What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Wind River 7/10 

Solid enough. Jeremy Renner is the strong, silent type, Elizabeth Olsen the fresh faced FBI agent with big doe eyes. A wee bit like The KIlling with less rain and more snow. Wasn't too sold on the final act but overall a decent way to kill the time. 

(174)

Wind River 4/10

Don't believe the hype, this was just a bog standard fairly predictable thriller with everyone except the main protaganist pretty one-dimensional (especially all the red indians) whilst dressing it all up as some kind of social justice film. Another fairly obvious sop to white audiences to make the main character a white for no obvious reason when he lives in a native community, works as a hunter, has native ex-wife etc. Getting  bit tired of that shit in 2017. (cinema)

Mother 5/10

Enjoyed the first half of this. and was settling in for a claustrophobic home invasion horror movie,  but it quickly degenerated into heavy-handed allegorical guff. What could have been a decent genre flick morphed into a self-indulgent fable. It's hard to resist the conclusion  that Aronofsky takes himself far too seriously: investing the well-worn archetype of the tortured artist (assailed by, and dependent upon, his adoring public) with unsubtle Old Testament overtones came off as self-aggrandising. Michelle Pfeiffer is absolutely wonderful in this though. 

Edited by Frankie S

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Few years since I watched it, remains a minor masterpiece. Brilliant performances, excellent dialogue, and beautifully shot. Wes Anderson's best work, IMO, and I'm a big fan of the vast majority of his films.

Ralph Fiennes, Jeff Goldblum and Bill Murray [emoji7]

Son of Saul - 8/10

Anyone attempting to touch the holocaust via film is taking massive risk by trying not to come across grotesque and crass. This is a film that conveys the utter horrifying situation in the best way I can imagine. An absolutely grim, harrowing and stunning peice. Not going to give any of the plot away but definitely watch it, unless feeling down or anything as will definitely send you over the edge.

Blade Runner. 5/10.
Will probably get slaughtered for this as it seems to be a P&B favourite, but it was just not my cup of tea. Found it to be too slow and the characters weren't interesting enough. Looks amazing though.

The story is complete gash.
Acting, visuals and music are good.

Mother! Came out thinking it was pretentious, self indulgent pish but the more I think about it the more I think I liked it.
I'm still not sure though. A couple of folk walked out in disgust about ten minutes from the end.

A few folk walked out of the showing I was at too, and those were just the ones near me who I saw in quite a large theatre.
There was also a middle-aged gent a couple of seats away from me pishing himself laughing at a lot of the violent scenes. It was all a rather weird experience, and even though a week has passed since I saw it, I keep thinking about it.

Wind River.

I liked this film, but really don't understand the point of it. It's not as good as Insomnia or The Pledge which it seems to be very similar to (Mostly the latter). Doesn't carry the same punch as The Pledge and just isn't as good. It's a decent little flick but I just sat there thinking I've seen it before whilst watching it.

If you've seen Jack Nicholson in The Pledge before seeing this, then there's not much point watching it. If you haven't, it's worth checking out.

6/10.

mother!

I'd love to go into detail here but I can't as it'd just spoiler it. It's not a film for enjoying, it's a film for experiencing. As far as experiences go 8/10. And I had to do a bit of reading afterwards as I didn't fully get it, but once I did and I pieced it together, it became a 9/10, verging on a 10. I get how people won't like it but I feel it's a travesty that it has flopped the way it has. I doubt I'll watch it again, but I loved the experience.

9/10.

The Accountant (SKY)

Very good action ,leans heavily towards a Marvel style in terms of storyline and character, Affleck does well as the autistic hero although I'm never completely at ease with people with autism cast as maths geniuses or code breaking boffin types as if it were some kind of super power but to be fair it's just a movie and an enjoyable one at that

8/10.