it) but got there in the end (cinema)

In Between - 7.5/10

3 young Arabic women living in Tel Aviv, 2 of them extremely secular and raging against their backgrounds 1 of them quite religious, so you can kind of imagine some of the issues, pretty well done though (cinema)

Don't Kill It - 4/10

Dolf Lungren as a demon hunter? Total b-movie. Surprisingly gory in parts. Killed 90 minutes (Netflix)

Edited by Christophe

Dr Stranglove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
I've watched this several times before and it's a film I come back to every couple of years. An absolute masterpiece with virtuoso performances from both Peter Sellers and George C Scott. 
10/10

Gentleman! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room [emoji38]

On 12/10/2017 at 00:28, Arch Stanton said:

It's better in 3D.  There is a significant element of the plot which necessitates the 3D.